Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

455 help

i have a kona 21' daycruiser, that has a 455 olds that is pretty much stock, with j heads, and a performer manifold. the guy i bought it from said it would run about 50 to 55. after reading and reading im now wondering if i bought a set of edelbrock heads and cam how much faster it would really be and if its worth all the money, or if i should spend the money some were else. i just want reliabilty. so is it worth the money for the upgrades or what can i do to make this motor better. any help is appreciated. i think ive read my self crazy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the big thing is to keep your rpms down, i think the heads would help and also allow the oil to drain back to the pan faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much faster would it really go?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kona151 View Post
    i have a kona 21' daycruiser, that has a 455 olds that is pretty much stock, with j heads, and a performer manifold. the guy i bought it from said it would run about 50 to 55. after reading and reading im now wondering if i bought a set of edelbrock heads and cam how much faster it would really be and if its worth all the money, or if i should spend the money some were else. i just want reliabilty. so is it worth the money for the upgrades or what can i do to make this motor better. any help is appreciated. i think ive read my self crazy.
    I have copied some info for you from a website regarding the "J" heads you are currently running.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=center align=left><TH>J <TH>411783 <TD>80, 82cc <TD>2.000" <TD>1.625" </TD><TR><TD colSpan=5>1973-76 455 "smog" motors. Standard [small] valves: 2.000 and 1.625", even Toronado, 442, etc. [presumably]. Exhaust port is choked off to about 1" diameter just under the valve. No blocked heat crossover. Rotators, deep spring seats, hardened exhaust seats. Very common. Avoid. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The edelbrock heads are relativaly expensive. When buying these heads you need to buy pushrods, roller rocker set and alu/steel tappet covers that are a bit higher than std. Stainless valves are optional.( for racing basically)

Try and source a decent set of "C" , "F" or "Ka" heads. Make sure they are not cracked or rusted. All of the above are big valve units. "C" heads are rumoured to flow the best out of the lot.

I would rather spend the money on improving the bottom end and oiling problem on the Olds. (Shiney new alu heads are not going to stop the Olds from spinning a big end bearing) Been there done that.
    Last edited by Hamjet; 02-17-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the pump

The edlbrock heads are Pricey you may want to look at doing a new wear ring, maybe a bowl stuffer and new ride plate for a fraction of the cost. If you don't have one a place diverter may help as well and give you the big rooster tail many like. You might want to ask the former owner what RPM the motor turned. Remember the Olds is a big torque motor not a high RPM motor.

Also make sure you make the oil system recommendations from Mondelo.

I myself am redoing a 21' and hop to get at least 60 MPH out of my Olds.