Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boating in Cape Coral FL?

Hi There all ...

I've been a S&F Member for a while, but this is my first post ... Thanks to everyone who contributes to the Technical section of the forum, helped me out a lot over the years! ... this place is a wealth of knowledge! ...

So I just finished rigging a new to me 89 Seebold Tunnel Hull ... put a 200 Merc on it ... I'm in Canada, and our boating season is over up here until May, and this is really dissappointing as I've got this tunnel hull staring at me in the garage! ...

My family has rented a place in Cape Coral FL for the upcoming Christmas holidays, on one of the canals with a dock out front ... I'm curious as to if it would be worth my while to haul the boat behind me on the 25 hr. drive there in a couple of weeks ...

What is the boating like in Cape Coral? ...

I've searched it on Mapquest and am amazed at the canal setup there! ... it looks like a great place! ... What is it like to boat in the cove/river there? ... is it better suited to a deeper V-hull? or will my seebold tunnel be a blast to tear around there? ... Is it salt water in the river/cove? ...

I'd love to hear from any local boaters with smaller speed boats that are familiar with the area and can offer any info on what kind of conditions to expect or what kind of boat is useful down there ...

I attached a pic of it for those that aren't familiar with the hull ... it's a decent rough water boat, I know it will handle the chop better than an STV Euro of comaparable size.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seebold1.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i had it i would run it in the calusahachee river out of the franklin locks im sure its all salt from what your talking at that house
    google the locks see how close you are to that

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That boat would alot of fun. The FWC (Police) are all over that area because of the "NO-Wake" Zones. During the Holidays people really deck the halls around the canals and it is beautiful.But idle only.then go out toward Alva and run it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies! ...

I'm not adverse to salt water running, my concerns were with the conditions mostly, and if the area was better suited to deeper V-hulls ... the Christmas lights on the canals does sound pretty cool, every Christmas up here, the family takes a drive around the neighbourhood and checks out all the lights ... doing this by water sounds right up my alley! ... this will be my first Christmas without snow, which just doesn't seem right! ... but being able to go boating will definitely make up for that! ...

How are the police in FL? ... do they tend to hassle "louder" boats? ... it's not an offshore mid, but it has been modified and isn't "quiet" anymore ... the "no wake" zones isn't a problem, noise may be though! ... Any info on required gear? ... paddles, vests, etc? ...

I'm going to check out the Franklin Locks you mentioned ...

As long as I can get out in it a few times, it'll make up for the extra bad mpg I'll be getting on the highway towing the trailer!! ... not to mention the jealousy that my boating buddies here in Canada will be feeling!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have all Coast Guard approved equipment ! The DMV is a good place to pick up info for the area. The cops can be a hassle but you can drive right up to them and ask to point out slow speed and no-wake zones. The noise should not be an issue, there are alot of off-shore boats.(Donzi. Fountain etc) Their exhaust is loud ! Have fun, and have a safe trip!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worth bringing it down. You won't want to leave.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks 26Stinger ... that's pretty much what I wanted to hear! ...

it's really only an extra $200 in fuel to tow it down ... and that's still cheaper than renting a boat ... and let's be honest, a pontoon boat just isn't gonna cut it!

you guys have it great being able to boat all season!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're doing a run from Clewiston to Ft.Myers Jan 2. Let us know when you get down here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm fromn the other side of the State...

but boat a fair amount in the area you are talking about. The locals can tell you more, but I see really three areas other than the idle zone canals that are actually in Cape Coral.

On the South or West side of Cape Coral is the Caloosahatchee. In the area of Cape Coral it is very wide (mile or so), can be quite nasty if the wind is blowing the wrong way, and is about half idle zone and half 25 or 30 mph. You can usually get away with running more than 25 in a 25 zone, but not 70. This area is salt. Also, in the winter many parts of the state have more idle zones because of the presence of manatees (sea cows) but I don't know for sure about this area.

If you take the Calossahatchee to the West/South, you come out into Pine Island Sound, between the barrier Islands of Sanibel and Captiva on the West and mainland Cape Coral. I believe that the actual Pine Island is on the East side of this. When it is not blowing, that area can be very flat and great to run. Also, have seen many dolphins in that area. I would think that even holiday weekend boat traffic couldn't tear it up too bad, but again I defer to the locals. I have experienced times when the Caloosahatchee farther inland is rough, but this area is fine.

If you run East on the Caloosahatchee and go through the Franklin locks (lots of idle zones in between), you come to fresh water and some of the finest hot boating area I have ever seen, from the locks maybe 7 miles to Alva, then another maybe 15 or so to LaBelle. Flat, wide fresh water, interesting houses on each side, a swing bridge (if those things interest you), etc. You can boat there from Cape Coral, or put on the trailer and tow to the ramps on the north side of the River and East side of the locks, or to the ramp at Alva.

As far as equipment, you need a paddle, an anchor, a horn or whistle, a Coast Guard approved jacket for everyone aboard. I am pretty sure that there is a rule now that little kids must be in their jacket, maybe under six, but heck they should anyway. I'm not sure about the rule for a fire extinguisher--I believe if you have a deck with equipment under it, you need one.

If you want to talk more, call me--phone is in my signature.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were out on the Calossahatchee this weekend. It was my first time down there and I would go back, once the boat is running again. If you post up when you are coming down I bet the locals would be happy to show you around down there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also have to have flares for the intercoastal areas....at least that is what I was told by the marine patrol officer that stopped me a few weeks ago....the way he said it was basically "if it has channel markers, you need flares"....in addition to what was posted above, you also need a throwable PFD (one of those square cushions) and you do need a fire extinguisher that is EASILY accessible. The definition of EASILY is up to the discretion of the officer.

From the FWC

• The owner and/or operator of a vessel is responsible to carry, store, maintain and use the safety equipment required by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG).
    • All vessels are required to have onboard a wearable USCG-approved personal flotation device (PFD) for each person. The PFDs must be of the appropriate size for the intended wearer, be in serviceable condition, and within easy access. The State of Florida urges all people onboard a boat to wear a life jacket.
    • Vessels 16 feet in length or longer must also have at least one USCG-approved throwable Type IV PFD that is immediately available in case of a fall overboard.
    • A child under the age of 6 must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II or III personal flotation device while onboard a vessel under 26 feet in length while the vessel is under way. "Under way" is defined as anytime except when the vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore or aground.
    • Vessels with built-in fuel tanks or enclosed compartments where gasoline fumes can accumulate are required to carry at least one fire extinguisher (depending upon vessel length) which is approved for marine use.
    • All vessels are required to carry an efficient sound-producing device, such as a referee's whistle.
    • Vessels less than 16 feet in length are required to carry at least 3 visual distress signals approved for nighttime use when on coastal waters from sunset to sunrise. Vessels 16 feet or longer must carry at least 3 daytime and three nighttime visual distress signals (or 3 combination daytime/nighttime signals) at all times when on coastal waters.
    • The use of sirens or flashing, occulting or revolving lights is prohibited except where expressly allowed by law.
    • Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc.). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the following link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pool Guy,
    I have lived in Cape Coral for 35 years and boated all the waters around here. Bring your boat, you'll really enjoy it. The Caloosahatchee river has several idle speed zones but most of the river has a 25mph speed limit. Once you get out of the river into Pine Island sound there is no speed limit. There are several neat places to eat on several of the barrier islands. All the canals in Cape Coral are idle speed zones. Depending where you rent the house will depend on the time it takes to get out of the river. If the weather is nice you can skip out in the gulf and go to Ft Myers Beach for lunch on the inside of the Island. If the weather is really nice (not much wind) you can anchor off the beach on the east side of the pier, you'll see alot of boats anchored. You can also anchor off the beach on Sanibel Island.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Here!

Thanks for all the info everyone ... I'm here in Cape Coral now, and of course, it's raining! ... I dragged the boat through ice storms and snow, and almost got rear ended in Michigan! ... After scoping out the area, I'm thinking Alva is definitely going to be the best place to go ... I'm up for anything, if anybody wants to go for a day trip anywhere over the next couple weeks, contact me and I'm in! ... I'd like to see as much of Florida by water that I can! ... trailering a few hours to get somewhere is no problem ...

I'm heading to Alva tomorrow (Sat 19) for the first launch and some test and tuning ... if anyone cares to show me the area, feel free to let me know !

Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeBullet View Post
    You also have to have flares for the intercoastal areas....at least that is what I was told by the marine patrol officer that stopped me a few weeks ago....the way he said it was basically "if it has channel markers, you need flares"....in

That's not entirely correct. Visual Distress Signals are required in coastal waters only. See below.

Directly from FWC:

Vessels 16 feet or longer must carry at least 3 daytime and three nighttime visual distress signals (or 3 combination daytime/nighttime signals) at all times when on coastal waters.

Definition of Coastal Waters:
    Coastal waters are the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico and all bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc., where any entrance is over two miles wide to the first point where the distance between shorelines narrows to two miles.
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imho

Always better to have more safety gear than the law requires when ya get pulled over. Only so they get pissed cause the scumbags can't write ya!
    "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald, Now that we really need him?"