Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    penn full syn. i have used it for about 4 years with no issues related to oil. i have turned 2 of my motors over 10,000. i burnt a piston about a month ago bad injector, and the bearing still looked awesome. no discoloring at all and i burned the piston at 10,400.. proof is in the puddin.... alisyn is a great oil, and so is klotz. i use penn and run it 40 to 1 at those rpms, i cant change after what i have seen!!!!!!!!!!

roy
    93 xr 2001 drag with a 15" drag
    92 xb 2002 comp with a 15" drag
    R.I.P. Phil "rpm racing" Watch over the rest of us my friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll NEVER go wrong with Pennzoil or Mercury oils mixed properly... PERIOD ! The others , IMO a crap shoot! I don't gamble with customer's engines ...

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay do find the Merc High Perf oil tends to cause carbon build-up?

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Klotz..... has been good for me............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    Jay do find the Merc High Perf oil tends to cause carbon build-up?

Dave
    Merc and Yamaha load their semi-synthetic oils with molybendum. They are also the two sootiest oils I have used. Optis really leave a lot of soot on the prop hub and when I switched from Merc to Pennzoil my sooty hub got a lot cleaner. Heres a oil analysis comparison of the major platers. Im not Jay, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night:
    http://home.comcast.net/~team_doughe...s/results.html
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I break - in on Mercury DINO ( the old GREEN ) then I like Penn.blends on steel sleeved engines and 100% syn Penn on coated sleeved engines BUT if I'm in "P0 DUNK USA" and get stuck for oil I will feel comfortable with Mercury oils. OEM oils DO have more ash content and will smoke a bit more but will do in a pinch until I can get to Wally World !

I've said in the past that IMO 99.9 % of failures in outboard engines IF oil related is because of quanity or the lack there of not quality.. There is a heck of allot of things that causes failures besides oils.. When this fuel goes to 15 % "corn squeezings" we can kiss all these needle bearing outboards GOOD BYE ! I have seen MORE crank bearing surfaces failures since the introduction of this "corn fuel" than ever before !!

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Do you know of anyone who has tried the Pennzoil 100% Synthetic?
    I run nothing but 100% penzoil synthetic, never had a problem, got scared of running side pin pistons & sent power head to Jay Smith, for re build, he called and asked what oil I had been running? Scared the sh----- out of me then told me it was the cleanest motor he had done in months, all the guys at Smith Bend run 100% pennsoil synthetic. IMO it's very good oil. Jimmy
    Smith Bend Senior Citizen & proud of it.
    88 Cobra Stick steer boat, 88 50 hp Merc Sold
    94 Mirage River Rocket (completely re built by Mirage in 08) 96 JSRE 260 Merc. Sold
    2012 Glasstream Flats Flite 90 hp Optimax piece of CRAP Bad Mistake! Thank God It's Gone!
    1991 20 CC Bullet 2.5 Merc
    2021 Mirage Flyn Fliver 25 hp Merc
    The road to life is long & rocky so remember you gonna need to take plenty of beer!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in DFW and believe it or not at times I have problems finding oil the penzoil stuff here is really expensive and most of the time mercury premium plus will be out of stock, I have been told not to mix different types of oil so I guess when I run out of it I will switch to mercury oil.

I was told that Citgo Premium Plus was the same as Mercury Premium Plus but maybe someone lied to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a 260 with 6 yrs. of running on Penn.100%. When Marty(Diamond) pulled the heads off he asked"did you just put these heads on here". Said he had never seen one that clean with so much time on it. The Nic. was wore out and I'm not sure of the hrs. Just went through my 280/260 elect. with 140 hrs. and Brad Tressler had the same response. He said what is going on here! Again the heads were spotless. Had to recoat because of some chatter marks that would not hone out and the rings were completely wore out. Been using Merc. Syn. on this one since break in and it does not burn as clean for sure but I am going to use this for the life of it and compare. So if you are still around in 4 yrs. or so i'll let you know how it turns out. I mix 40:1 and usually stay below 8'000.
    Oh, I also have an old Ford that'll hurt some Chevrolet feelings!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the penzoil 100% is good stuff I will look for it seems like the last time I saw it the price per gallon was 27.

My lil chevrolet has never had a ford even stay with it even when the ford was supercharged. The only one that was even fun to play with was the gt40 and depending on where we were in a gear one of us would pull the other. So if I was supercharged there would be no contest. There is something addictive about a 347 turning over 6,000rpm through titanium exhaust.
    Last edited by John.Vaught; 10-23-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have experience with mercury multi-fuel oil, part #92-858092A01. Merc racing recommends this oil for the the new 200xs ROS and SST motors. I"m sure for good reason, including profit margins.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fast2Pass View Post
    Had a 260 with 6 yrs. of running on Penn.100%. When Marty(Diamond) pulled the heads off he asked"did you just put these heads on here". Said he had never seen one that clean with so much time on it. The Nic. was wore out and I'm not sure of the hrs. Just went through my 280/260 elect. with 140 hrs. and Brad Tressler had the same response. He said what is going on here! Again the heads were spotless. Had to recoat because of some chatter marks that would not hone out and the rings were completely wore out. Been using Merc. Syn. on this one since break in and it does not burn as clean for sure but I am going to use this for the life of it and compare. So if you are still around in 4 yrs. or so i'll let you know how it turns out. I mix 40:1 and usually stay below 8'000.
    Oh, I also have an old Ford that'll hurt some Chevrolet feelings!!!!
    JMO May be going a little to long between rering. Figure running completey worn out " sharp edged" rings the cause of the worn out cyl coating, not the oil brand. Had a 245 carb 2.5 and it got reringed every 80-120hrs, cyl coating was good for 3 rerings. It got TiN on the rebuild and was sold, never heard how much longer the TiN rings lasted.

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok gentlemen,

I was at the store today and this is whats available here.

Mercury premium plus 18.96
    Penzoil XLF 15.96
    Mercury Premium 25.97
    Mercury Syn blend 27.97
    Penzoil full syn 28.27
    Johnson Evinrude 25.97
    Citgo Premium plus 10.99

No one has any DFI oil they are all out of stock on it right now. If anyone has the hook up around here please let me know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    JMO May be going a little to long between rering. Figure running completey worn out " sharp edged" rings the cause of the worn out cyl coating, not the oil brand. Had a 245 carb 2.5 and it got reringed every 80-120hrs, cyl coating was good for 3 rerings. It got TiN on the rebuild and was sold, never heard how much longer the TiN rings laste

Dave
    I agree, too long. 100 hrs. is probably a good #. Just hate to tear it down when you can boat all year long. Got really lucky too, had a cracked rod!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fast2Pass View Post
    I agree, too long. 100 hrs. is probably a good #. Just hate to tear it down when you can boat all year long. Got really lucky too, had a cracked rod!!!!!!!!!!

Do a leakdown test after its broken in, after 10 or so hrs write down you cyl #'s and leak %. Check it every so often soon as the leakdown rate starts to go up, rering then. Recoating cyls each time starts to get pricey. BTW when the rings are worn the pistons also wear much quicker than with good rings.

Dave

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast