Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to modify a fishin motor

We dont all drive light wieght race boats even though we all wish we could. Some of us have heavier hulls like bass boats. And not bullets, allisons, or strokers. We all want top performance though. I recently bought an 18 foot champion with a mariner magnum efi 150. I am not new to performance engines but am a newbie to outboards. I have no idea whether I have a 2.0 or 2.5 or anything between. I would like some advice on modding my motor. Things like bolt on high comp heads. Changing ecu and all that stuff. Please share the wisdom that I have read in all of these other posts. I am sure I am not the only one who needs this info.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can find the (Big Al) on this sight. He has a very impressive Bullet bass boat with a Black modified motor.He did the work himself.
    David
    all about the go fast with no tickets

19 ft nordic pickle fork

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xpressman al View Post
    We dont all drive light wieght race boats even though we all wish we could. Some of us have heavier hulls like bass boats. And not bullets, allisons, or strokers. We all want top performance though. I recently bought an 18 foot champion with a mariner magnum efi 150. I am not new to performance engines but am a newbie to outboards. I have no idea whether I have a 2.0 or 2.5 or anything between. I would like some advice on modding my motor. Things like bolt on high comp heads. Changing ecu and all that stuff. Please share the wisdom that I have read in all of these other posts. I am sure I am not the only one who needs this info.
    Welcome.
    These guys have been makin em scream for years, and they write a lot about it. It's all in the history.
    Grab a cupa java, or a cool one, belly up to the computer, and do some searches. It's a long weekend. You really don't need any sleep.

hope it helps
    John
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xpressman al View Post
    Post a pic of the boat, and be sure to get a shot of the transom so we can see which hull it is. We all can help with "set-up" to get you started.

There's several things that can be done to get a lil more power, but it's mostly in the prop and set-up that makes a bass boat perform better.

Kaase Outboard Hydro/Bottle Fed 300 Drag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is a late model it will be a 2.5L. Post the serial#. If it is so depending on what year, most of the 150 EFI/ 175 EFI are the same engine with different ECU's. So you can have a simple 25HP bolt on. On some of the 150's they have the same porting as the 200's (very few years) and with ECU, timing change and addition of the detonation system you can have a 200. I just worked on a 96 champion with a 175 EFI and that thing impressed me. Boat lifts good and shot right up on the pad. IT would run for a NON-Performance bass boat!!! It would have made some of the bullets around here raise a eyebrow. But like mentioned, get it set up to optimum what you have and add power later. Where you at in AL????
    James Perry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man. I will post the serial numders as soon as I figure out where they are. I told you guys I was a newbie. I feel pretty dumb. A 320 horse volkswagon engine sure. Bring me a block. Serial num bers on an outboard? What? Where? I do however understand jackplate setup and prop selection. I have done that on my last boat. I am in Pell City Alabama on the shores of beautiful overcrowded overfished Lake Logan Martin. Thank you all for the help and please keep it coming. It may seem unrealistic but I want the only champ on the water runnin 80 mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I seen on the one I just worked on with some more HP it would be within reach. Most of the time it only takes a little work to have some HUGE increases. The one I worked on, once the guy get use to it, we are going to bolt on a 200 ECU and see how it reacts, granted it won't make 200Hp because the porting is .050 lower on exhaust, but should see something.
    James Perry