Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Newbie.....Oil presure sending unit????

hello I recently started redoing a 1971 Marlin Jet Boat. I currently have a Olds 350 Rocket engine in it. I am putting all new gauges and sending units in the boat. I know where the water temp unit is and I know where they had the mechanical oil pressure unit but when I installed the new electronic sending unit I found i had to put a 3 in extension and the instructions say they do NOT recommend doing this. Is this a good area for the unit or am I missing somewhere else where I could put this???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2205.JPG   DSCF2206.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBSPURGEON View Post
    hello I recently started redoing a 1971 Marlin Jet Boat. I currently have a Olds 350 Rocket engine in it. I am putting all new gauges and sending units in the boat. I know where the water temp unit is and I know where they had the mechanical oil pressure unit but when I installed the new electronic sending unit I found i had to put a 3 in extension and the instructions say they do NOT recommend doing this. Is this a good area for the unit or am I missing somewhere else where I could put this???
    That is almost exactly how I did mine on my Pontiac except I have a 90* fitting at the top so the sender will clear the distributor. Mine works just fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extension is no problem unless you use too much teflon tape, in that case you will have no ground and an inoperative gauge. We had a guy install one with 8" of plastic tubing from a direct reading mechanical gauge kit and he couldn't understand why he gauge didn't read..... 1TIMINATOR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy p.o.s. boat on a budget batman!

hey where can I get that sending unit? I bought a boat with a piece of crap motor from kingjames, and im replacing everything, including the motor. I have a punched out 350 olds as well, 10.5 :1 Comp. fat cam, reworked heads. and im curious about the cooling system hose routing. I bought a pressure bypass valve, and a put it out the transom, but im still worried about excess pressure...... Where can I find a diagram? And whats the best way to get Hardin aluminum wet logs to seal correctly?should I use a steel backing plate as a washer to distribute the load ? and is copper the right choice gasket? This jerk had solid silicone on the logs. ( which are at the machine shop right now.)running out of money and patience please help. Is there a friggen book on jet boats or what?

75 Tahiti 19ft
    Berkley jet, w place diverter
    350 olds
    hardin wet logs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey lilredrocket,i have an olds 455 with hardin logs and gaskets keep blowing out.my friend has same set up and took a long board and sanded the logs so there was no warpage,then installed with high temp silicone and hasn't leaked in 4 yrs.i am going to do the same to mine over the winter.just my .02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lILREDROCKET View Post
    hey where can I get that sending unit? I bought a boat with a piece of crap motor from kingjames, and im replacing everything, including the motor. I have a punched out 350 olds as well, 10.5 :1 Comp. fat cam, reworked heads. and im curious about the cooling system hose routing. I bought a pressure bypass valve, and a put it out the transom, but im still worried about excess pressure...... Where can I find a diagram? And whats the best way to get Hardin aluminum wet logs to seal correctly?should I use a steel backing plate as a washer to distribute the load ? and is copper the right choice gasket? This jerk had solid silicone on the logs. ( which are at the machine shop right now.)running out of money and patience please help. Is there a friggen book on jet boats or what?

75 Tahiti 19ft
    Berkley jet, w place diverter
    350 olds
    hardin wet logs
    You wil not have a pressure issue with logs. You do not need a bypass. See the attached image for the plumbing. Go from the pump to the bottom of the logs, out the top of the logs to the front of the block, out of the intake manifold to the snails.

Check this thread over at PB.
    http://www.performanceboats.com/html...741#post702741
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water path.jpg  
    Last edited by Last Mohican; 09-22-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X 2 no gasket on the manifolds

Have the manifolds surfaced, and use high temp silicone. Will last for years with out issue.
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC

UMPBA 926 Gas Jet

My Projects http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dir...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lILREDROCKET View Post