Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transom saver vs motor support

any opinions on which is better? transom saver or attwood motor support lock n stow? description for it says doesn't transmit trailer shock to the transom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use two pieces of PVC slipped over the trim rams. Does functionally the same thing as a transom saver. I wouldn't do it if your rig has a questionable transom though. A transom saver is hard on solid motor mounts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can be a complicated question depending on the amount of setback, type of transom saver, if the owners know the right way to use it, etc... Another thing to consider is that transom stress while going down the lake especially in rough water far exceeds stresses while towing, so if it can handle the water then it can handle the road... If You have a high enough trailer and can tow with the engine vertically, then this is ideal and You don't need anything at all in terms of support other than having the hull strapped well to the trailer to avoid bouncing.. My opiniated summary is that a quality hull and a knowledgeable owner doesn't need a transom saver... It may only need a trim ram stopper if the engine has to be trimmed up for clearance and the trim ram stopper can prevent leakdown if it's a long trip...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've always hated my engine swinging or getting kicked to 1 side, that why I use on on my Gambler, any thought on that?
    On the invader with the short shaft....Vertical

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    I've always hated my engine swinging or getting kicked to 1 side, that why I use on on my Gambler, any thought on that?
    On the invader with the short shaft....Vertical

Chris
    There are some slip on plastic sleeve thingies that can be put on the steering rods to prevent this... They snap on and off very quickly...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stryker View Post
    There are some slip on plastic sleeve thingies that can be put on the steering rods to prevent this... They snap on and off very quickly...
    And help with the side to side crap I go threw ?

Chris

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are for hydraulic steering, not sure if there is anything similar for cables.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10-fo, Roger that... They clip around the rod that slides in an out of the tube... The plastic pieces are the close to the exact length of the exposed rod when the engine is in the straight line position and the plastic clip doesn't let the rod go in or out of the tube on either side... They are about 10x simpler than I'm explaining this, I'll try to find a link or something...

EDIT: I could have sworn that I'd seen them on dual steering boats, but possibly it was hydraulic... I'll try to dig something up..
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stryker View Post
    10-fo, Roger that... On a dual cable steering for example they clip around the rod that slides in an out of the tube... The plastic pieces are the close to the exact length of the exposed rod when the engine is in the straight line position and the plastic clip doesn't let the rod go in or out of the tube on either side... They are about 10x simpler than I'm explaining this, I'll try to find a link or something...
    Thanks Kevin ....would love something easier that what I'm doin

Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for side to side movement i just cut a 5/8 coolant hose and split it down the middle works great...
    obnoxious

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coslanzetta View Post
    for side to side movement i just cut a 5/8 coolant hose and split it down the middle works great...
    Same princable as the rubber snubber ones. Cant think of there name now but i do the same thing. I dont like the transom saver because it chips and indents or cracks my bobs cone!! I do how ever use it on trips that are 500 miles or so with a lot of padding, seems OK then. {The wedge} is the best if you have a newer motor I think from X and up years. Hears a link. http://www.m-ywedge.com/instructions.htm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone know/ can vertify if their universal one or other will fit a johnson 88 spl? sounds like alot better option than a traditional transom saver.. easier to install for starters ( my trailer has lights where most transom savers attach to )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nealxb2003 View Post
    I just use two pieces of PVC slipped over the trim rams. Does functionally the same thing as a transom saver. I wouldn't do it if your rig has a questionable transom though. A transom saver is hard on solid motor mounts.
    this sounds simple and cheap. are you sure the PVC pipe is strong enough not to get crushed when the motor tries to bounce? my motor is a v4 evinrude with twin trim rams and fitting some PVC pipe over them would be just the ticket to prevent leakdown. i love this idea if the pipe is strong enough.

-peter
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the side to side - I use a bungie cord. 1 end attached to the steering wheel the other to the holy $hit bar on the dash.
    Easy to put on and off and keeps the engine straight.
    I get the concept of not needing a transom saver if your transom etc is in good shape. Mine was just rebuilt, so, I figure it's about as strong or stronger than new. But why not try to protect your investment as much as possible, when possible?
    I use the extra long transom saver due to the location of the cross member location on the trailer and the setback on the engine. I think it's around 54" - or so.

Triad V21 - 225 Johnny HO Fishin' Motr