Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indoor Go Karting - my new addiction

About 2 weeks ago my brother went to this indoor go kart track http://www.mpgrandprix.com and was driving like his life depended on it. He flipped the kart and cracked a rib no joke.

I've never been there before, but yesterday he wanted to go back (he's 28 years old, I'm 31) - as stupid as it sounded with his busted rib, we went racing anyway. Holy crap are those things fast, I'm hooked, now I know what I'm doing all winter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one here too and I agree it's addictive. I just wish I wasn't so slow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got one also, its awesome, they toss powder down on the track so you can drift the turns, for electrics they are pretty fast.

http://www.karts1.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones we were on ran on propane - 9 HP

Talked with the owner of the place, cool guy, he said they actually put used motor oil down on the concrete to make the tires stick better - weird. It's just a big warehouse, with track and a bar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to race Unlimited 2-strokes and we were burning Methanol/Nitromethane/castor which was noxious enough outdoors with a good breeze. We were turning as many RPM as a F1 car [18K]. If you drew a start number that put you at the back of the pack you would choke.
    I raced the electric karts in Tampa a couple of years ago and still managed to beat my SOL who is 50# lighter. The electric are quick but nothing like the unlimiteds [70+ MPH in a 300' Dirt straightaway].

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I dont know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion. Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, yeah we closed the place and once all the karts were turned off you'd just keep hearing a BEEP BEEP BEEP --- turns out the carbon monoxide detectors were going nuts in the place. I guess that's "normal" there, no one seemed to even care.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.karts1.com in Ronkonkoma Long Island is a blast. I've had my 10 year old son and 13 year old daughter get their license to drive at the higher voltage motors and powder on the track, drifting to the max. Thrusday night is the best night, no one is there and we had the track to our selves.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a place that had electric indoor go-karts. There was a pit area with huge chargers with cables hanging from overhead. If you mis-behaved, theoperator could hit a button on their remote to handicap your car for one lap.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my kids might whip my a$$ on the x box,but when we get on karts, I'm Dale Senior.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like fun. I don't know if they have one around here that is indoors. When I was a kid they had one at a ski place here that was gas, outside, and a dirt track. Now that was fun, they kept it smooth somehow and it was great drifting in the fast corners.

My inlaw was on a team when he was younger, running twin McCulloch. He was not the driver in races, but said the thing was wicked fast and would light up the tires. Said they got new motors all the time, the dealer made his money by selling the ones they won races with.
    "As government expands, liberty contracts." -Ronald Reagan
    Liberty = boating

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
    That looks like fun. I don't know if they have one around here that is indoors. When I was a kid they had one at a ski place here that was gas, outside, and a dirt track. Now that was fun, they kept it smooth somehow and it was great drifting in the fast corners.

My inlaw was on a team when he was younger, running twin McCulloch. He was not the driver in races, but said the thing was wicked fast and would light up the tires. Said they got new motors all the time, the dealer made his money by selling the ones they won races with.
    When I first started racing, it was with a McCullogh 101 B and it was almost impossible to keep running. I can't imagine trying to keep two running. The best engines were the Yamaha KT100s and The Komets. There was also a 130 cc B-Bomb but no one raced them.

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I dont know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion. Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gone to Speed indoor carting in Fort Lauderdale a few times. It's fun as hell. Gasoline powered Honda motors and they're pretty quick. It get's pretty exhausting after about 10 minutes of white-knuckle driving. Plus they have a little sports bar and arcade. Good fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a margay 'Panther" with the McCullough's ,use to drive it on the street in Toronto. Most fun you can have with your clothes on. tried a 750 norton comando engine but couldn't keep it going straight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The indoor karting thing is a lot of fun - especially up here during the long winter. Careful where it leads though..... My boat was sold to transition my speed addiction into kart racing. It was supposed to be cheaper than rebuilding 2.5's and burning 25 gallons of race gas every time you went out. Yea, well.......

Still, unless you're the guy with millions laying around to indulge your every need, a shifter kart is as close to driving an open wheel race car as most of us will ever get. On a short track (eg. Blackhawk Farms - about 2 miles) they are about 5-6 seconds faster than a GT3 Porsche and it takes a Pro level rider on a Superbike to beat one that's driven by a sled like me. Although it's not really "cheap", it's the least expensive real speed you can get. I highly recommend it..
    Currently involved in activity that can only break one piston at a time......