Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no oil berkeley jet bowl mods

What does anybody know about modifying a berkeley by drilling through the oil fill and oil level plugs to create a water cooled bearing situation that then eliminates the need to fill the bowl with gear lube. I bought a boat that had this mod done by a machine shop but am interested to know how common it is? Thanks John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent

Post some pics of what it looks like

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i am still lost with this oil in bowl thing. whats it do?what bearing? those 2 little plugs on the bowl? feeling dumber as i go

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 2 sleeves in the bowl which support the end of the impeller shaft which have oil or grease which is added by accessing the plugs on the outside of the bowl or a grease zerk in the flow cone.

Boatermike, you have a berkley pump right? If so look on the bowl and on the top you should see the plugs. They could be plastic, or metal square head plugs at the 10 oclock and 2 oclock position.

Remove them both and add 80-90wt in one hole untill it comes out the other, then put the plugs back in

If you notice the oil level goes down the next day or so you might want to look thru the nozzle and see if you still have a plug in the end of the bowl or if its leaking. It could also leak out the front if the bowl seal at the shaft sealif its bad but you would not see it as it would just leak into the bowl and get washed out the next time you hit the water

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboat350 View Post
    What does anybody know about modifying a berkeley by drilling through the oil fill and oil level plugs to create a water cooled bearing situation that then eliminates the need to fill the bowl with gear lube. I bought a boat that had this mod done by a machine shop but am interested to know how common it is? Thanks John

intersesting idea but are they filtering that water at all??

Just thinking if some sand going thru the system and right onto the shaft and bearing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bowl mods

Thanks first for responding, I am a new member with three jets and glad I found this site. The water is not filtered which is a good/bad thought. The water is picked up right off jet water pressure. I heard dominator pumps use a similar system but am still trying to learn about my 3 jc pumps. I understand the drilling process is as simple as drilling down through the fill plugs to a set distence. Once the holes are drilled if you do go to fill with gear oil it will run out through the intake grate. Another thought for my setup and those who don't keep refilling is how will the bearing will look after sitting unused. Is this bearing completely stainless or is some corrosion to be expected? Thanks to all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about that water cooled idea. Seems to me like a bad idea. the tail shaft bushings are lubed by the oil in the bowl. Water may keep them cool but what would keep them from gaulding? when those bushings go bad the shaft wobbles when that happens the impeller and wear ring can make contact. I rebuilt mine two years ago and had to replace the shaft, wear ring and impeller. There was so much taper on the shoulder of the impeller that I trashed it. I think I would find another bowl, and get rid of the water cooled idea, but thats just my 02. You might give Jim at Performance Jet a call @ 1-707-823-6713 I'm sure he could tell you more about what you have and make some sugestions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not do it.
    Found it beats the bowl bearings up real quick.
    Keep a watch on it.
    Take hand hole cover off grab shaft to see if it will move up and down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you did this i would think you would run a different material for the bearing some sort of teflon bearing or what ever they use on snowmobile track slides

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only thing that you have to do to convert a berkeley to water lube is to remove the bowl plug in the center of the bowl, no drilling required, this will allow the high pressure area of the exit water to back flush the shaft. i do not prefer to do this, although i know a pump rebuilder that buys from me that says he does this to every berkeley that he has rebuilt for years. the rub is that like the water lubed dominator is that you should NEVER start the pump out of the water.the dominator came from the factory with a harder 17-4 shaft and even then in later years they went to a grease cyclinder. i mfg a repair sleevefor a west coast pump company that will restore a worn berkeley and others back to oem and it also uses a clip ring to prevent blowing out the seal from excessive grease pressure. it can be modified to use the orig lube.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe my Jacuzzi yj was also water lubed on the rear