Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder were boating industry is going??

Have any on here ever wondered where the boating industry is heading and were we may be in the next few yrs?

I am a dealer for the past 25 yrs and been in it since i was 10 yrs old making me 35 plus yrs in something i have loved, but things are changing fast and maybe not for the best for the boating world..

First we have less product than ever to sell.. Meaning manufactors are going out of business left and right (genmar to name one) or filing for bankrupty and there are less to offer customers... Prices are goong up every yr. This yr we could see a 19ft runabout pushing the 25k mark due to the restrictions beeening put on us.

There is less people willing to get into the market due to the small profitts that we make... We invest millions and make hundreds.. ( guess way to be a millionare is have 2 mil. Get int the boat bussiness stop at 1 mil.)

we have no backing from the manufacter for financing and there is less than 2 out there and we pay a pentaliy to use them.

There are very very few young people that is willing now to work to learn the trade.. Not like in the 60's and 70's were you had kids wanting to learn it..

In my market the income is 75k and less if you have a house and car and you want a boat ... That is something you can't buy anymore..

Merc. For one is putting alot of pressure on dealers and in my opionion they would rather have a "bass pro shop" than a full service dealer.... I knwow this cause merc. In my area is telling people to go there..

Not a lot of reason any more to invest millions for something or a market area so slim...

AND THE LIST CAN GO ON AND ON... I HOPE THERE IS A BRIGHT LIGHT FUTHER DOWN THE ROAD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    down the tubes , with the rest of our country .. until we revolt and take back our goverment we are doomed
    dont ever use apple drywall company on long island , they suck !!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and the bright light down the road you see is your death
    dont ever use apple drywall company on long island , they suck !!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pyro's worst nightmare

China – The World’s Emerging Boat & Marina Market

China is one of the world’s most promising markets for boat building and equipment sourcing. With a GDP of US$ 10.17 trillion (2006 est.), Chinese boat and marina market is set for exponential growth. Market facts suggest that China is currently the world’s third largest market for big ticket items including boats. Annual sales for these items are 10% of world’s market worth approximately US$ 2 billion.

http://www.beijingboatshow.net/

http://www.chinaboatmarket.com/

So now instead of getting a hot dog and beer on the water, it will be kung poo squirrel and sacki

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatGoFaster1 View Post
    China – The World’s Emerging Boat & Marina Market

China is one of the world’s most promising markets for boat building and equipment sourcing. With a GDP of US$ 10.17 trillion (2006 est.), Chinese boat and marina market is set for exponential growth. Market facts suggest that China is currently the world’s third largest market for big ticket items including boats. Annual sales for these items are 10% of world’s market worth approximately US$ 2 billion.

http://www.beijingboatshow.net/

http://www.chinaboatmarket.com/

So now instead of getting a hot dog and beer on the water, it will be kung poo squirrel and sacki

I think you are right on the money (no pun intended).
    I am not in the boating business but I am involved in the heavy construction/ highway construction industry and that is exactly what is happening as i write this.
    Recently i spoke with a friend Who is in the asphalt biz and had just returnede from China.... opening up a new asphalt plant. The only problems they are having with the numerous plants they have opened is getting all of the liquid asphalt they need. The demand far exceeds supply,, even now in this global downturn. Yes, they are an American company but have to follow the $$$$.
    All of my suspicions about the future of our economy are so damn depressive I wont even write them here.
    I am 55 years of age and am a third generation pleasure boater. Boating,, particularly high performance boating has been my passion for 45 years. I have been watching the demise of many of the manufacturers and just wanna puke!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion the boating industry has been sliding into the crapper ever since the direction turned toward I/Os and boats that all look like white jelly beans. No individuality anymore, and very little that the everyday guy can afford to own, store, or tow that will give adequate performance.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family income is right at 75k and there is no way I would consider a new boat. I COULD but my lack of confidence in the economy won't let me. Thats why I have 4 used/reconditioned/rebuilt boats. Don't have the cost of a new V6 Merc in all four put together.

My son is the service mgr. at a local dealership that sells boats and campers, as well as rents camping sites in their back lot during race week at Bristol Motor Speedway. They also put up a computerized animated Christmas light show. They make a LOT more money on the camping and light shows. They are considering getting out of boats altogether. Sales are in the hole for boats and campers, but the service department made money way past the normal boating season this year. Just like the car repair biz, people are trying to keep them longer, so maintenance and repairs are increasing.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The New boat market here on LI is at a stand still. 4 years ago I sold 75 Boats personally, 3 years ago I didnt even make it to April, went back to marine supplies....the dealer I worked for was one of the largest on the island with 6 boat lines offering everything, and about 4 months ago he lost all of them. Most dealers are doing repowers, and service work. Stopped by the yard yesterday, usually the racks are full with customers boats & multiple boats would be getting preped for shrinkwrap & getting winterized around the clock and the racks were about a 1/4 full & no shrinkwrapping & 1 mechanic on hand and that was about it.....not looking good, exspecially when no banks are willing to loan the dealer or the customer any money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Quote" not looking good, exspecially when no banks are willing to loan the dealer or the customer any money.

That pretty much sums it up.

Lee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by props4u2 View Post
    "Quote" not looking good, exspecially when no banks are willing to loan the dealer or the customer any money.

That pretty much sums it up.

Lee

I talked to the manager of one of our local dealerships here a couple of months ago and he said he had plenty of customers wanting to buy, but the banks not loaning money has killed all sales.
    Gary Johnson
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
    -- John Adams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet the rv bussiness is turning up. Why did we bail out the banks if they are not gonna lend money. Up home winter storage is normal what was unnormal this last season was the boats that were not removed from storage for summer use alot put up for sale. In the past I have gone out of my way to pay a little extra at the local dealer but find myself hunting bargains on ebay and craigslist. Since the move to Fl I have not turned a wrench and only worked on one boat mine. Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a boat loan at my credit union for my used boat.Its only for $15,000.I bet if I tried to get $150,000 I would have trouble getting the loan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One problem for the banks and Insurance companies is that people are sinking/wrecking their boats to get out from under the payments.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up I

Have been on the forums more because I am at home with h1n1. No doubt the economy is in the tank but if everyone would spend as much time trying to make something of themselves instead of facebooking,tweeting and wasting time we would all be better off.

Make something of our country and wake up !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp View Post
    Have been on the forums more because I am at home with h1n1. No doubt the economy is in the tank but if everyone would spend as much time trying to make something of themselves instead of facebooking,tweeting and wasting time we would all be better off.

Make something of our country and wake up !!
    Your a jerk!I work 70 hrs a week.So go f yourself.Oh by the way Ill be here on-line waiting for your reply......................

P.S. just joking, but really do you think us high performance boaters here on scream and fly are slackers?I dont think my house on the bay,cars,boats and vacations are the result of my slacking,but you may be right.I could have been somebody!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast