Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha or outboard

some help or opinions please

still considering a 1990 formula 206ls, sold with a 350 reconditioned engine, new heads, new crank case, new holley carb, new pumps, new starters, etc...

or i can just buy the hull and strap on a 250 outboard with a bracket.

the sound of the v8 is appealing, but im worried about the alpha even though it is in pretty good condition. paint is still good and it has been stripped.

what are yyour thoughts on this? do i rip out the engine it was designed for, or strap on a nice big rude 250?

any thoughts welcome.

incidentally, i was also offered the hull of a cigarette 21. completely bare, no rot though. nice and solid. but needs a hull up conversion. probably twice the cost of the formula and much more beach cred. saw another cig 21 that was painted black hull, white top, fitted with racing bolsters but underpowered with a 175. thing still flies and looks the business....also a project that i was offered two years ago, but turned it down because of the termites. cost the guy $35,000 to get it back in the water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a RUDE more like a 300 merc.

It would be do able but you would still have a gaping hole to cover from the out drive which could be a cause for concern in the future if not done right. If the alpha is in good shape then it would be acceptable, but you wouldnt be able to beat on it and accelerate hard without worrying

jay
    89 charger-93 merc 2.5L 245hp
    Soon to be MAD EFI!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've converted two boats a 1975 Sutphen jet over to an outboard, and a 1976 Wellcraft Nova two twin outboards. you are better off replacing all wood on the transom, and you will have to beef up the stringers and raise them to take the load correctly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help guys, i do like the idea of 300 but i have been offered a 2006 250 for next to nothing. thats why its an option, at least for now.

im happy to keep the alpha, as it came with the original spec. my only concern is reliability and future issues. around these parts we use outboards more than sterndrives because the mechanics have an issue with parts from the local dealer. i have no problem getting them stateside.

my question to you guys is, what trouble can i expect from the alpha? granted i will definitely be looking after it with regular gear lube change and it will be dry stacked. what else can i expect?

the exhaust goes through the silent choice system, so no leaking below to worry about, apart from that?.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the motor a big block or small block? Alpha's can't handle large torque, that's why they built the bravo drive.