Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don, Its great to see your project is still moving along! It will be great to see them in production one day! I guess fuel economy will be different on various hulls, but on your test boat, pictured, can i ask what the fuel economy was like at cruise, say 30 mph?

Keep up the good work!

Robbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng View Post
    The new version with Closed cooling, 110 Amp dual output alternator, and 25in mid section will weight in at 810 lbs in production form. This is only 5 lbs more than the Yamaha 350.

So your 230 is only 5 lbs more than a motor with 50% more power?????????? Somehow I don't see the value there.

Cool idea but surely there's a way to get the weight down some. At that weight, the target market better be party barges.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nealxb2003 View Post
    So your 230 is only 5 lbs more than a motor with 50% more power?????????? Somehow I don't see the value there.

Cool idea but surely there's a way to get the weight down some. At that weight, the target market better be party barges.

Our target market is the military, water patrol, work boat and commercial fishing. The are some agencies that will not allow gas based engines to be used. So the options are to have a stern drive inboard diesel or when we get into production our diesel outboard.

Sure we could get the weight down to the low to mid 700's (Same as a verado) but then we would have to give up the closed water cooling, high output alternator, and a few other options that would reduce engine durability.
    Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 03-11-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbiediesel View Post
    Don, Its great to see your project is still moving along! It will be great to see them in production one day! I guess fuel economy will be different on various hulls, but on your test boat, pictured, can i ask what the fuel economy was like at cruise, say 30 mph?

Keep up the good work!

Robbie

Thanks, it has been a slow process but we are finally seeing day light. At 30 Mph we are burning between 6 and 8 GPH depending on conditions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesels are always heavier than gas for any given power range because the rpm is inherently limited. They also use less fuel and last longer. This project isn't performance-based.

Maritime, I can tell you guys have a massive amount of time and money invested in this. I applaud your efforts. Just finding a turbocharger that is small, supports the power, and doesn't radiate tons of heat is a challenge.

Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    230Hp @ 4000 rpm at the crank shaft not at the propshaft, 360 ftlbs Torque@ 2400 rpm at crank shaft. The lower we are using is a 1.62 ratio.
    Glad to see you guys are still around, especially after getting the set back of having to go to a new base engine.

As I recall, your original plan was to use a Merc leg, but you could not find the right ratio. Did you have to design a new leg/foot to accommodate the gears ?

You guys must be the only outboard with a closed cooling system. Must be a plumbers nightmare. I can't wait to see some shots "under the hood".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
    Glad to see you guys are still around, especially after getting the set back of having to go to a new base engine.

As I recall, your original plan was to use a Merc leg, but you could not find the right ratio. Did you have to design a new leg/foot to accommodate the gears ?

You guys must be the only outboard with a closed cooling system. Must be a plumbers nightmare. I can't wait to see some shots "under the hood".
    I was thinking about this the other night...Jet ski's have closed loop cooling so why not outboards? I mean without the worry of losing water pressure, then you could trim it to the moon. However is there a prop out there that can be surfaced and still be efficient?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice engine
    Will the closed cooling system allow you to travel in shallow water without the worry of overheating due to clogging the coolant system with debris (mud)?? There is a large amount of shallow water commercial fishing down here and it seem this engine would be perfect.
    Look fear in the eyes and laugh!
    If you're here to have a good time, enjoy yourself.
    If you're here to be a grammar whore, troll, or arrogant nit picker then please leave now!

79' Allison GT-20
    V4 OMC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

But compareable torque, torque moves mass

Most semi trucks only make 400ish hp but make 1600+ftlbs put a 400hp gas motor in one and see how far you get down the road with a trailer hooked to it

I would love to put Maritime's motor on my lighter 21 CC and a real tall gear. 50mph at 2800 would be cool
    Last edited by baja200merk; 03-14-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Nice engine
    Will the closed cooling system allow you to travel in shallow water without the worry of overheating due to clogging the coolant system with debris (mud)?? There is a large amount of shallow water commercial fishing down here and it seem this engine would be perfect.
    The closed cooling system uses a water to water heat exchanger so you will still need the raw water from the pump to cool the antifreeze in the engine. The only reason to use the closed cooling system is to eliminate the sea water from running thru the engine. This will increase engine durability over time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this weekend while out on the Cabbage Key Fun Run many people asked me what was going on with our Diesel Outboard so I thought that it would be Ok to give an update. If this is against the rules of Scream and Fly let me know, At this point I am not trying to sell any units just showing the technology.

Here is a little bit of history........
    The first diesel outboard that we developed was based on the 2.3L platform and ran very well. The only issue we had is that this engine would not meet the new emissions standards. This made is almost impossible to be able to sell in the US or Europe.

So during the last 18 months we have developed our 2nd prototype that is based off of a 3.0L (230 HP) 4 cyclinder platform that does meet the current emissions standards. This engine also has closed cooling for better corrosion resistance. This was a complete redesign that we are currently testing. We are still about 12 to 18 months away from being in production but I thought some people would like to see it. I have also attached a couple pics and videos to show our progress. Hope you enjoy the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUeWgGATSM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk83N...eature=related
    What kind of speed on this boat...
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Love View Post
    What kind of speed on this boat...
    We are still prop testing but right now it is running 48 mph @ 4000 rpm (13 GPH at WOT). I think the mid 50's is possible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Thank's for the answer... I watch this thread, nice to sharing infos.. JP
    Last edited by JP Love; 03-14-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast