Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Jet Boat Owner

Hi guys, I'm new to the jet boat scene and just bought a 77 Omega 20" open bow. It has what I beleive to be a AMC 360 and Panther Jet Pump. The guy I bought the boat from said the motor overheats after running about 20-30 minutes. He said the thermostat was taken out due to thinking it was faulty however that did not solve anything.

I should also mention that this guy said it had a 454 in it and knew nothing about the boat. He did say he had it was in the ocean a few times, and that he had the engine cleaned out and rebuilt / Wether that is true or not I have no idea. He did start the boat to show that the motor was not seized up. (Only ran until the prime in the carb ran out maybe 3-5 seconds) I havent had it in the water yet due to I want to try and figure out the overheating issue.

Needless to say I have no idea where to even start, as this is my very first boat ever! The boat is in decent shape I will attach some pics. For $1000.00 I don't think I went wrong. I figured if the engine is bad I have a rebuilt 351 just waiting for a home.

Any suggestions on how to check the engine for water flow would be greatly appreciated.

Also - Is there a way to test the Panther pump out myself? and would I be able to install the 351 if I need a new motor? P.S the boat is just for some family fun, nothing extremely fast needed. Just want to do some skiing, tubing and fishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boat Pics 001.jpg   Boat Pics 002.jpg   DSC01119.jpg   DSC01124.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way to find out your answers is to go to the lake, back it down on a cement ramp, leave it hooked to the trailer and run it for a while. If everything sounds and feels good, then take it out for a test drive. Stay close to the trailer at first until you know it is seaworthy. Good luck!
    Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would flush out the block in case its full of sand, and dont run the pump out of the water, nice looking boat should clean up nice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello and welcome! i just recently got the jet boat bug with a 77 wriedt spoiler with a 455 olds. bout ur problem with the engine it could be blockage in the cooling system or busted head gaskets. the boats looks great. keep posting them pics!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that d-m foam edelbrock air cleaner off, it's not a flame arrestor and with that Holley one back fire which is very likely the foam melts real nice. It's a $250.00 fine around hear let alone dangerous. But congrats on the boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for welcoming me and your advise. I will follow all of it! I'm not sure about the fine in Cali yet, but I surly don't want any fires or melting.

I plan on getting the boat to the lake in about 2 weeks. This should give me some time to flush the motor and do some more research.

Thanks again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are great, lots of history. I have copied and pasted all these comments and pictures, makes quite a document. Anything else is greatly appreciated. What a topic!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I finally got some time to work on the boat. I began with taking the Thermostat housing off and loa and behold there was a Thermostat! It was full of crapand there is no way that thing was operable. I did a flush on the motor for about 15 minutes and then flushed the manifold at the thermostat trying to clear all the debris inside. I installed a new Thermostat and did some other tinkering.

All I need now is a set of plug wires and battery and I'm ready to hit the water. Hopefully the Thermostat was all it needed to solve the overheating issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good to hear it was a simple fix