Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE Fuel problem

Well guys I have taken everything from your posts and still have come up short! I replaced the electric pump with a new 130 GPH pump from Jegs along with the matching filter, lowered the fuel selector,pump and filter so that gravity feed from the tanks would feed the pump. I set the regulator for 6 to 7 pounds to feed the 770 holley carb and still the pump ran dry when I opened the boat up! After this I tried to run the tanks seperatly strait through the pump with the same results I tried popping the top on each tank to see if the tanks needed venting! still the same results the pump holds pressure untill I get the boat up on plane then it looses pressure Last but not least I pulled the tanks out and they still had some crap in them but for the most part they were clean and the pick ups were not clogged in any way! I am at my wits end with this thing I think its posessed The boat is probanly pushing 70MPH which I would have never though it would go that fast! I just can't keep the fuel flowing to the carb. Anyone with any more thoughts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the pressure reading of the pump coming from suction side or discharge side?

R.I.P Paul Lanzillo September 23, 1956,August 30, 2009 Miss you Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its on the fuel rail going into the carb!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I could have been more specific! the meter is on the fuel rail and on the discharge side. Sunapee boater thanks for the reply I just had to mention I have a brother that lives up there near you, he has a trailer set up near Wiers beach!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what type of carb are you using?

Was it checked after the stuff in the tanks was fixed?

the regulator is a return type right?

when you go full throttle how long does it last?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing that leads me away from the carb is the pressure is being lost before fuel gets to the carb. If the carb where plugged the pressure would increase. Still seems to me that there is a plug in a line before the fuel gage or a cracked pick up tube.

I love it over at wiers. My best freind lives right up the street out on govorners Island. You brother live there or just go in the summer?

R.I.P Paul Lanzillo September 23, 1956,August 30, 2009 Miss you Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take some type of fuel cell or small tank and install it directly before the fuel pump. If it still does the same thing, you have problems in the fuel pump, lines, filter, carb or something forward of the pump. If this solves the problem, you have trouble somewhere in the lines from the tank to the pump, pickups, venting problems of something behind the pump. If it runs okay with the test tank installed, unhook it at the pump and hook it to the fuel line that comes out of your tank. If it runs good then, it's in the tanks or pickups. If it doesn't run good like that, it's in the lines between the tank and the pump. I know it's a lot of trouble, but you've already had a lot of it. You just have to isolate one thing at a time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

just another thing to look at

Check the hose barb on the fuel tank. many boats have a check valve in this fitting to meet coast guard requirements. not much fuel can pass with a ball and spring in that thing.
    Helmut
    slow boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with a fuel return system fuel will flow constantly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fonz69 the carb is a 770 holley brand new and yes both bowls were checked and cleaned! once I plane out the boat and throttle up it will run wide open for maybe 20 seconds. I'm not sure what you mean by return regulator but I will check into it! Sunapeeboater I have replaced both pick ups which come out of the top of the tanks, I'm thinking like you that I'm not getting enough flow from the tanks to the pump! My brother has a summer trailer on the lake, he did live in Salem he moved to a town north of there I can't remember the name of it but he told me he was about 50 miles from the NH speedway! I'm a big time biker also and brother told me when ever I want too I can use the trailer for the wiers beach rally; Would love to make that one time, I heard it was a good time! Guys when I first put this motor in the boat it ran fine for the first two times I took it out! I've got both tanks cut out of the boat and both of them are clean; I think my next move is to try and get the in-tank pumps and sending units installed in both tanks or have the outflow nipple welded on the bottom of the tanks! Either way I'm thinking there's not enough flow from the tanks to keep up with the pump! Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you will hook up a test tank like I recommended, you will know if that is the problem real quick. You need to FIND the problem before you start spending money for "try it" parts. What size, (id), are the pick ups and lines from the tank? Welding the outlets in the bottom of the tanks is a dangerous way to go and aginst USCG regulations. Duane HTP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks DuaneHTP I didn't know that I guess if the external tank works I will go for the pumps in the tanks as I have allready spent a fortune on this problem alone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it possible you're vapor locking it? where are the fuel lines running? next to anything hot? is the pickup in the tank near the rear? have you thought about using a baffled tank that sloshes less? are fuel cells a possibility?
    Boost free, for now...
    Old Ladies Driving Slowly, Making Others Behind Infuriatingly Late Everyday

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fearless the pick ups are at the top of the rear of the tanks, and theres no way the fuel is boiling as the lines are no where near anything hot! after cutting the tanks from the boat I checked the tanks for baffels and they are in there! At the moment the tanks are out of the boat and I have flushed both of them and are being dried out! I am leaning towards the in-tank pumps as I believe the flow is not keeping up with the pump!Thanks for the reply and keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    return regulator is one that sends the fuel the carb does not need back to the fuel tanks and lets the fuel pump see fresh cool fuel at all times instead of the pump just spinning the unused fuel and heating up

Did you check the floats for proper height when in the boat?

Sounds like your just using up the fuel in the bowls when you hit the gas and it lasts for 20 seconds untill the fuel is all gone from them.

If you have the tanks out now anyway just do as Duane sugggested and strap a 5 gallon gas can in the back and stick a hose in it and see if the problem goes away. If that works then your problem is forward of the tanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast