Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Arrow *** VIP Team Member Giveaway Contest - Post Your Restoration/Upgrade Project! ***

Alright VIPs, here we go. We have two very large, comprehensive books on digital photography that will help anyone looking to shoot better photos of their boats or races. These were sent to me by the publisher for promotion, so here's your chance to own one. Since we have two books, we'll have two winners.

The Contest:

• For this contest, you need to post two photos of a project or restoration that you've undertaken - One 'before' photo, and one 'after' photo. You can also post some details about that you did in the project.

• You must have performed all or most of the work depicted in the finished product.
    • All submissions must be on this post, and one submission per user.
    • The thread will be closed on Saturday, October 17 at midnight.

We'll have many more Team Member and VIP giveaways really soon. Have fun.

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my 20' Taylor LP when I brought it home. This one set me back $1000. A 2.4 Merc was scattered in the boat, rusted to scrap. The seats were rotted and falling apart. For some reason there were 2 speedometers installed in the dash, 1 was a Teleflex and the other was a Mercury. The trailer was rusted with dented fenders, rotted tires and no working lights. Although the boat was pretty rough to look at, it was a really solid start for this project.

The next summer this is what I had. After gutting everything out of and off the boat was I able to see just what needed attention and how much. I started with lots of sanding with 400 wet and dry on the bad spots. After removing the blemishs, I resanded with 600, then 1000, 1500 and finishing with 2000. I'm not sure how many sheets of sand paper I used but it was probably 50 or 60. after the entire boat was wet sanded I spent several weekends machine polishing to lets it shine like it did when it was new. All the shine comes from the polishing, the wax just protects the finish. The dash was swiss cheese so I filled in the holes I didn't use and mounted new gages with SeaStar hydraulic steering and some Rex marine red anodized hardware. The only thing I didn't do myself were the seat covers and installing the covers on new seat bases. The Amish stiched the interior and a toneu cover following the original tuck and roll stiching & colors. The guy who did the work was 20 years old at the time and his work was perfect. The motor is a eBay 2.4 Merc Offshore mounted on a Mercury Paralift jackplate. The trailer was sandblasted and painted with white and 3 shades of grey with red striping to match the boat. Goodyear Eagles on Cragers SS wheels keep it off the ground. LED lighting keeps it seen at night. It took me about 6 months of spare time to restore this boat to the finished condition. When I was finished the boat was running in the high 70's. To get the boat to run faster it needed mechanical trim and jack plate height indicators so the "sweet spot" was never a guess.

Last edited by Bruster; 10-03-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1978 21 Challenger. Started it when i was 14..using it as im 16 Bought it with some junk old rigging, a shot and broke transom,rotted floor,bulkheads and some core in the deck. Fixed all that,rigged it,carpeted it,did the interior and custom made the dash. Now trying to get it dialed in.

Johnny Saris
    Driver-441 32 Cobra
    Saris Racing Engines
    World and National Champions
    www.facebook.com/TeamSaris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm reading this correctly (And had my wife read it also),.... This contest is for VIP members only. There will be other contests for team members at a different time.
    Right or wrong??

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaStreamin View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly (And had my wife read it also),.... This contest is for VIP members only. There will be other contests for team members at a different time.
    Right or wrong??
    Hi Ron - yes, that is correct. We'll have contests for everyone, and I have plenty to give away. I promise I'll do my best to make this winter a lot of fun for everyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***** my bad didnt read that well enough
    Johnny Saris
    Driver-441 32 Cobra
    Saris Racing Engines
    World and National Champions
    www.facebook.com/TeamSaris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Come on guys, I see I'll have to extend this a bit. Let's get some good projects posted here.