User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Anybody Ever Rigged Or Seen A Vector Rigged With Cable/pulley Steering??

trying to install a system in my project boat and doing some serious head scratching on pulley location??
    Pictures would be great, RaceMan do you have/know anything??
    Thanx Guys!
    Gary
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go read byuboz

I ain't typing that again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    "RaceMan do you know anything??"

Actually, the only person that knows more than me is Miss Cleo, but she ain't into Vectors.

I'd think you'd have to tie em to the outside of the boat with a small plate on the outside for strength if you're gonna anchor em to the sides.. The pulleys at the front can be much wider than the steering bars. Depending how ugly you want to make it and assuming it's center steer/single front seat, you could always run em through the dash with the cables through the same type pulleys like're used on a formula 1 boat or an STV with Mod VP deck and cable/pulleys.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know Gary?

when you wanted the steering bars I told you I had all the other stuff to hook that steering up Butttt! NOOOOOOO you didn't need it Now you want it I still got ! have the pullies and the steering drum on a shaft with the removable wheel from my Mod VP boat. Call me if you need it. Greg

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Greg

Already had the rest of the steering system when I got the steering bars from you.
    I have rigged a couple dozen knee jockey boats with cable/pulley steering and the systems are identical.
    The issue is, for them to work efficiently/correctly you need to be able to come straight from the coaming pulleys by the dash (fed from the steering drum) to the ends of the steering bar.
    The way the Vector cockpit sides are shaped, there is no way to do it w/o going through the dack??
    The only way to run it "truly" straight is as RaceMan suggested by coming right out of the dash.
    Two problems with that.
    #1. It's ugly as hell having exposed cable running the entire length of the cockpit.
    #2. Also dangerous. Too much of a risk of becoming entangled in the case of an ejection.
    I think I have it figured out but I'm going to have to have a set of pullies custom made for the sides of the cockpit where the cables will run through from the bars.
    I will have to devert the cable run a bit (no longer straight) to do this though.
    Oh well, another 3 hour project turns into 3 weeks
    Gary
    P.S. I know, hydraulic. I don't have the cash for a rack system, let alone hydraulic.
    Best part is that I sold the rack system that came with the boat to help finance this project.
    OOP's!
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gatorman

my comp vector we rigged with cable steering had sailboat pully hardware just below dash into side of boat. reinforcing plates on outside of hull and a glassed block inside. used stainless hardware to extend pullys in to clear the inside of gunnels
    we set ours low so if you got pitched you would go over the cables near the front.
    yes cable steering is ugly, and can be a fillet knife if used properly/improperly[been there done that] but it is also the most positive best responding litest.
    look in ur sailboat hardware books for fairleads/pullys/deckplates etc. most is liteweight superstrong stainless pieces.

Danny
    Grandfather
    of the Sunshine Syndicate