Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible new project

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, and a long time since I've owned a boat. (Two summers) I've never owned an outboard but I've been wanting to do something for a while. I'm looking at a 1972 Glastron GT160, and am wondering if the deal is good. I have to go look at it, but there are supposidly no cracks/holes in the hull (it floats haha) but the interior is mostly gone. It has a Merc 85 hangin' off the back with good compression, he just hasn't had it running, or it runs but needs a tune up. (I almost wonder if a sync would do it, or is it a single carb?). Anwho, from the looks of the photos the exterior is in good shape, windscreen doesn't appear to be cracked, and I think I can keep my money going to the interior/stereo and some trailer wheel bearings/tires.
    Now to the nitty gritty. He's asking $350.00 for the whole set up. What are these boats worth in your guys' opinions.

Thanks all

Dustin
    -Dustin
    17' Action Marine - Merc power

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics, I would love to see this boat.
    350.00 I would expect some issues but still a great deal in my opinion.
    David
    all about the go fast with no tickets

19 ft nordic pickle fork

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great price if you only have to throw in an interior, tune-up and a few goodies.

If there are other issues such as a soft transom or hull or maybe a bad motor, then be ready for the long-haul. People here buy Allisons and Hydrostreams in real bead shape, put thousands of dollars into them and end up with a really nice boat with the reality of it being worth only a fraction of the amount of time and money they have into it. My boat is a prime example... I have over $5,000 in just parts and materials not including my time putting it together and when I go to sell the boat, I won't break even by a longshot.

My advice is to have someone who knows boat go with you to look at it if your'e not in the business. Then sit down and figure how much it will take to get the boat to do what you want it to do and what it's worth to you.

Do take into consideration that that boat is a classic and in good shape is quite desirable.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured I'd be looking at the transom for issues (not something I'm keen on doing) but replacing soggy sub-flooring wouldn't bother me as long as the stringers are in good shape. I'll see if I can get the poor quality photos of it up fellas. Also, what can these transoms hold for a motor set up (how big safely for the hull in general)

Thanks again

Dustin
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarterHorse View Post
    Also, what can these transoms hold for a motor set up (how big safely for the hull in general)

Thanks again

Dustin
    In stock configuration in good shape, up to a V-4 Lemmonrude or a IL 135- 150 merc.

Built up with knee boards and done right....... the sky is the limit as long as it still floats.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha, thanks for the info fellas. I'm not lookin' to break speed records with this boat, just something to go have some fun with on some sort of a budget. Here are some poor quality pics.

-Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the current owner says that the transom on one side hasn't moved, and the other moved maybe 1/8th inch? I thought I new what to look for and feel on but I suppose I'm fairly green to this. What would you think if you heard this comment on work required?
    Rigging is all there, needs wired, interior is all there and the floors are part glass, part wood and all solid. Star cracks in the top in the gell coat, not sure how many or how bad yet. I think I'll head down here shortly, the transom thing worries me a little bit, but I'll do some tugging on it and see what I find.

Thoughts and opinions welcome,

Dustin
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the transom 'moves' at all it's toast, if it's gone, so are the stringers. Still worth the money if you want to rebuild it but it's not a boat right now, it's a project IMO. If the windshield is good, it's worth the $$$ by itself.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all I needed to hear, I'm not about to take on a project like that in my two car attatched garage since my shop out back hasn't even been started. If anybody is interested in the boat, it's in Central Iowa. I was half way expecting this, thus the question asking. I'm still somewhat bummed, but I'll have another boat in the near future hopefully.

Thanks again all, this forum rocks.

Dustin
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dustin, It's a shame but just about any boat of that vintage by now will need the wood replaced unless it has had very unusual care taken with it. I LOVE the yellow GT160 because my best friend since I was 4 yrs. old has had one since new (1972?) and still has it. It had a transom and stringers about 10 years ago and is one fine outboard ski mule with a 100-140 V4 Johnnyrude. His has had three since new and currently a 100 hp ficht.

I had a Glastron 14 ft. for 20+ yrs. and it needed a transom after about 10. That was nearly 20 years ago and I have seen it on the lake as recently as a year ago. They are great boats, I hope somebody saves this one.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind that almost any 70's vintage inline Merc is going to have MAJOR under cowl wiring deterioration. Supposedly Merc used a wiring vendor back then that supplied wire with insulation that would get brittle and fall of when used in that environment.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wire harnesses are still availible from merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wiring doesn't scare me at all, if anything I'd just build a new harness. Again, I appreciate all the help fellas. I a friend of mine has a 73 Glastron Carlson 16 foot that is an awesome little boat. Not sure if it had a transom put in or when, but it's a clean little boat and a ton of fun with a 115 hangin' off the back.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, perhaps I'll end up with one to do over this winter to have ready for next summer, who knows.
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so the boat is for sale again by a new owner (for more money of course lol). I have a friend that just did a transom in a Forester, and I watched how he did it. It looks like cake to do, and I can imagine stringers won't be too bad from reading how it should be done.

I'm thinking I'm going to make an offer on the boat in a week or so. (Way less than he's asking and around or less than what he paid) If accepted I should be getting the top half of the boat off, transom/stringers/knee boards installed before XMas. After XMas expenses I should be able to re-do the interior and test the motor to make sure it runs.

Again, forgive the total noob question, but he says it's not rigged and can't test the motor that's supposidly good. How do I go about getting the motor to turn over etc? I still have the muffs from my last boat, but I've never had the hood off of an outboard, I assume I should be able to get fuel to the carbs and get this thing started manually?
    -Dustin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres one running and the guy selling it is a dealer so he will come down a lot to give you an idea of value. http://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/1457711278.html
    Variety of stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast