Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Build question

Hi, I don't know if this forum is the right one, but I'm sure someone helpful will tell me where to go if it isn't.

I've been lucky to find a project locally and I'd like some direction. I found a guy who had a Clarkcraft boat frame kit that his Dad bought in 1973, still in the original box. I got it for $40, which seemed like a great deal. We have a place on a nice bay off Lake Ontario and I have been itching for a while to do a crazy-fun project, in addition to all the carpentry and other hard work I've done making our run-down cottage liveable and enjoyable. We had to basically start from scratch.

So this kit is a ClarkCraft CN-22 3pt hydro, according to their info from 1973 rated for Class C,D, & F and is 11'8" LOA. I wrote several times to CC, and they have absolutely no historical info on it. All I have are the very faded blue-ray prints that came with it, and a two page general written instruction and parts list. Some of the parts are numbered, the guy could not remember if they came that way, or his Dad did it, but some are not. I identified some of them of course easily by comparing to the parts list, but some are going to take some figuring. The prints are faded as I said, and they have like four or five distinct drawings on one sheet, some upside down, etc. I guess to save paper and space. But they are hard as heck to read.

I have moderate wood skills, and have done plenty of fiberglass repairs and mods to sailboats, runabouts, jetskis, etc, but have not done a project of this type before. I don't intend to race anything, as I am approaching 50, but just want something different and unique and fun to have at the dock.
    I like to go fast, and used to ride a standup a bit, but getting a little more cautious as I get creakier.

So some of my questions are thus:

I only have the 1973 catalog pages he gave me with it. I've scanned some of them in and I'll try to figure out how to post them. I thought on the current ClarkCraft website that this might be the Ben Hur, but when I saw the 1973 catalog, the Ben Hur was listed after this one as a "new" cabover design hydro. I don't know much about the sport, but it just looks like the pilot is situated farther forward, I guess for better weight distribution?

So does anyone have any CN-22 data? Would it be an OK toy to play with? I have plenty of access to good wood to finish it. The kit only comes with the small frame pieces.

And as to that, the two-page "ready reference" gives the "tie the girders in to the sternposts, but slide the stanchions up to the side strips, and then put the mizzenmast in there,,,,,:" OK so I made the last one up.

But the bottom line is that I have not built a boat frame, and am not positive which of those is what, and which ones I still need to fab, given the rather light details. Is there a good website where someone has shown the real step-by-step of a 3pt hydro that is similar to this? Something that I could follow along and maybe lists the names of the relevant parts?

I really don't want to screw up and waste any of these pieces. Also, the description says it is a flat bottom, but the plan view on the blueprints clearly shows a bottom fin, and even has a couple of lines printed about where to guess where to place it as a first try. So is it recommended I add the fin for increased stability? Once you've glassed and painted it, doesn't it get rather sloppy looking to start drilling more holes in the bottom to move it around? And then have to refill holes, etc? Or should I just skip it?

Another question is regarding outboards. I don't have a racing outboard, and having been laid off most of this year, have kind of limited funds available, a la my wife's approval, so to speak, to dedicate a lot of any money to this project. It's really just a way of keeping me a little sane in the winter months. I do have a 70's johnnyrude standard 70HP and a 70s Merc 650 triple that need some rebuilding that I could use. But will these be too heavy to use at all for this boat?

Remember, I am not going to race, or want all-out performance, just some fun.

Another question: the parts list calls among the hardware for 4lbs of 1" x 15gauge Anchorfast Nails. Would a comparable screw be better? I know it would take more time to sink them all versus nails, but is the extra holding power worth it, or a waste of money? I haven't read the plans enough yet to see where the plans suggest the nails versus the screw, I'm assuming the decking, so is that lower stressed on a frame boat versus something that is stitch and glue?

And I have a lot of stainless fastenings. Does anyone think they are a good substitute in the case of the wood screws or carriage bolts? Or should I go with silicon-bronze? And anyone's favorite vendor? (i.e. cheap)

I'm sorry for the huge amount of probably dumb questions, but I tend to go in to things a bit cautiously with research first before I actually start something. (although I bought this on a whim, the price just seemed too right, and would give me a kickstart in the building)

Thanks,
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I''ll try again with the images. I guess they were maybe too large?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The only truly suitable motors for these are collector's items that go for
    around $2500. Finishing out at the original 11' 8" it is only suitable for C,
    marginal for D ... these motors weigh only 125 pounds. Both of the motors
    you already have are 70-80 pounds over that. Additionally the transom of
    this type boat is made for a motor that can be mounted with the centerline
    of the propshaft even with the bottom of the boat at 12" to 15" from the clamps.
    If you measure your triples from the clamps to the top of the gear housing bullet,
    you will see how excessively long they are for this type boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a hydro I bought back in 2003 from Elderidge in Florida. Can post pics if anyone's interested. Great wood boat, inside was laid up in epoxy/cloth for water repellent. Maybe some day I'll get it to the races! Was going to use a Yamaha TZ250 to power it. Do have the race mid and lower unit, gives you a 2" x 6" flat plate to bolt of the power head of your choice!

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a Konig mid. Got any pictures of your boat or the mid and lower unit?