Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Busted - lawn mower engine hp ratings

I knew something has been fishy for a while, when you buy a new lawnmower and has some high HP rating and has less power than your old one at much less. Now theres a class action settlement
    https://lawnmowerclass.com/
    https://lawnmowerclass.com/LinkClick...id=149&mid=669
    https://lawnmowerclass.com/More_Info...Documents.aspx
    Last edited by euro scott; 04-12-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    Variety of stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that what they've done is stop rating HP altogether. Those numbers you see on the push mowers are torque not HP, and it's clearly stated as such. Of course, the torque rating provides a higher #, making the mower look better at a glance. Typical marketing scheme, but not dishonest, IMO.

As for taking the SAME product and rating it differently at different price points, this is nothing new. Been going on forever. (90hp vs 88hp Johnson, etc. comes to mind), and is totally legitimate, but the trick is to never OVER-rate the motor...under rating is perfectly fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got that in the mail about my exmark. Says I could get up to 75.00.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey... Thanks for posting this. I have 3 lawnmowers that are in the suit.... Very interesting stuff..

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one in the mail also. What is the idfference if my 3.5 Briggs only puts out 2.9 hp. I didn't buy it cuz of the hp rating and I can't imagine many places it would matter. Do the tree huggers have nothing else to whine about. I would like to have the amount of money that this suit will involve. Do the world a favor and shoot a lawyer today. Do not hesitate.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

6. Likes KIRCHNER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, my old 62" deck mower has a 20hp in it, I always laugh at 25hp riders with some little deck on them. Though I will say my machine barely has enough power in thick grass, it was originally designed for only a 52".

$65 million, I wonder how much the price of engines will go up. They are such a rip off now its a joke. I could buy a 24hp v twin (for like 1200) or get a big rider with the same engine in it at home depot for $300 more...figure that one out.

But hey it serves them right. Sometimes I wonder about cars these days when minivans have 250HP, I recall my 5.0 stang only had 225 and would light up the tires in a significant way. Yeah, the torque was only 300 on the mustang not that much difference.

Now if we could only do the same thing with politicians to keep them from lying....
    "As government expands, liberty contracts." -Ronald Reagan
    Liberty = boating

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sho305;1947891Sometimes I wonder about cars these days when minivans have 250HP, I recall my 5.0 stang only had 225 and would light up the tires in a significant way. Yeah, the torque was only 300 on the mustang not [I
    that [/I]much difference.

Now if we could only do the same thing with politicians to keep them from lying....
    I wonder the claimed to, HP in rides. Had an 80 corvette, one of the lowest HP in vettes, 180...but sure did pin yer ears back. Some the new junk much more claimed, don't seem any faster. if any!
    Sorry, but can't do zip with the politicians, but fire'em!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son's

My 15 year old's 63 gilson home made tractor with a few mod's done himself.[hug this]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dalton's tractor.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a Honda powered mower good luck reading the S/N. I think mine was done in dot-matrix peening by a blind monkey.
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant believe i just wasted time reading it............

let alone that someone wasted their time pursuing it.......all so Mr MARTINEZ could get $35 back.............man im ****n speechless...........with all the crap goin on right now in this country with unknown origin leaders..thievery at the highest level... etc....does anyone think that .5 hp plus or minus regards this lawyer created scam for the purpose of killing the people that had to work around the idiotic EPA rules just to make a lawnmower engine???? the beuracracy in this country is just making it impossible to frickn survive anymore....we are surrounded by MORONS.................

WET PICKLE RACING

The "UNracerxOFFICIAL"
    Home of the fastest Emission Outboard
    Motors on the planet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal observation of this started about 2002, I biought a "18" hp John Deere rider, and it had less power than the 12hp it replaced.
    Variety of stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I figured it was going this way awhile back. Better get your mowers before the price hike.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep this sucks, mowers will go sky high in price now... and some idiot will be cheerishing his $35 he got back... WOW.

I just looked at 2 mowers and a small lawn tractor I have and all have HP after the rating. I never seen one with the TQ value displayed.
    OneBigAssMistakeAmerica

"No good deed goes unpunished"

81 Sanger Alleycat

1984 21' Carrazza w/mariner magnum 2.5 200 EFI

www.rinaldi-engines.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the list for a mower and rider. My Sears 25hp rider had a Kohler and when I entered the engine numbers at the Kohler.com site it was listed as 23hp.
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by E-tec1 View Post
    let alone that someone wasted their time pursuing it.......all so Mr MARTINEZ could get $35 back.............man im ****n speechless...........with all the crap goin on right now in this country with unknown origin leaders..thievery at the highest level... etc....does anyone think that .5 hp plus or minus regards this lawyer created scam for the purpose of killing the people that had to work around the idiotic EPA rules just to make a lawnmower engine???? the beuracracy in this country is just making it impossible to frickn survive anymore....we are surrounded by MORONS.................
    Dude, ya nailed it. DOES IT FREAKING MATTER! DOES IT CUT THE DAMN GRASS?

I have a VERY OLD Snapper rider, 5 HP, STILL, does not even slow down, foot tall grass. Also, as retired, work the small motors here, OB's, mowers, who cares, bring it to me. Neighbors know me, and I get FREE mowers, off people, who give it away, with a broke pull cord! Old people, shop wants MAJOR buck, a new freaking string! I have FOUR push mower's here now, off dumb idiots..have no idea what "Stabil is for". ALL FREE!.."it won't start?"
    Carb clean, new gas, fires right up. I picked one up for free, and all I needed to do was shoot some gas in, plug out. Fired right up easy! As like the rest, "new breed", raised on EFI motors, have zero idea, what a choke is, much less, that black bulb, side of carb is for.

See daily, stupid, but here, .."LAWYERS ON THE CASE?...oh, give me a break...if it don't cut the damn grass, take it back. Grow up...

I fix mowers, and best my great runners, go $50. Better really, to forget the damn "lawn"...junk the mower, go free tree shredding stuff.."mulch"..nobody in there right mind, spends time that I know, that "perfect lawn"...is worth even to know. They do weekends mowing, while I'm out in the boat.......
    Me?..drive is all rock..front yard all natural mulch, and the many trees, keep it fed..(live rural..screw what the town .."gotta keep up with the "Jones", think. I ONLY cut the side lot, friend owns, maintain it, for parking my stuff. And the girl neighbor next lot, share an internet sig...wireless..."why pay double"?

SICK damn lawyers..whats next, .."Wife's tit got puntured, teat feeding the kid, and now he's full hot air? .."you might have compensation coming"?..or our next lawyer, then politician...
    Again, ya nailed it, ETEC..why I love those good old "Midwest boys, the Chain of Lakes freaks"...

Again, its ONLY a freaking lawn mower!..
    Last edited by Robby321; 04-12-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast