Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for asking

Quote Originally Posted by AirRide View Post
    Welcome to Scream & Fly 194268. What year were you in Mercury advanced research & what were you working on at the time?

I use to be 194264 or was it 194265, can't remember, it's a B----- growing old. Anyway I left OMC Snowmobile Engineering the end of August 1973 and started in Advance Research the next Monday in Sept '73. Like I said worked with Les Cahoun, Lyle Forsgrin (sp) another Tech named Bob Menlesskie (sp),
    Most of the time was spent on Snow Twisters, some time on the inline sixes and a pet project for Dr. Morgan. He was working on flaps mounted on the rear of racing hulls that could be move like an airplane wing flap to reduce boats blowing over. Would like to add that Les also has a PHD Degree in sound engineering, and he developed the expansion chambers for the Snow Twisters. I left Mercury in June of '74 due to Marital problems, mine.
    Last edited by 194268; 03-12-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I've posted this before, but some of you guys may've missed it:

Sometime in the last 15 to 18 years I ran across a Switzer Shooting Star with a Twister in Hemmings Motor News. The guy lived in Idaho, but I called anyway. He ALSO had a Twister1 upgrade kit with it, new in the box and never opened. We couldn't work out the lagistics of getting the boat and motor all the way 'cross country, so I bought the upgrade kit. I called the guy periodically over the next several years, and he finally told me one day that if I'd buy the boat and motor for what he originally advertised it for that he'd bring it to me in Georgia.

I believe it was/is the most original and unmolested Twister on the planet, UNLESS Merc or somebody else has one new in the box. The guy said the boat/motor had less than 10 hours on it............ his daughter (now adult and accompanying her Dad on cross country trip) argued less than 5 and said more realistically 1 or 2. She said her family bought it as a pleasure boat, her mother hated it because of the noise, and basically they took it to the lake and ran it a time or 3 and then put it in the garage where it stayed covered up for something like 20 yrs or more. The stickers look new as does the paint, and there aren't even any stains on the powerhead.

Anyway, back to the kit, and what it contained, since MAYBE it would shed some light on the differences between the Twister and Twister1. There was a new block, new transfer port covers, new pistons, switchbox, rings, exhaust log, and top and bottom cowls. (no carbs and no connecting rods) Also a different throttle cable mount and tons of small parts........... nuts, bolts, gasket set, blue stickers, etc, AND a T2 crankshaft, new in the box also and still sealed with factory staples INSIDE the T1 upgrade kit. The crank has always been a mystery. Obviously it couldn't have been run in the Twister/Twister1 style block without machining 3 of the ridges for the main bearings that the T2 used on every main journal. I've always wondered if this was an intentional way for them to change the firing order on the T1 upgrade kit from the standard one to the T2 (although it would seem that Merc would have machined the ridges before they shipped it) OR was it a simple boxing/shipping error in the kit. I don't have a disassembled Twister block for comparison, but it would be interesting to have one to compare to.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    It's on my calendar and some of the OFF guys are making noises about flying in..... if we're still alive by then.....
    I'am still alive and still making noises!
    For once, I am sitting on the sidelines absorbing all of the information you guys are coming up with.
    Last edited by velox; 03-12-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velox View Post
    I'am still alive and still making noises!
    For once, I am sitting on the sidelines absorbing all of the information you guys are coming up with.
    It's about time you showed up!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Not all the racing V-8's were 3.5's. They were different sizes different years. I can quote the sizes and years later.
    How are you making out with the V8 info?

Ralph Musser
    27' Fountain Fever W/ 525SC
    22' Rapid Craft W/ Evinrude 300 V8 January 2009 BOAT OF THE MONTH SOLD
    24' Triton 240 Gold W/ Mercury 60
    14' Royalcraft W/ Evinrude 75 father/daughter project

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    From 80 to 85 they were 3.5 (3503.36cc's)

I think it was 86 when they were punched out to 3.6 liter/220ci (3.5" bore)

and 87 when they went to 4.0 liter/244ci (3.685" bore)

In 88 & 89 they were 3.0 liter/183ci to meet the F-1 rules (3.3" bore)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    V8 race engines were as Mark75 mentioned 3.5 stock bore at that time was 3.600 with a stroke of 2.588. I am sure that was the bore and 90 percent on the stroke. I have some pistons that I double checked for the bore. Correction 2.625 stroke on race version 8 I mistakenly put crossflow stroke.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ooops ... I should have turned another page in my notebook.

Racer is right on the 3.5 liter bore size of 3.6"

My notes say the stroke of the 3.5 is 2.625" and the 3.0 used the same stroke,

but the 3.6 and 4.0 used 2.858" stroke

I don't have the ambition to do all the math and confirm all these numbers right now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My....

flyer from S.E. for their 3.5 Offshore lists stroke at 2.625"

390 HPs, w/a operating range of 7K to 8250 on regular, leaded pump andddd, a 60 day warranty
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would like to add that Les also has a PHD Degree in sound engineering, and he developed the expansion chambers for the Snow Twisters. I left Mercury in June of '74 due to Marital problems, mine.
    I worked with Les untill he retired last year and moved back to Florida. He is also did most of the OMC V-8 development work and engineering at Second Effort. He told me the smaller displacement V-8's made as much peak power as the 4 liter's they just didn't have the midrange torque.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey T2X...what made a 2.4 Champ motor a piece of crap?...Lol
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman View Post

Anyway, the best comparison was two guys here that had Venture bassboats and changed engines like I change shirts..

I haven't seen a Venture bass boat in probly 20 years or more. Memories, wow.

We had a ??xp-18?? I don't really remember the boat model that well with a 200 blk max. I think from 1980?? to 84?? We went from a skeeter wrangler with a 225(death trap) to the venture with the 200 and then to a starfire with a 150(damn tournaments started making you have a legal boat/motor combo). That's ok, we hopped it up later on in life

The venture from what I remember was a really good /stable running boat even as over rated as we were, I was pretty young still when we had the venture. I need to scan some pics, my dad had Snoopy and woodstock painted on the side of it for me(oh the 80's lol).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was searching for this thread because it has the L6 hp numbers. I knew it was said 210+, 220. I had a conversation with someone who recalled a dinner conversation with R Molinari about his T2X which he ran in the 1972 European Championship. He , Molinari conceded that his T2X was putting out well over 220hp. A video still exists of the first heat of that race and the acceleration from the start and out of the turns was said to make the 220+ statement believable.
    Last edited by FMP; 11-14-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 194268 View Post
    I use to be 194264 or was it 194265, can't remember, it's a B----- growing old. Anyway I left OMC Snowmobile Engineering the end of August 1973 and started in Advance Research the next Monday in Sept '73. Like I said worked with Les Cahoun, Lyle Forsgrin (sp) another Tech named Bob Menlesskie (sp),
    Most of the time was spent on Snow Twisters, some time on the inline sixes and a pet project for Dr. Morgan. He was working on flaps mounted on the rear of racing hulls that could be move like an airplane wing flap to reduce boats blowing over. Would like to add that Les also has a PHD Degree in sound engineering, and he developed the expansion chambers for the Snow Twisters. I left Mercury in June of '74 due to Marital problems, mine.
    Advanced research, can you talk about it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    Hey T2X...what made a 2.4 Champ motor a piece of crap?...Lol
    The cylinders turned into octogonolinders

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast