Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bass Boat with long shaft motor?

Hi folks, I need help determining if I have a long shaft motor on a short transom boat and what I can do about it if this is the case. I purchased this boat about 2 months ago and other than having to replace the trim motor everything seems to work great, however people started telling me the the boat should run faster than what it does. I have an 1982 chanpion 18'6 FS that has a 1989 Force 150 motor. After looking around nobody in the world has a Force on the back of their bass boats and they appear to be only on the deep v type pleasure boats. Anyway top speed was about 42 mph so I started playing with this thing and it has a hydrofoil on it so I removed it boom I jumped up to 47 mph but my boss at work says that it still should run close to 60 with the 150 on it. So after looking around several different forums it appears that I might be dealing with a long shaft motor on a short transom boat especially since removing the hydrafoil I jumped up 5 mph which makes me think that while running at WOT that this thing was still completely submerged. Another indicator is that to get maximum speed I have to run with the trim all the way up and when I stop I get a good amount of water that comes over the back of the boat I seen that in another post somewhere. If this is the case would putting a jackplate on to lift the motor to where the prop is supposed to run be something to look at? My concern is ofcourse with a long shaft motor will this be too much torq on the transom or be less torq on it due to lifting the prop up. The boat is rated for a 175 hp which may be enough rating to lift this 150 5 to 6 inches and still be okay. I'm new to this and seems like I can't learn fast enough any help would be appriciated. I'll try to attach some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about just in case I'm barking up the wrong tree.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0968.JPG   DSCF0969.JPG   DSCF0972.JPG  
    Last edited by tplumlee; 08-20-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: adding picture

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    added picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bass boat1.jpg   DSCF0968.JPG   DSCF0969.JPG   DSCF0972.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a force,thats all should have to be said may say 150 but if its got a hundred I"d be really surprised,I ended up in a trade one time with a 125 force on a bass boat in mint condition and a fairly good 70 hp rude could out run me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tplumlee,

I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree here on this forum. You will probably get better answers to your questions on Bass Boat Central. From what I can tell, you have a 20" motor and that Champion probably needs a 6" jackplate. I can NOT tell you which prop or jackplate height to run though. The experts there will point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Rusty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ671 View Post
    tplumlee,

You will probably get better answers to your questions on Bass Boat Central.

Rusty
    Thanks Rusty,
    I've posted this on BBC and iboats forums also trying to get as much input and draw on as much knowledge that I can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rude power View Post
    its a force,thats all should have to be said may say 150 but if its got a hundred I"d be really surprised,I ended up in a trade one time with a 125 force on a bass boat in mint condition and a fairly good 70 hp rude could out run me.
    Yeah, I'm not too sure about these or any outboard motors still kinda new to the game but I did check the compression when I brought it home and all 5 cyl were between 150 and 152 lbs of compression. The motor runs out great. I wonder if Force uses lower gearing? I also noticed that there are no other Champion or any other well known bass boats boasting a Force outboard, the only manufacturer that I commonly see with these is Bayliner. That does tell me something....however I am lucky to at least have what I have and need to make the best of it, damned thing almost got me divorced when I drug it home. LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rude power View Post
    Yeah, I'm not too sure about these or any outboard motors still kinda new to the game but I did check the compression when I brought it home and all 5 cyl were between 150 and 152 lbs of compression. The motor runs out great. I wonder if Force uses lower gearing? I also noticed that there are no other Champion or any other well known bass boats boasting a Force outboard, the only manufacturer that I commonly see with these is Bayliner. That does tell me something....however I am lucky to at least have what I have and need to make the best of it, damned thing almost got me divorced when I drug it home. LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know mine made it best horse power around 4800 to 5200 rpms ,they are a low rpm motor.
    Last edited by rude power; 08-21-2009 at 09:54 AM.