Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

winter time fun

the motor cleared the transom yesterday and this winter will be on the stand in the extra bedroom getting another massage. Hopefully in the spring i will be dropping in a motor that lasts a few seasons. anxious to see the innards and pinpoint the problems. determined to stay oldsmobile.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatermike View Post
    the motor cleared the transom yesterday and this winter will be on the stand in the extra bedroom getting another massage. Hopefully in the spring i will be dropping in a motor that lasts a few seasons. anxious to see the innards and pinpoint the problems. determined to stay oldsmobile.
    Nice! I think the last sentence explains your problems. Are you going to post pics and an explanation if/when you find out what's wrong?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

details will be posted

its obvious to me that i lost oil pressure due to not installing new cam bearings. i did not want to wait another week and spend more money. the cam bearings looked good but i should have had then replaced. live and learn. hopefully the crank will still be good enough for a regrind.

could there be any reliability with olds? did berkley have problems from the beginning? did anyone enjoy years of trouble free service? did anyone go faster than 55 with a berkley olds?

please post negativity soon as future posts will not be welcoming negativity

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ran 52MPH in an Apollo Tri-hull, same setup, no real problems, except for over revving and bending some push rods, then getting our ass chewed from dad, He knew. Dependable alot of re dwelling points and tweaking the Quadrajet.
    I like the spare bed room I have a 52 Harley and a 7.5, 1956 Evinrude (Mint) in my living room.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got a 455 with plenty of work in a carribean spinning an A 5100 70mph on a garmon nuvi probly around 75-78mph next year

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boatermike View Post
    its obvious to me that i lost oil pressure due to not installing new cam bearings. i did not want to wait another week and spend more money. the cam bearings looked good but i should have had then replaced. live and learn. hopefully the crank will still be good enough for a regrind.

could there be any reliability with olds? did berkley have problems from the beginning? did anyone enjoy years of trouble free service? did anyone go faster than 55 with a berkley olds?

please post negativity soon as future posts will not be welcoming negativity

Ive had a lot of years out of an Olds/Berk combo that was in my taylor SJ Run 62 GPS decieded to retire the olds though and built a 12to1 496 to replace it with last year. Hope I dont regrett it, Just had the need for speed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09 OHBA Boat Bash.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the stand

all broke down and looking into bearings tomorrow. my cam button bolt was finger tight and i guess i got lucky there. cam seems fine and i feel like fool for not doing cam bearings last time.

this time i am going all the way