User Tag List

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Thunderballs" & "The Cigarette"

Charlie McCarthy has informed me that HORBA will have two highly historically significant boats at OFF2010. The 32' Cary "Thunderballs", now named "Hot Load", has been donated to HORBA for restoration. Bobby Sheer will be transporting the boat from California to Cadillac's place in Florida, hopefully in time to be on display at OFF2010. Time is not always kind to our machinery, and "Thunderballs" is no exception to that rule. She might not be real pretty YET. But you can bet that Charlie will remedy that. This is a worthy project and contributions to the cause will be gratefully received. NEXT, "The Cigarette", Don Aronow's original Formula 233 is in beautiful condition (I saw it run 2 years ago) and you will be able to place your eyeballs on it at OFF. My understanding is that this is the boat that Don gave a ride to the Beatles in. Maybe we should get Ringo here with it. When it comes to the preservation of Offshore history, Charlie's Histroic Offshore Race Boat Association (HORBA) is as good as it gets and we are very grateful for his support. Furthermore, it was the 2008 Charlie McCarthy organized Don Aronow Memorial Race from Sunny Isles Beach to Bimini and back, and the Brownie & Butch Stokes organized Legends Of Offshore Party that generated the idea in Jim Hauser's brain to organize OFF2009 which led to OFF2010. WOW , that was a long sentence. I wonder if my grammar was anywhere near correct. - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thunderball in it's Hayday

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Incidentally Stevo i bet you a pound to a pinch of POO-POO, The original Switzer wing was LATE!!!!!! 50'S.
    James Beard and Clive Curtis did a copy of the first one they ever saw, Called it "VOLARE" and raced it offshore, when i mentioned this i was threatened with dire concequences and told it was an original design, just seemed a little funny they were both at Havasu in November and the boat came out the end of January the following year. Might just ask Stevie Curtis [MBE, which incidentally stands for "MY BLOODY EFFORT" ] what he remembers about it all, though he was just a slip of a lad in 1970.
    Just do love to stir the pot occasionally .
    First Switzer "Wing" was 1961....you could look it up.....

Cougar started in 1969 when Curtis and Beard joined the Mamas and the Poppas to record "Dual Hull Dreamin' " an update of Angelo and the Molinari's doo wop hit, "Duke of Oil", which itself was surprizingly similar to the old spiritual, "Amazing Race", by the little known Austrian band, "The Dieters".

There is no doubt that the early Cougar Offshore boats shared the center wing/outboard cockpit layout of the Switzer design.......But!!!!!........ The Cougars were true cats.....and the Switzer Wing is a four point hydroplane. Having driven both....I can say from experience...there is a world of difference........

In truth Fabio Buzzi's early Outboard cats looked even more like Switzer wings than the Cougars..... the Cougars on the other hand....were prettier...like Stevie and the collection of World Class models that the lad has managed to decorate his arm with over the years. Young Curtis has lived the life we all deserved.............

Toodles....

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 09-13-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Smokes Rich - I didn't know you were such an expert on Rock and Roll. I often dally with words myself, but I couldn't eve begin to make up sumpin as good as "Duke of Oil"...By The Way, That's..."Duke, Duke, Duke..Duke of Oil"...We are gonna have fun next month!....Toodles???....Also, I just noticed that there was 45 minutes between your original post and your edit...That means you had to do some research in between....no fair!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=seeroy;2039509 "The Cigarette", Don Aronow's original Formula 233 is in beautiful condition (I saw it run 2 years ago) and you will be able to place your eyeballs on it at OFF. My understanding is that this is the boat that Don gave a ride to the Beatles in. Maybe we should get Ringo here with it. When it comes to the preservation of Offshore history, Charlie's Histroic Offshore Race Boat Association (HORBA) is as good as it gets and we are very grateful for his support. the Brownie & Butch Stokes organized Legends Of Offshore Party that generated the idea in Jim Hauser's brain to organize OFF2009 which led to OFF2010. WOW , that was a long sentence. I wonder if my grammar was anywhere near correct. - Steve Sirois[/QUOTE]

Steve------this is Don and the 'Beatles' thanks to John Crouse/SEARACE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene - I knew I had seen the photo somewhere......If only it had been Annette Funicello!

I assume Dr Bob has the info on OFF. Tell him to get his butt over here.
    Last edited by seeroy; 09-13-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Charlie McCarthy has informed me that HORBA will have two \"The Cigarette", Don Aronow's original Formula 233 is in beautiful condition (I saw it run 2 years ago) and you will be able to place your eyeballs on it at OFF.\\OFF2010. WOW , \ Sirois
    Steve. Legends 2008. 44 years after the 'Beatles' shot----Beautiful---
    Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 09-13-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed! And to top it off. Charlie and Owners (De Nisco) actually ran the boat in the Dan Aronow race to Bimini and back. I was on the turn 1 checkboat and it was a great feeling watching them go by....STANDING UP...like we all used to do.
    Last edited by seeroy; 09-13-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to top it off. Charlie and Friends (Owner?) actually ran the boat in STANDING UP...like we all used to do.
    Is there any other way??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gene - I knew I had seen the photo somewhere......If only it had been Annette Funicello!

I assume Dr Bob has the info on OFF. Tell him to get his butt over here.
    Doc and I flew to Utah on Saturday, Memorial Service for a departed OFF. I am working on him----

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I saw e-mail about Bill Wishnick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who remembers Annette Funicello,,,,,,,, Put your hands in the air?????????? Wasn't she a Mouseketeer????????????????????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gene lanham View Post
    doc and i flew to utah on saturday, memorial service for a departed off. I am working on him----
    that would not be "the" doc magoon would it' you know ---the original ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed! And to top it off. Charlie and Owners (De Nisco) actually ran the boat in the Dan Aronow race to Bimini and back. I was on the turn 1 checkboat and it was a great feeling watching them go by....STANDING UP...like we all used to do.
    Steve---I think Doc and I still hold the STANDING UP record: 22 hours-41 min---1257 miles-----

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another piece of magical legend-----Bill Wishnick------ read and bleed ye of wistful thinking and do nowticals

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast