Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just A Jet View Post
    Not to thread jack here..Great Looking boat there.

Tom, what should the clearance be front,back and around?
    Do they change with HP?
    Also do they change with blower or NOS app?
    For Lake boats we like to run .026+ or - from front of WR to wear ring lip (if shouldered) or suction casting shoulder .025 Impy to WR clearance and around the same at the back side (lots of variables here , some hard to do without "machines" Might be other input here , just our way FWIW Tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tate , nice boat . if you want to start it up , look at the right side of the pump as you face the back of the boat in the engine compartment , there is a hose hooked up to the pump which runs to the top front of the intake manifold that is the water supply for the engine thats where you want to connect the hose to feed the engine with cooling water and you might want to put a spray of water into the jet intake to lube the impeller and wear ring . just dont run it too long as you might over heat the bearings in the end of the bowl . just my .02 . Gil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a hose hooked up to the pump which runs to the top front of the intake manifold that is the water supply for the engine thats where you want to connect the hose to feed the engine with cooling water
    This statement is incorrect and can get you in trouble. The hose cominig off of the pump should go to a Tee or through the exhaust manifolds, (if so equiped), and then into the engine where the water pump used to be. The engine MUST be filled from the bottom side up; Not from the top side down. Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then why do i see almost every hook up a line from the pump to the top of the intake manifold where it tees then goes to the exhaust manifolds . i believe he is looking for the water supply line not a explanation of the of the cooling system so he can start his engine .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane HTP View Post
    This statement is incorrect and can get you in trouble. The hose cominig off of the pump should go to a Tee or through the exhaust manifolds, (if so equiped), and then into the engine where the water pump used to be. The engine MUST be filled from the bottom side up; Not from the top side down. Duane HTP
    I can't count the times we get calls with over heat issues and water in oil issues from backwards and incorrectly plumbed Jet engines , In almost every application , Marine industrial and Automotive ,coolant/water flows upwards thru the engine as Duane described
    Tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you all are missing the point . the gentleman asked where to hook up a hose to run his engine out of the water and the Berkely jet drive manual in front of me says what i told him . that the cooling water supply comes from the jet drive which is where he should attach his water supply to run his engine out of water . simple i am correct .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you all are missing the point . the gentleman asked where to hook up a hose to run his engine out of the water and the Berkely jet drive manual in front of me says what i told him . that the cooling water supply comes from the jet drive which is where he should attach his water supply to run his engine out of water . simple i am correct .
    You don't understand. What you just said here is correct, so far. But it does not go to the top of the intake maniflod. Yes, the water comes from the jet on the right hand side of the pump when facing it. That is the water supply, granted. BUT, the inlet water supply does NOT go into the engine on top of the manifold. It goes into the engine where the water pump used to be. It is supposed to come OUT of the engine at the intake manifold like the picture that Tom posted. If you are dealing with a system that has a normal car water pump on it, that, may well be a different deal. But there are not many jet boats left plumbed that way today. That's where a guy can get into trouble here on these forums. What is right for one boat may not be right for the other boat. Is the Berkleley Manual you're referroing to for an engine with a water pump or without a water pump. It makes a difference to know before you start giving general advise to these people.
    Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duane again you're missing the point and making a very simple explanation extremely confusing and i do know what im talking about remember this isnt rocket science .

he wanted to know where the cooling water supply is and i explained it very clearly . he was not looking for a cooling system dissertation .

through out this thread hijack i did not see one of the Experts answer the question this gentleman asked . it seems like its more fun showing your boat prowess than it is helping people who come here looking for help .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have missed this too But this is what I gleened from his post :
    "I didn't want to crank it over without water going through it. Where does a hose get hooked up so I can do a brief test start?" ergo my statement regarding running "out of the water" in general I take for granted (and probably should'nt ) that most of the folks who have these boats understand that the jet drive itself provides water for the engine in normal operation and as a result with out the jet operating (out of the water)they need to have a water supply (garden hose) temporarily installed at the same basic source) and flowing in the same and correct direction (bottom of the engine exiting the top) Sorry for the misunderstanding Tom
    Last edited by Tom@JBP; 03-28-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, let's simplify it. You're trying to tell him WHERE the supply comes from. You are right. It comes from the pump.

I'm trying to tell him where the water should ENTER the engine to keep it filled with water and properly cooled. Not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to keep a guy from having trouble from an overheated engine. Your way may be the way to do it with a system that has a water pump. (and a lot of the earlier Pac-A-Jets came that way). It doesn't work well with most of the boats that have water plates on the front of the block. Do you see the difference? If not, give me a call.

Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Me too Tom. What threw me was the comment of the intake manifold.
    hose hooked up to the pump which runs to the top front of the intake manifold
    It sounded to me like he was trying to put the water into the engine at that point. Have a good day!
    Last edited by Duane HTP; 03-28-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If some one if un-framiliar with the jetboat cooling can cause serious damage to the engine, as well as the drive, when running off the tap. A little information goes a long ways, when diving into the hobby, and can save untold dollars, from simple mistakes. Often peole buy an assumed gem of a boat only to find it's been patched up for the hyped up buyer, who can often overlook, the obvious things a novice might see. Just because it's on the internet, does not always mean it's true, people often mean well, only to cause more grief. Take a look at the diagrams, and give the system a looksy, before attemping to run off the tap, it may save you added headaches to come. Tom and Duane give great advise here, and it's free to those who wish to learn, a great many do not partake in the forums, because of bickering and politics.... Good luck on the new ride, looks very nice
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC

UMPBA 926 Gas Jet

My Projects http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dir...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like its going to be mid 70's in NE Ohio this weekend. I will post some detailed engine pics and where I think the water should go and you guys can clarify it its right. Thanks again. Tate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures will help. Thanks.
    Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcrafter View Post
    If some one if un-framiliar with the jetboat cooling can cause serious damage to the engine, as well as the drive, when running off the tap. A little information goes a long ways, when diving into the hobby, and can save untold dollars, from simple mistakes. Often peole buy an assumed gem of a boat only to find it's been patched up for the hyped up buyer, who can often overlook, the obvious things a novice might see. Just because it's on the internet, does not always mean it's true, people often mean well, only to cause more grief. Take a look at the diagrams, and give the system a looksy, before attemping to run off the tap, it may save you added headaches to come. Tom and Duane give great advise here, and it's free to those who wish to learn, a great many do not partake in the forums, because of bickering and politics.... Good luck on the new ride, looks very nice

Well put.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast