Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips to go fast

I have a 19' Liberator yr 1985...with a 3.0 225EFI mercury 2002yr. I put a Bobs Machine Shop hyd. jack plate and low water pick up w/ nose cone. The motor revs to 5800 at about 80. What props would you recommend? I heard i could lighten the flywheel and program ecu...any other ideas? Thanks!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're on the rev limiter so you need to address that first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 85'Liberator View Post
    I have a 19' Liberator yr 1985...with a 3.0 225EFI mercury 2002yr. I put a Bobs Machine Shop hyd. jack plate and low water pick up w/ nose cone. The motor revs to 5800 at about 80. What props would you recommend? I heard i could lighten the flywheel and program ecu...any other ideas? Thanks!!
    Welcome to Scream and Fly

If you find the search funtion you can cruise through as much material as you like, a ton of good info in there. Pictures always help too even though I've never posted one ( that's going to change soon)
    Be safe and we'll try and help ya out the best we can, again welcome aboard !!

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRY TALKING TOO
    <TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellPadding=2 width=500><TBODY><TR><TD width="28%">Simon Motorsports</TD><TD width="156%">Mercury V6 engine modifications and tuning, custom high-output alternator systems, custom EFI tuning and rigging</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    IT AIN'T FAST , IF ITS NOT ALLISOON MAN POWER!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a lot of $$$$$$$$$
    The more $$$$$$$ the faster you go

1995 STV RR 150 hp Super Mag
    1978 16' Allison 90 hp Yamaha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What prop are you running now? If you are on the limiter hard and want to keep the limiter than you will have to go up in pitch to bring the rpms down but if you want to remove the limiter than the prop you have may be ok if the motor can spin up.

Ralph Musser
    27' Fountain Fever W/ 525SC
    22' Rapid Craft W/ Evinrude 300 V8 January 2009 BOAT OF THE MONTH SOLD
    24' Triton 240 Gold W/ Mercury 60
    14' Royalcraft W/ Evinrude 75 father/daughter project

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Liberator--

How much background do you have in outboard setup? I see enough to add the jackplate and lwp. Does what others have said above make sense?

I am sorry if I oversimplify, but I don't know how much you know. As long as the engine is up against the limiter, you have no idea whether you are getting the most out of it right now. You can add intakes, etc, etc, but it will still not go over 5800 rpm. You need to start by buying (or, preferably, borrowing) props bigger than what you have now. If you go up , say from a 27 pitch to a 28 pitch, the engine might still turn to 5800 but you're doing 84 (just a guess, not a claculation). So, go up again to a 29.

I bet there are other people on this forum who have propped a 19 Lib with a 225--either search the prop and setup forum, or put up a post there with a specific heading--ie, 19 liberator, 225, what prop?

Or, better yet, ask Randy Corson--Wildman on Scream & Fly--who sells the cleanest, most beautiful Liberators in the US. He might well tell you exactly what prop, engine height, and everything else you need. Email liberatorboats@yahoo.com or call Randy. Days-386-761-8050, Nights till midnight-386-788-4378

After you have the prop limitting you to 5700, so you know you are getting all you can from this motor, then think about changes to the motor.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since your in the Houston area, head over to the San Jacinto river. Launch at Loves or Bananna bend and get to know some of the folks that hang out there. Lots off fast boats and good people. Fun place...
    limited skills

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you must understand the 225 EFI fishing motor. It has a 6100 electronic rev limiter but it has a built in fuel limiter at 5800. At 5800 the ECU goes full rich which unless you have a super light hull the engine won't pull much higher and it really does not make power beyond the 5800. So the first thing you need to do is fix this and the way to do that is to get the ECU and ECM remapped. Eric Simon does this I'm pretty sure. I would never again recommend anyone send their electronics to Rapair. Anyway get the fuel unit remapped to 300PM specs and have the electronic limiter raised to 6400. This will do two things. Your motor will run much better and make power up through 6000 rpms and your fuel milage will double and oil usage will halve. Been there done that.

The next thing to do would be to put an intake on it. Either a Brucato SVS or a Mad EFI. They both work very well. While in there change out the reeds to single stage. You need compression. Eric can cut your heads to 300PM specs or you can find a set of 300PM heads. I actually bought them new from Merc. Finally there is exhaust. On your boat I would certainly want to change out the hard rubber motor mounts for solids. So while in there you can remove the liner and cut the exhaust tuner or put in a new tuner. I put in a 300X tuner which was really cool but the cut stock tuner works great.

This will net you about 280-290hp with much improved performance across the powerband. Especially in mid-range accelration. It's also not very expensive. Figre around $2500. It's the most easily modifyable 3L - bang for your buck- there is. When I did mine I picked up 14mph on my bass boat.

In a nutshell props alone won't find you many gains except in holeshot and mayby some top speed. Killing that fuel limiter is the main thing. If you build a POmans 300 you could see serious speed gains. Stitch King did these mods on his old Liberator tunnel and went from 80 to 104!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    85' Liberator,

First of all welcome to S&F, if it's info you need, you've come to the right place. I had a 225 EFI on my 21' Liberator with the MAD EFI intake, 300 heads and coils and a Wolf V500 ECU swinging a 30P Drag 4 prop. Boat did 100+ at the time it was rigged as mentioned above when the previous owner had it. I've since sold the motor and got a new 250 EFI I'm putting together with 300 heads, Simon's ECU's (300 IGN & 250 XB Fuel), HydroTec Tuner, solid motor mounts, lightened flywheel and Simon's Poppet Valve Kit. Motor has yet to be fired (it's winter here) but listen to what the guy's are telling you, you'll get some real good info here and save yourself allot of $$$$$$$$ not having to go through the trial and error method. I've learned allot from the members here and I'm very greatful for it.

You'll always have to throw $$$$$$ at your boat if you want to go fast, but make sure the $$$$$$ you throw at it gets you something in return that adds up to more MPH...........Good luck

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As already mentioned "Welcome To Screamandfly"!! There's more knowledge here than you can imagine.

I currently have a 19' Liberator like yours ?? just newer that runs over 100 MPH. And as mentioned above you are on the limiter for that motor. Thats a good thing right now. IMO that 3.0L is to heavy (497 lbs vs 375 lbs 2.5L) for that boat unless you want to add some forward Ballast and make a few changes. Anything over 80 MPH at this point could become a problem not knowing your current set up in more detail. There may be other openions i'm sure --- but. Posting some pictures would also help.

PM me and I'll be more than glad to help you with set up etc. We can even talk if you like, feel free to give me a call @ 757-544-1787 .
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input!!!!! Ahhhh its like a breath of compressed air to read all this!!!!!! Its great to know there are you guys out there! I will get some pictures up soon. "Loop"---I will be at the San Jac soon. I have had it out there a few times. We might have to meet up. "Wizard"--- you are incredible...you just put it all together! "HStream1"--- forward ballast hmm and yeah it is a heavy s.o.b. what kind of info do you need about my setup? Thanks again everyone!!! Lets make this Liberator SCREAM!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go fast easy=STV
    Last edited by D.B.S; 02-18-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you can turn a 32, maybe a 34. I ran a 2001 225efi on a 21 Liberator with a 30" Hoss prop. No nosecone, 3" below the bottom, and it was still on the limiter at 5800 rpm at 84 mph.
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com
    Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

Visit My Liberator Boats Website

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my humble opnion,

that is a very shallow hull and anything in the neighborhood your getting into, alot must be considered concerning "conditions" as you can go for a flight pretty easly. be careful. my feet barely fit under the dash of one of those, sittin pretty high, spookey as mentioned, be careful
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast