Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lower Unit Leaking Oil

I just put a new water pump in my '82 200 Black Max. I ran it in the tank and oil oil started showing up after a couple of minutes. I'd say it leaked 1-2 oz. I cleaned the tank and ran it again. It did the same thing. Did I overfill or do I have to pull the lower unit and find the leak?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you sure it's not engine oil coming out of the exhaust? pull the drain plug and see if there is water in the gearcase.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outboards4life View Post
    are you sure it's not engine oil coming out of the exhaust? pull the drain plug and see if there is water in the gearcase.
    As sure as I know this is a 2-stroke engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larsonblue View Post
    As sure as I know this is a 2-stroke engine.
    That's what he's talking about . Your running this motor in a tub , there is going to be 2 cycle oil residue in the water . It is posable you have damaged the o ring under the water pump , or over filled the gear case with oil . With the motor level , remove the top oil plug . If oil runs out , there is to much oil in it . Now pull the lower plug out . If water comes out , you screwed up the water pump job , you just did , and your pumping water into the case . There are several other ways it can leak , but start there ,

Rich Martin 018
    HAVE BATTERIES , WILL TRAVEL !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RNM018 View Post
    That's what he's talking about . Your running this motor in a tub , there is going to be 2 cycle oil residue in the water . It is posable you have damaged the o ring under the water pump , or over filled the gear case with oil . With the motor level , remove the top oil plug . If oil runs out , there is to much oil in it . Now pull the lower plug out . If water comes out , you screwed up the water pump job , you just did , and your pumping water into the case . There are several other ways it can leak , but start there ,

Rich Martin 018
    It's clean and green. About 1/2 oz. came out the top. The oil leaking out is very black - I didn't think water immediately made oil turn black. ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    engine oil coming from the exhaust will be black.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outboards4life View Post
    engine oil coming from the exhaust will be black.
    Engine oil? The only oil in the engine is 2-stroke oil in the gas, right? Am I missing something? Even after draining some oil from the lower unit, there's oil in the tub. I just switched to the other gas tank. I mixed it at 64:1. I wouldn't think it would spit out much oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 stroke oil

Engine oil? The only oil in the engine is 2-stroke oil in the gas, right? Am I missing something? Even after draining some oil from the lower unit, there's oil in the tub. I just switched to the other gas tank. I mixed it at 64:1. I wouldn't think it would spit out much oil.
    Yes 2 stroke engine oil......lower unit oil wouldn't show up black.
    what you are seeing is spent 2 stroke oil, since you are running it in a tub the more you run it the more you will see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EXACTLY , Your gearcase is not leaking oil . What you are seeing is the unburnt oil /fuel mixture running out of the exhaust . This is the very reason , these older style outboards are no longer being produced . And have been replaced by DFI type 2 cycles , and 4 strokes .

So , just go run it , and enjoy your boat .

64:1 , Where did you come up with that ratio ? You need to step that up to 50:1 minimum . Personaly , I run mine at 40:1 , just because I run mine a bit hard sometimes .

Rich Martin 018
    Last edited by RNM018; 04-18-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    HAVE BATTERIES , WILL TRAVEL !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RNM018 View Post
    EXACTLY , Your gearcase is not leaking oil . What you are seeing is the unburnt oil /fuel mixture running out of the exhaust . This is the very reason , these older style outboards are no longer being produced . And have been replaced by DFI type 2 cycles , and 4 strokes .

So , just go run it , and enjoy your boat .

64:1 , Where did you come up with that ratio ? You need to step that up to 50:1 minimum . Personaly , I run mine at 40:1 , just because I run mine a bit hard sometimes .

Rich Martin 018
    I normally run 40:1, but I wanted to run a shade light to see if it made a difference. I put 5 gallons in my portable tank and had a 2 oz. cup handy so I put one in for each gallon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well

you wont be in the boating business long . fuel oil ratios are tried and true what are you trying to do see how long it wont last

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    you wont be in the boating business long . fuel oil ratios are tried and true what are you trying to do see how long it wont last
    I won't run under load or high rpm at that ratio, although I had one very experienced engine guy tell me you can run up to 100:1 with the newer oils. I wouldn't feel safe doing it.

It's still smoking a lot and missing even at 64:1. I've had the carbs apart and they are CLEAN. and I've replaced a bad coil. I was hoping the coil would take care of the missing problem, but I don't notice any difference. It was using 10 gph last time I took it out and I'm not confident it will do any better.

It seems like the switch boxes are the next suspect. I'm not really set up to troubleshoot the switch boxes so I'm about ready to take it into the shop. If it's a bad switch box I would have them do it anyway.