Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haskell over heating

Hello Eveyone ,
    great fourm signed on today .
    Bought a 83 Haskell with panther jet drive and a AMC 360 engine , Boat is in great shape , but overheats 240 mid to high speed , This is my first jet boat , so any help would be great . Tried some Boat shops in the Houston area for service , but most never heard on this boat, let alone work on it
    Again thanks for all the help !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billpro785 View Post
    Hello Eveyone ,
    great fourm signed on today .
    Bought a 83 Haskell with panther jet drive and a AMC 360 engine , Boat is in great shape , but overheats 240 mid to high speed , This is my first jet boat , so any help would be great . Tried some Boat shops in the Houston area for service , but most never heard on this boat, let alone work on it
    Again thanks for all the help !!
    Does it have over transom or thru transom exhaust? Is it log exhaust or headers? Does it have a thermostat? Pics of the plumbing would help greatly.

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boat has log type manifolds , stat is out , from what I was told , does not overheat when hooked up to garden hose , but when In water and give it gas overheats in up to 240 .
    Had a boat shop check out the pump , and now they want to tear down the motor , yet boat runs great .
    Is there anything I might be overlooking ?
    Any help would be great
    Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jet pump is the water supplier for the motor, I'd check there first, to see if it's plugged or blocked off.
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC

UMPBA 926 Gas Jet

My Projects http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dir...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what sleekcrafter said. I'd also contact Tom at Jet Boat Performance. He is pretty active in the jet forum over at performanceboats.com and always willing to help. That panther/AMC combo is kinda rare these days but I have seen a couple of guys with them post over at PB. Maybe they will have some suggestions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 76 Kurtis with a 360 AMC and a Panther Jet. Check pantherjet.com for the water diagram, make sure your thermostat is removed and also REMOVE the extra bypass hose most of these come with. The bypass goes from the front water cover (where the water pump would have gone) to the thermostat housing. Cap them off and double check the water diagrams.

I just had the same problem, but overheating all the time, check the "jet boat won't accelerate" topic in this forum.

Other than that, you have water that goes into a VERY simple hole in the main housing. It gets sent up by the pressure your jet makes pushing water thru the housing. If you don't have acceleration, see the other topic I mentioned.

If your boat DOES accelerate, then water isn't circulating. Hook your hose up to the elbow connection to flush out the pump side as well, just in case it's blocked.

Let us know if you got that beast going and how...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choppme ,
    Why was your AMC 360 overheating for ? We might have the same issue .
    Had a "boat shop " check out the jet pump says it was ok. Called PJ in CA , which by the way very very helpful , says there might be wear in the pump causing loss of water at speed .
    Mine runs great at idle , no over heating only at speed.
    Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haskell

This is off the subject, but do you have a pic of the boat?I have a 83 Haskell as well but has a 461ci BBC with B&M 420 mega blower and a Berkley pump. I have never seen another 83 haskell just want tot see what it looks like. Here is mine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My engine was overheating because with that extra hose hooked up, the water didn't have the pressure to push through the engine fast enough to cool it down. If the water has that bypass hose, it will run through it AND the engine, but the circulation through the engine is very limited.

Make sure you get rid of the bypass hose between the front chamber cover and the thermostat, I spoke with Steve at Panther Jet and he said it shouldn't have been on there.

If you're worried about cavitation, drop the back half of your jet and pull your impeller blades off, check the housing. I just posted some pics of my housing with some serious pitting...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone have a pic of the panther impeller?