Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just getting started.

I've laid my hands on a 2.5 Mariner, 175 hp that has one piston burned due to a plugged carb. I'm open for suggestions as what to do to "juice" this engine without going bankrupt. It will be put on the back of a 17.5 Stratos Bass Boat when finished. It will soon be apart and while the block is in the machine shop, I want to hear from you Merc GURU's what I can do to help it breath a little easier. Nose cone/low water pick-up? Reeds? open ports? Now remember this is going to be a daily driver. Not a one off "set the water on fire" Dragon. Give me your ideas, Thanks in Advance.......mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How deep is your wallet? And what are you actually trying to achieve?
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wallet is more shallow than the water that I fish in. All I'm trying to do is a cheep thrill with some rumble. I have an aluminum welder and will be building an above the water exhaust dump, I have a nose cone, double feed that I took off a trashed lower unit and will be able to reuse it. I am interrested to see if a set of megaphones on the carbs would help. Or how about a carb spacer. Would I need to go to larger rods? I am wanting to turn around 7K. This has the capability of be a Johnny Cash "one piece at a time" motor. I am completely redoing the Stratos, like adding an extension to the front deck, up grade to dual cable steering, adding more bracing to the transom, and of course new carpet, paint and upholstery. Along with electronics. I will be running a Tach, two head temp guages, water pressure guage, volt meter. I'll be premixing fuel,also. Just looking for some ideas and thoughts to help the engine be a little more than what it came with from the factory.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatmann View Post
    My wallet is more shallow than the water that I fish in. All I'm trying to do is a cheep thrill with some rumble. I have an aluminum welder and will be building an above the water exhaust dump, I have a nose cone, double feed that I took off a trashed lower unit and will be able to reuse it. I am interrested to see if a set of megaphones on the carbs would help. Or how about a carb spacer. Would I need to go to larger rods? I am wanting to turn around 7K. This has the capability of be a Johnny Cash "one piece at a time" motor. I am completely redoing the Stratos, like adding an extension to the front deck, up grade to dual cable steering, adding more bracing to the transom, and of course new carpet, paint and upholstery. Along with electronics. I will be running a Tach, two head temp guages, water pressure guage, volt meter. I'll be premixing fuel,also. Just looking for some ideas and thoughts to help the engine be a little more than what it came with from the factory.
    Keep the motor box stock. Use the money you save to fix that hull up right. This winter get yourself a nice 2.5L block. Take your time and build it with nothing but the best parts. When it's all done, swap the power heads and have some fun. In the mean time you'll be using that beautifully restored boat with a trouble free engine. I made that decision 2 years ago and have never looked back once.

Edited: Regarding steering. Go with the SeaStar Pro.
    Steve Schefer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^Great advice

This way you'll have a healthy/reliable 175 stocker for very little outlay and ready to go very soon. Take the time to build the motor you really want without rushing it and breaking the bank or missing out on any summer time. Its summer there already aint it? Rushed builds usually end in tears, even when they start out "simple"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thank each one for your advise. It is summer here , Saturday and Sunday, they are predicting 92degrees. Water temps in most area lakes are above 70 and the fish spawn is almost over.