Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How strong is etec 25-30 hp

I want to go "old school" and use minimium hp on a boat. kinda the opposite of performance of most on the site, but there seem to be some real knowlegable etec folks here. Might go one 30 hp or twin 25's on my boat.

I have an old 50's aluminum Lonestar boat that is a hardtop cruiser that was only designed for lower speeds per hull design. Hull is 18.5' and wt is about 800lbs. It has a V in front that becomes flat about half way back. Not much hp back then and the boat was rated for 25-75hp. How does the 30 hp at the prop compare with the old motors hp of the 50's?

I would like to use a 30 etec because I plan to do a lot of trolling. The crouch formula gives me a top speed of 20-24, depending on load, which is fine by me. i like to cruise around 12-15 to take in the view and the boat planes easily at that speed. I saw a performance report with modern boat of a somewhat similar hull where a new 25hp yamaha powered a 1750Lb boat about 25 mph.

How do you think the 30 would compare in torque to a 4S 25-40. What about the Yamaha 25 high thrust? I like the manual start option alot on the 30 which is another reason I want to use it and it trolls in the desired speed range 1-2 mph I need, gets great mpg trolling and running and is light wt. I plan on running it on a 10" set back and put on trim tabs.

The only thing I ask is that everyone please spare me all the comments about a small motors running too hard might lesson engine life. That is mostly bunk as I ran my 4hp 2S wide open on a boat it barely could plane when I was a kid and it lasted for years, actually never wore out. This motor should only be running about 2/3-3/4 throttle at cruise any way and would be fine. Thanks for any opinions and help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello sir, Im a good guy to ask this question, we rigged the 1st 25 Etec last year at this time on a full size pontoon. We have some pull with Evinrude and in order to get the then released 25/30 we had to order 30 of them 15 months before receiving them, it was a process to say the least. One thing I will mention is this, I would not recommend a guy to spend the upcharge to go from the 25 to the 30 Etec, for the $$$ your better off getting the 40-60 Bigger block twin. The weight difference of 60 lbs should not be a problem, plus Evinrude has until April 15th a Motor promo where you can get the extended warranty,plus on Re-Powers receive either a Horsepower upgrade or a FREE riggin package, consisting of controls,tachometer and cable, the Horse power upgrade is only on 40s and up. So you buy a 4o and get a 50, or the best deal is buy the 50 and get the 60! See the 60 is in my opinon the sweetest of the small etecs, it has the best power to weight ratio, gets the best fuel mileage because of its different porting and it has a exhaust valve to boost low and high rpm power. What Im getting at is you can get the perfect powered outboard now for a fabulous deal money and warranty wise. For some guys the controls and gauge is a better deal. I would either get the 25 or go to the 40-60 motors. I would hate for you to be not pleased, and the price difference is small,very small, espeically if found instock. Now,the Etecs in 25 hp will KILL ANY 4 stroke, a 25 etec to me on a pontoon felt like a 40 stroke, in torque and High rpm power, seriously, its a torquey motor. Call me if you have any motor questions, or better yet just IM me here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 months of use and almost 600 hours ,this guy showed up at our shop with this engine to do the first maintenance!!!!

See ya
    This is my backyard! Cataguás,Angra dos Reis,Brasil