Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harden View Post
    Too bad Merc has moved its production of mid sized engines to China and almost all of their electrical is assembled in Mexico. Now that's American. Merc has been rapidly loosing marketshare to Yamaha over the last several years because the average consumer wants a turn key engine with no major issues and as bad as I hate to admit it, right now that engine is Yamaha. I don't think you can find anything on Yamaha 4-strokes that has been copied from Merc. In fact Yamaha built all of Mercs first 4-strokes. The Verado is a joke and Merc better wake up or Yamaha will continue to roll them over. As a dealer for both Merc and Yamaha I can honestly say that Yamaha is a MUCH easier company to deal with. And I am not biased one way or the other as my Dad first went to Merc school in 1961 and has been a Merc and Mercruiser Master Tech since 1972 and my brother has been a Merc Master Tech since 1990.
    I would like to buy American too and I will as soon as they can give me a product worthy of the cost.
    I hear ya, I worked at a Merc/Yamaha dealership for 15 yrs. People would ask me what eng to buy and all I had to do was show them the warranty parts list we kept for each brand; 10 times longer list for Merc with less engs sold total than Yamaha. Then they always wondered why all the mechanics in the shop had Mercurys on their own boats; cause the Yamahas didnt blew up enough to accumulate any parts for us!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well and to say Yamaha copies? The F115 thru F250 is copied from what Mercury? The 3.3liter Yammie motor is a version of the Yamaha motor used in the Ford Tauras SHO,granted the SHO is a 18yr old motor, now thats funny,yet most here are right....Im hoping Evinrude can take up some of the salt water motors from Yammie, some tell me they see more White Etecs down on the coasts.....just a thought.....the industry will definitely be different in the next 3yrs.....Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was gonna say, yamaha has always done their own thing and been ahead of the times with their products. dont take me wrong, the bridgeport style mercs are nasty! but when they toss their cookies its ugly and expensive. when the opti-pops came out, i was fishing a b.a.s.s. tourney on toho in florida and the yamaha techs where at the mercury tent helping change power heads. i have seen more problems and dealt with more merc problems than i have seen with yamahas. not saying at all the yamahas dont break ever, but i have just seen more merc problems. the worse thing i have had with my outboard is ethanol crystalizing the carbs. other than that bullet proof for 10+ years under heavy tournament fishing. still orignal prop, clean carbs, plugs, and lower unit oil. thats it. i cant wait to see what yamaha is up to. wont be cheap of course like anything out there these days. i remember when the fichts came out those where classic for breaking also. time will tell. who really gives a f anyways i rather be boating than sitting online!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    Well and to say Yamaha copies? The F115 thru F250 is copied from what Mercury? The 3.3liter Yammie motor is a version of the Yamaha motor used in the Ford Tauras SHO,granted the SHO is a 18yr old motor, now thats funny,yet most here are right....Im hoping Evinrude can take up some of the salt water motors from Yammie, some tell me they see more White Etecs down on the coasts.....just a thought.....the industry will definitely be different in the next 3yrs.....Brannon
    Big saltwater boats dont wont a 2 stroke, too much oil to carry for 500 gallon fuel tanks. When you burn 200 gallons a day fishing dont take long to eat up alot of $ in oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just wondering, but i have a 30 gallon tank on my boat, with a carbed 175 vmax, i never burn a ton of oil. so that would be 6.6 of my tanks in the salt boat. i think my boats resivoir holds a gallon something? i can run maybe 3 tanks off it? so that would just be a few gallons of oil if not just one of those larger jugs. i honestly never pay mind to the oil, if the tank has a 1/4 fill of oil i know i am good but i will top off every now and then. safety reason i keep an extra jug on board anyways. but if this new outboard is a 4 stroke it will be better for the enviroment anyways. just hope your not 60 miles offshore and you come on your oil change hours! LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yammi has ditched their 2strokes in most of their markets so it is/was only a matter of time before it happened. And don't be surprised if BRP doesn't start sneaking them in there also. You northern boys will remember how Ski-Doo (BRP's bread and butter) talked smack and said they will never go 4stroke. Well look what happened last year they put out a 4strokoe that is now one of their best sellers even moreso than the E-tec.
    Blizz

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
    You northern boys will remember how Ski-Doo (BRP's bread and butter) talked smack and said they will never go 4stroke. Well look what happened last year they put out a 4strokoe that is now one of their best sellers even moreso than the E-tec.
    That's because the 4-stroke uses fewer crankshafts per season...funny how taking all the oil out of a two stroke has an ill effect on longevity lol.
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whole thing is like with quads and dirtbikes, 4 strokes have the technology now and just make a ton of torque and power. also epa pushing for better emmisions as well. i had a 83 xt250 that was a total bear, hair scramble, hill climb, enduro it was really snotty for its time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zx185 View Post
    just wondering, but i have a 30 gallon tank on my boat, with a carbed 175 vmax, i never burn a ton of oil. so that would be 6.6 of my tanks in the salt boat. i think my boats resivoir holds a gallon something? i can run maybe 3 tanks off it? so that would just be a few gallons of oil if not just one of those larger jugs. i honestly never pay mind to the oil, if the tank has a 1/4 fill of oil i know i am good but i will top off every now and then. safety reason i keep an extra jug on board anyways. but if this new outboard is a 4 stroke it will be better for the enviroment anyways. just hope your not 60 miles offshore and you come on your oil change hours! LOL
    Where do you put the oil filter and the used engine oil....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    in the recycling bin....
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All im sayin guys is their is no Right way or Wrong way, just 2 different opionions,.its been rumored that BRP will finally bring back the Johnson name for a line of Rotax 4 strokes, could be, but I really dont think they will ditch the E-TEC motor, they would have wasted Billions and Billions of dollars on those Sweet DVDs all you guys love so much...all I can say is Evinrude takes care of me way more than the others (as a salesperson) and really takes care of its Consumers...Hell even racers are treated right, I just can wait for the Yamaha Vmax to be released, we need more Outboard Hype, god knows Ive talked enough about it...Brannon Dude your SRV is Sick As HELL!!!! Where can I see more pics???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    in my waste oil heaterrecycle the filter/as for xstreamvking yamaha coping merc what did they copy putting the pistons inside the motor,mercs been buying yamaha tech for years.I service both Merc and yamaha far less warrenty work and post warrenty on yamaha.and remember this is a goverment action to be more fuel efficent that has made all our favorite motors go away or become overweightits progress with some growin pains for all
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut
    2016 King of the Cut
    2017 King of the Cut💪

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like Merc is going the way OMC did in the last few years of its life...sending less than fully sorted product out and having trouble fixing it whilst pretending there's nothing wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like Merc is going the way OMC did in the last few years of its life...sending less than fully sorted product out and having trouble fixing it whilst pretending there's nothing wrong.
    Merc has always had a fix it in the field approach to me. Everything new you have to wait 5 or 6 yrs for all the bugs to be found by the consumer. I remember the very first 3 liters the cooling holes for the water dumps in the tuner were too close to the ex ports sucking water back into the engs, I mean did they actually run the things on boats or what!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we find out today or tommorow
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut