Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I change oil?

I just bought a 78 charger with a chevy 454. I tried changing oil this weekend using a pump. Started boat with water hose flowing, (started boat, then started water, shut off water, then shut off boat) and let it run for 4-5 minutes to heat the oil. Started pumping the oil out of dipstick and only got about 1.75 quarts. Dipstick still shows full oil level, and i can't pump any more out. Any ideas? I don't know if my pump just isn't pumping right, or if the hose from oil pump isn't reaching down far enough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of pump are you using? I have never had any trouble with the "Vacula" type suction pumps getting all the oil out especially when warm. I usually pump it up and leave it for about 15 minutes.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you using a suction pump thru the dipstick hole?

Or a hose and pump off the oil drain in the pan?

Worst case deal is pull the plug and drain it into the bilge and then tip the boat back and collect it from the drain plug in the back and flush out the bilge.

You could pull the motor up and attach a hose to your oil drain in the pan and the next time you need to change oil just run that hose out the drain hole in the back of the boat and use a pump or let it sit overnight

By the way I hope you disconnected your driveline from the pump while running the motor on the trailer or you just killed your jet pump

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark- not sure what type of pump I used. I'll check it tonight and get back to you tommorow. Can you give me more info on the "Vacula" ? Model number, etc.?

Fonz69- pump through dipstick. Worst case doesn't sound good. Don't want to do that. And I didn't disconnect driveline from the pump, can you explain further? I'm a complete noob. I've ran boat on trailer before with just hooking a water hose up to the boat and it worked fine last year when I put it in the water.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oil

First things first NEVER START THE BOAT OUT OF WATER!!!!!Its bad on the pump.It will KILL the wear ring and impeller!!!

I had the same problem with the oil, do you have a windage tray?
    Mine would hit the tray.If not make sure you are not going to far with the tube,you may be hitting the bottom of the pan and rolling back up?

I put a hose on mine after all the problems.

Good luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get small rocks or sand or road grime in your pump inbetween your impeller and wear ring and run it dry it will chew up your tolerances and your pump will need a rebuild

Or at least a new size of wear ring

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark- pump just says "12V pump" with no brand. I think it's a cheapo from Kragen's or Auto Zone.

Just A Jet- Even with a water hose hooked up to the boats it's not good to start the boat on trailer? Not sure if I have a windage tray? How can I tell? I don't think I'm hitting bottom and rolling back up, I measured the dipstick with the length of tube i was inserting, so the tube should be going down only as far as the dipstick. How much oil does a chevy 454 have in it? How many quarts? I pumped out 1.75 quartz and the dipstick still reads full. I'm wondering if the dipstick is too long and is curling along the bottom, and I am possibly empt of oil. That would mean I was low before pumping oil out though.

Fonz- got ya. the buy I bought the boat from said he was a mechanic, and told me it was ok to run the boat as long as the water hose was hooked up to it. Although, he did run the stearing line the long way around the boat, wich caused a kink, which he tried to fix with duct tape. So I'm starting to think he was only a "mechanic" in his own head.

Thanks again for all your guys's help. I'm learning a lot just from this thread. good site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you tried feeling around under the oil pan for a drain hose? Last few jets I had came with a drain hose with a plug on the end of the hose attached to the oil pan drain. Pull it out thru the hull drain and remove the cap on the end of the hose. Drains slow but does the job..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the drain plug out of the pan and let it drain in the bilge and then install a drain hose kit on the pan. I did this with the 460 in my Sanger and I just pump the oil out through the drain hose and its done in under 5 minutes. Matter of fact it works so well that I can spin off the oil filter from the block and not spill a drop of oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The suction pump that is most handy and works good is the hand pump up suction canister type. No battery needed, no mess, suck it out through the dip stick tube, usually come in 6 quart capacity. Many marine supply houses carry these pumps. I think mine was a Tempo brand. Some of those 12 Volt pumps don't work well.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CKajiwara View Post
    Mark- pump just says "12V pump" with no brand. I think it's a cheapo from Kragen's or Auto Zone.

Just A Jet- Even with a water hose hooked up to the boats it's not good to start the boat on trailer? Not sure if I have a windage tray? How can I tell? I don't think I'm hitting bottom and rolling back up, I measured the dipstick with the length of tube i was inserting, so the tube should be going down only as far as the dipstick. How much oil does a chevy 454 have in it? How many quarts? I pumped out 1.75 quartz and the dipstick still reads full. I'm wondering if the dipstick is too long and is curling along the bottom, and I am possibly empt of oil. That would mean I was low before pumping oil out though.

Fonz- got ya. the buy I bought the boat from said he was a mechanic, and told me it was ok to run the boat as long as the water hose was hooked up to it. Although, he did run the stearing line the long way around the boat, wich caused a kink, which he tried to fix with duct tape. So I'm starting to think he was only a "mechanic" in his own head.

Thanks again for all your guys's help. I'm learning a lot just from this thread. good site.

Yeah I would not trust his "mechanic" skills with the duct tape

Think of it this way, would you take a handfull of gravel and toss it in with the oil in your motor and not expect anything to go wrong?

Thats what your doing running your pump out of water

There is a product out there called a Jetaway that takes a simple movment of a colar to take your drive in and out of gear. It also acts like a saftey device in case your motor or pump were to sieze up it will save the other and you from leaving the boat and getting wet!

HI-TechPerformance designed them and sells them, here is a link to there site http://www.hi-techperformance.com/
    Last edited by Fonz69; 04-27-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plastic hose that comes with oil sucker pumps will hit the crankshaft and bend away from the bottom of the oil pan, resulting in only part of the oil being picked up.
    I took a 3 foot long section of 6.5mm brake line and made an extension for the hose. Fits straight in the dipstick tube just like the stick, and hits the bottom of the pan. Works like a charm.

Northern Tool sell something called a "Topsider" manual vacuum pump.
    Cost $40 and works much, much better than the electric oil suckers.

Here's the link..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._390306_390306
    Last edited by 7819foot; 04-28-2010 at 09:33 PM.