User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Santa barbara, ca/boulder city, nv
    Posts
    1,033
    Thanks (Given)
    90
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    curious... where are you in ca? there aren't many of us on this list.

    -peter


    "padded wonder"
    __________
    the wet:
    Hydrostream Viper, 140 v4 crossflow, some Raker props
    16' Baja/Tahiti/Sidewinder clone, 135 v4 crossflow
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

    the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    7,912
    Thanks (Given)
    128
    Thanks (Received)
    249
    Likes (Given)
    202
    Likes (Received)
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larsonblue View Post
    The manual only shows a free-floating pinion gear and a spring and retaining nut.
    The round hub just beneth the (starter drive) bendix teeth is also a clutch. It is there as a safety factor incase the bendix wants to stay engaged with the flywheel ring gear or something else happens causing a bind. It is designed to give incase of undue load etc. More commonly called a Bendix. It operates like this.

    The starter shaft has a helix on it so when the starter spins the Bendix wants to screw up and rise engaging the flywheel ring gear. The spring pushes it back down so the bendix teeth don't stay engaged after the engine fires. The one shown below is a little different only due to the location of the return spring.


    Starter Bendix (appearance will vary)
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-8235759427918457";/* 468x60 Main */google_ad_slot = "5066613839";google_ad_width = 468;google_ad_height = 60;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT>
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

    FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    22
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    The round hub just beneth the (starter drive) bendix teeth is also a clutch. It is there as a safety factor incase the bendix wants to stay engaged with the flywheel ring gear or something else happens causing a bind. It is designed to give incase of undue load etc. More commonly called a Bendix. It operates like this.

    The starter shaft has a helix on it so when the starter spins the Bendix wants to screw up and rise engaging the flywheel ring gear. The spring pushes it back down so the bendix teeth don't stay engaged after the engine fires. The one shown below is a little different only due to the location of the return spring.


    Starter Bendix (appearance will vary)
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-8235759427918457";/* 468x60 Main */google_ad_slot = "5066613839";google_ad_width = 468;google_ad_height = 60;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT>
    That's it, with the differences you mentioned. It hits the fly wheel hard enough to make a loud noise, which makes me think it might be engaging but then the clutch disengages. However, if I manually engage the gear and then turn the key, it doesn't prematurely disengage. That makes me think the problem is voltage.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    22
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    curious... where are you in ca? there aren't many of us on this list.

    -peter
    I'm in Riverside. For you guys back east that's like being in a different state.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    kingman az
    Posts
    2,059
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afr View Post
    i go that one time from a weak battery to if its clean inside try a new bendix spring i think i comes with a new gear to but you wont need that

    i had the same problem...changed the battery and it worked fine after that...also my old battery was freshly charged and put out 12v but we put it on a load tester and it would drop conciderably when something was trying to pull from it

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    22
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afr View Post
    i go that one time from a weak battery to if its clean inside try a new bendix spring i think i comes with a new gear to but you wont need that
    I was thinking the spring might be too stiff, although springs generally get softer over time. I did notice that the pinion gear is only about halfway engaged by the flywheel.

    I'm tempted to turn the retaining nut a few turns so the gear goes in further. It makes so much noise hitting that flywheel I'm starting to wonder if it's bouncing off the retainer and coming back down.

    There's nowhere to hold the rotor so it looks like I'll have to pull the starter to do it. If I have to do that I might as well just bite the bullet and put a new pinion gear in and clean the brushes while I'm at it. Sheesh.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Quebec. Canada
    Posts
    2,411
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    The round hub just beneth the (starter drive) bendix teeth is also a clutch. It is there as a safety factor incase the bendix wants to stay engaged with the flywheel ring gear or something else happens causing a bind. It is designed to give incase of undue load etc. More commonly called a Bendix. It operates like this.

    The starter shaft has a helix on it so when the starter spins the Bendix wants to screw up and rise engaging the flywheel ring gear. The spring pushes it back down so the bendix teeth don't stay engaged after the engine fires. The one shown below is a little different only due to the location of the return spring.


    Starter Bendix (appearance will vary)
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-8235759427918457";/* 468x60 Main */google_ad_slot = "5066613839";google_ad_width = 468;google_ad_height = 60;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT>
    Thank's for picture and some advices.. A good forum for trouble shooting..... J-P

    <SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/abc.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/render_ads.js"></SCRIPT>
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    6,855
    Thanks (Given)
    114
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Voltage, voltage, voltage

    I still think it is voltage.

    If not, tear the whole thing down, clean it and put it together again.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California.
    Posts
    1,273
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larsonblue View Post
    I'm in Riverside. For you guys back east that's like being in a different state.
    LOL, yep. I live above the line. It's like being in a different country.
    Steve Schefer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Eddie Marine - Horizontal