Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sand in the motor

I am new to jet boats so i would like to know if this is true. I was talking with a guy that told me about a guy who was having motor truble be cause he ran the boat to close to shre and filled the motor with sand and then over heated. what do you think the the lest depth of water would be safe to idol in and out with. At my house there is a sandbar that is about 1'-6" deep at low tide. I was also wondering if anyone tride to make a fillter or sand trap. Thanks for any input.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all end up with some sand in em. Whatever is suspended in the water will settle out while motor is at rest. Can't imagine one completely filling up but I could see one eventually getting enough to restrict flow somewhat.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jetboats tend to run cold, with all that cool water circulating through, thats why clearances on pistons, etc. are a little looser than on cars. Overheat is not usually a problem. Sand can collect in the warter passages, but.......
    More of a problem running on rivers with sand/silt in the water all the time, and a good idea, I hear is to flush your motor out immediately after use, before it has a chance to bake/settle on the inside. Lakes are not so much of a problem, except if you do a lot of sandy, shallow bottom running, I guess.
    So, I would consider flushing it out with clean water after running, or avoid sand as much as possible.
    Hope this helps, maybe get some more input.......
    G

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of jets that are actually used as jet boats rather than beer holders never run water deeper than a few feet. I run mine over exposed sand and gravel bars at times and never had it "fill" with sand. Mine has anti-freeze drains on the exhaust manifolds and the block, and they never plug enough to hold against the pressure while even idling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    three different jet motors that i have played with all had a lot of sand in them, actually for different ones