Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all new but never started

hows it going all? I have project that Im just finnishing up and I have a few questions to ask before I mess something up. First of all, its a 21' 1976 Tahiti Daycruser with a 454 chevy and a Bercley Jet. The guy I got it from started the project in '89 and had it gutted.he put a killer paint job, got a new wiring harness, rebuilt and bluprinted the jet, rebuilt the lower end. Bought new carb,Intake, dist and everything to complete the motor, and then covered it and let it sit till this year when i saw it t through an open fence and asked him about it... he gave it to me. snyway, I put the motor together and got it to start for a second but now that I know that it runs, what do I need to do to prep the jet before running it and is there anything else that i need to know before-hand. Im a mechanic but Ive only owned one boat and it wasn't a jet. Thanks Jeremy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Find. That is kind of a loaded question you are asking though. You might want to provide a little more info about the condition of the boat, motor, etc... Pics would be a huge help too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't run that pump out of water. It should have a greese zert and 2 oil plugs.

#52- oil plugs http://www.arsmarine.com/Pump_Diagra...erkeley_JC.htm

pop one out and see if they put any oil in after the rebuild, I sure hope so. Then there should be a zert around the tail end of the shaft.

DON'T RUN IT OUT OF WATER!!! If it's not hooked up to the motor spin it by hand and see if it's turns smooth. Check it for OIL!!! first!! I don't need a pic.

Silhouette II Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I brought my boat back to life there was a phase where I needed to run the motor a lot. As others have said - do not run in your garage or driveway with the pump hooked up to the motor. I took out the ujoint so I could keep working on the motor without having to tow it to the water. Rigged a garden hose for cooling.

Then, after I was confident in the motor. I hooked the ujoint back up and from then on, had to avoid running the motor unless I was backed into some water so the Berk pump can stay safe.
    74' Apollo Starfire 18'
    429 BBF mid-engine
    Berkeley 12J, PD and NO intake fins