Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Trailer bearings..

Heres the skinny. HOA, marina/launch a block down, and a slip. I'm sick and tired of salted out trailer bearings. Have a 26 foot, 20, and the Flatbottom...(junk again bearings). Trailers get used very little, just an in and out.
    ALWAYS hosed off good, Bearing Buddys,..(yes.. NEVER pumped full....just a touch of spring pressure, so as not to blow out the rear seal..(thats how they are supposed to be worked..pressure just a touch over the water pressure, wanting in) ..the best salt grease, ..uuuggghhh.
    Aint it about time, SOMEONE, started making CERAMIC BEARINGS?
    An axle cost me $20-30 to replace..(yep, do my own work..at it right now)
    I'd give a "Sawbuck"...A SIDE..for something that last. And thats six sides..axles...all trailers.
    Many wizards here, who make stuff "needed"...we need some "new think" here..steel and salt....sucks..!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman39 View Post
    Yep, know about them. Thats good for "road miled" trailer boats, more or less. And a step above BB's, which work fine..IF..ya got a good seal on the rear. While I'm at it on BB's..do NOT use the plastic covers. When stored. Cheap stuff gets hair line cracks..sun/heat. Then here comes the salt. And ya never see it. ..and it sits at the axle nut. Best too full up grease, the outer hub , put them on when trailing..(grease flings off.. on the hull)..but yank'em, when the dunk. ..let the water evap, then put back on..(I learn alll this stuff the hard way!
    Been at it too damn long, 21 years Machinist. My take is a flat Ceramic bearings, with side thrust washers, made of something.."salt proof"
    Yep, talking new "Hubs"...but see way too many "skids marks"..for blocks, frozen trailer tires.,..coming out our salt launch.
    My take here, is there has to be a better way...think the Ceramic Circ Pumps..I/O's. Someone will figure it...make millions, and save many, a salt headache!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever thought of the oil bath hubs, most have clear ends so if any water gets inside the oil will turn white. Then clean it out, better than seized brngs.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    Ever thought of the oil bath hubs, most have clear ends so if any water gets inside the oil will turn white. Then clean it out, better than seized brngs.
    Dave
    Hmmm..ya got a point there. I'll have to try a set! Thanks..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts exactly...

One other was if you notice the bearing oil is synthetic which means even with water mixed in it will protect the bearings alot better than any grease and also reg mineral oil... We run nothing but Lucas synthetic hub oil in our big trucks and sometimes you end up spotting a front wheel bearing with milky looking oil in it and of course we change out the oil and just refill if no evidence of the bearing going south and so far no bearing issues period...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Stratos has oil bath hubs....4 of them....I have put close to 35,000 miles on the trailer now and the only problem I have had was one seal that was leaking...quick fix and hit the road again. I have only changed the lube in them one time, about time to do it again. I tow it all over, launched in the salty stuff, fresh stuff, hit the road 85mph for 10-12hrs at a time, etc....I wouldn't have anything but oil bath hubs!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good info..all
    BB's OK..IF!..ya got a damn good rear seal. I polish the crap out the seal area, rebuilds, but with wear over time, and the seal wear..it loses its ability to hold any pressure. Always give a pump before a dunk too.
    And on BB plastic caps..all it takes is a little corrosion on the hub, and here comes the salty crap..then it stays in there. Ya know water goes everywhere ya DON"T want it too!
    Mostly our problems here is few tow regularly. Just a dunk, wash off trailer, boats in the slip..(104 slips)..spend a few weeks or so... then without bottom paint, its a "barnacle thing!".
    Mostly its the trailer sitting mean time.
    Then, all fine rolling back down, then the weight of the boat, locks up the bearing. Of course, most are stupid anyway, but I make a few bucks replacing their zero maintenance, bearings!
    Anyway, back to the Oiled caps. From the many boat forums..hear little complaints...if any.
    Also remember something off Iboats forums, (have 5000 post over there, but it got so damn politically correct, and got banned a few times for calling one "stupid"...I gave up. And grew to too many newbs, dumb questions, but there are some damn good wizards over there..)..there was a post about a kit, that solved the "worn axle seal area".
    Have to see if I bookmarked it...if found..I'll post.
    Good info kids...and at pushing 60, mean it
    Jeezz, after all these years wrenching, I feel like the little ****s on "SouthPark"...the ending.."ya know, we learned something today"
    Again..thanks for the replies...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CR Seals make steel sleeves to repair worn spindles, or axles, harmonic ballancers etc. Had good luck with them, just got to measure spindle dia, width of seal surface.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CR Seals..(look into it later)

I can't find that link mentioned ..(yet..busy out in the shop)..for the worn axle seal kit..but I will later, and post. Easy ..(?) fix, worn spindles ..seal wise.
    Myself, own a lathe, welders, I do my own work. I just toss them up, cut down, re-weld, cut to size. Lotta work though. But thats my "passion"..anyway..always "fixin"..something!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    CR Seals..(look into it later)

I can't find that link mentioned ..(yet..busy out in the shop)..for the worn axle seal kit..but I will later, and post. Easy ..(?) fix, worn spindles ..seal wise.
    Myself, own a lathe, welders, I do my own work. I just toss them up, cut down, re-weld, cut to size. Lotta work though. But thats my "passion"..anyway..always "fixin"..something!
    If ya go the equiptment I'd prefer your way to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    If ya go the equiptment I'd prefer your way to.
    Yep, nothing that can't be improved on.....its mostly in the application, and just what needed..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I over lube mine but not to the point of blowing the seals out. I do not run dust covers my dog chews them off, I never dunk hot and before I leave the ramp I give em a pump of greese , you would be surprised how much water comes out even with seals that don't leak greese. To date I've never had a rusted or frozen bearing. I have broke axles on crappy roads though. I tow more than a block and don't get alot of grease slung everywhere. When they start slinging grease on my boat I replace the seals and bearings. The other bad thing about new bearings is 90% are made in china of unknown quality.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you unload when the hubs are hot as they cool when submerged the water has room to enter. Seems to suck the water in.I to try not to submerge when hubs are warm, some people don't have that luxury. Not sure if pumping the hubs up when warm would help? After I repack I try to run the trailer and warm things up, let it all cool down then pump up hubs. Try to do at least 2 times, get rid of any air pockets and have never had an issue, but salt water is hard on things no matter what a guy does.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prolinews View Post
    before I leave the ramp I give em a pump of greese , you would be surprised how much water comes out even with seals that don't leak greese.

Ya know, ya got a good point here! I only shoot a block down to the ramp the dump.., a pump BEFORE..but never done after! Guess I did a halfaszz job! Good info.
    As not road running trailers, just an in and out, then a sit. I don't care if I blow out the seal on a pump, and get backside grease..its pliable the seal anyway.., and any road work, with heat, will spit out the rest anyway.
    And as dealing with saltwater, the little slung grease..hull, will either come off, at speed, or give the Barnacles something to try and hang on too!

The other bad thing about new bearings is 90% are made in china of unknown quality.
    I buy bearings from a supply house here. Refuse anything China..Even Timken are made in Pakistan now though, but they still have some quality control.
    Good info!..the "do it twice"..

Hey Greg..(fast Edit here)..read next post..
    Last edited by Robby321; 09-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast