Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :d oil changes every 200hours sounds like a long time to me. I guess that is why they make both for guys who like slow heavy motors and guys that like lighter faster ones. Long live the two stroke. Four strokes belong in tow vehicles.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what about the high maintenence you mentioned?
    Fellow G-Man of the Sunshine Syndicate-Dixie Wrecked Chaptor..
    We Put The F. U. in FUN
    94 17MA Maverick 115 Yamaha
    2006 Mustang GT, with a belt driven air cleaner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VELOCITY 3.6GT View Post
    :d oil changes every 200hours sounds like a long time to me. I guess that is why they make both for guys who like slow heavy motors and guys that like lighter faster ones. Long live the two stroke. Four strokes belong in tow vehicles.
    200 hrs Maybe sounds a lot to you before an oil change. It might be a lot???? But my 3 verados have over 1100 hrs still going strong. Do you think you could get 1000 hrs out of your V8 Jonrude. I would also put my stock 300 verado up against a STOCK v8 Jonrude any day. It would be close. When 4 strokes start leaving 2 strokes in the dust.... What will you guys say next? I also have two strokes and agree that for NOW they are better on little boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by native2 View Post
    200 hrs Maybe sounds a lot to you before an oil change. It might be a lot???? But my 3 verados have over 1100 hrs still going strong. Do you think you could get 1000 hrs out of your V8 Jonrude. I would also put my stock 300 verado up against a STOCK v8 Jonrude any day. It would be close. When 4 strokes start leaving 2 strokes in the dust.... What will you guys say next? I also have two strokes and agree that for NOW they are better on little boats.
    for now....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i absolutely love merc's PRO XS line for consumers... 5 yr warranty and HP in spades over their rated ### on the cowl... i have 1 customer with a 175 Pro XS that actually out performs SEVERAL equal boats powered with 200's 225's and even SOME poorly set up 250's// i would say its ACTUAL HP is VERY VERY close if not over 200 actual..

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure you would compare a v-8 evinrude to a new 4-stroke. Twenty year old technology versus new technology is not a fair comparison. Try a new e-etc, yamaha, or merc versus a four stroke. The four stroke will hands down loose. Changing oil on a four stroke is work, adjusting valves is work, changing belts is work and driving your boat down to the dealer for most of this maintenance is work. As for the filling the oil tank when you go out you have to fill gas tank don't you? Oh thats right turning the cap off the oil jug is work too. Keep defending the four strokes it is comical.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VELOCITY 3.6GT View Post
    Sure you would compare a v-8 evinrude to a new 4-stroke. Twenty year old technology versus new technology is not a fair comparison. Try a new e-etc, yamaha, or merc versus a four stroke. The four stroke will hands down loose. Changing oil on a four stroke is work, adjusting valves is work, changing belts is work and driving your boat down to the dealer for most of this maintenance is work. As for the filling the oil tank when you go out you have to fill gas tank don't you? Oh thats right turning the cap off the oil jug is work too. Keep defending the four strokes it is comical.
    Yup, as I said for now 2 strokes are better on small boats. Just not your 2 stroke, antique. No 4 stroke will ever compare to a 2.5 280 end of story there. As for maint. I have not done any valve adj after 1100hrs and my dealer has not recomended it. I changed my belts at 500hrs, took 3 min. No tools required.

As I said, I also have a yami 300 vmax and a merc 300xs They have their own maint needs. Oil is also over 20$ a gal, and for me that means more work. Oil tanks take up space in a small boat. Or you add it, as you do with your antique, and smoke everyone out. {thats comical} You may not think so... but after you run 4 strokes, you will not like the noise and vibration of a 2 stokes JMO. For now, I would never replace my 300xs for a 300 4 stroke on my bass boat. Likewise, For now , I would never replace my 4 strokes with 2 strokes on my offshore boat. What I guess am trying to say is, they have different applications. I am a fan of both!!!!!

Something to think about:

38 fountain w trip 300xs 2 strokes will run 76
    38 fountain w trip 300 verados will run 75
    38 fountain w trip 350 verados will run 80
    The 300 xs boat has 3 oil tanks. 6 oil hoses. 6 throttle shift cables. The rigging is a mess!!!! And the resale value sucks!!! No oil tanks and fly by wire makes for clean rigging Those are legit numbers! Ask me how know? I have been on or owned all. Also on mercs website.
    Last edited by native2; 01-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend bought my old 35 Rabco. It had twin 2005 250XS's and ran 46mph. He just bought twin 250 susukis for it, it now runs 48. I think it has alot to do with the 16 inch diameter props but none the less, it is faster. pic was taken when I 225 2002 optis... They were junk!!!
    Last edited by native2; 01-13-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have made your point. Nice rig. I will say feeding an old v-8 will make you broke, but they sounded awesome. I would imagine the four stroke gets double or better mpg's. I can't believe you havent touched your motors with the kind of hours you have... You must be doing something right. I still love the two strokes but then again shy of hitting the lottery i wont be getting a boat larger than 24 ftso a four is out for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by native2 View Post
    My friend bought my old 35 Rabco. It had twin 2005 250XS's and ran 46mph. He just bought twin 250 susukis for it, it now runs 48. I think it has alot to do with the 16 inch diameter props but none the less, it is faster. pic was taken when I 225 2002 optis... They were junk!!!
    and your assumption on drop diameter would be incorrect as its only 3/8-1/2 more...

the factor is the fact tthe boat needed stern weight to perform as set up... with the lighter 250's there wasnt enough setback and leverage to carry the hull to its potential... and also those arent 250XS motors... the cowls are stock production units... the added 200 lbs of the suzki package with the existing setup gave the boat the weight aft it needed to carry the hull to its potential..

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 150aintenuff View Post
    and your assumption on drop diameter would be incorrect as its only 3/8-1/2 more...

the factor is the fact tthe boat needed stern weight to perform as set up... with the lighter 250's there wasnt enough setback and leverage to carry the hull to its potential... and also those arent 250XS motors... the cowls are stock production units... the added 200 lbs of the suzki package with the existing setup gave the boat the weight aft it needed to carry the hull to its potential..
    If you look at the bottom of pic you will read. " pic was taken with 2002 225 optis" I got the 250 xs's in 2005. The props are a full inch bigger in dia than the mirages. I wont argue as to why it is now faster with the 4 strokes. You have no idea about that boat. Its not worth debating... Just stating the facts. Plus I cant argue with an expert. Here is the boat with 250Xs's. Only saw 2-3 mph gain from 225 to 250 xs.
    Last edited by native2; 01-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hard to argue leverage and physics... i stand by my original post... while the 250 zuki is a nice engine the raw hp is not as high as the 250 opti,

mirage... eeww... i wouldnt wish that wheel on anyone... so yes a solas built prop is better for any application...

225 to 250 mph gain sounds actually about right... given the initial performance numbers. adding 10%hp yeilded about 3mph... or approx 5-8% speed increase.. and all things were identical... safe to say thats on par.

regardless of design, weight, or any knowlege of boat in question. facts remain....

35 ft of boat to create drag

hp to drag ratio is fairly high because i dont care what it weighs... if 20 ft of voat rides in the water, then its gunna tale alot of power to exceed approx 40 mph

its a fish boat.. so i would say improvements can be had but what gets compremised to see those gains...

and finally,, while a large change over was made in terms of setup, that hull likes weight at the stern, otherwise even with larger wheels it wouldnt have gained speed with less dyno hp (going soley off of 3rd party published results for each motor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2