Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-tec drag racing

What a good story about a good day with an e-tec on the run.

the consistent times show a huge concentration level, to make each run exactly the same.

you WERE dialed in,for sure.
    once you were up on the rev limiter, at top end did you feather back the throttle to the beginning of the.limiter at 5850, or did you stay on it and let it drop at 6050??

I find myself trying to hold at the 5850 rpm to just stay out of the limiter.

I have been running my old drag prop, a 27 sst rx that was worked by a guy named aiysen.....many years ago.
    I have a new 29 rx, but with no nose cone I dont want to blow out.

I should run tonight or thurs night with a gps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OLDRACEPARTS 015.jpg  
    LET's RIDE !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stayed on it and the tach was reading just over 6,000. It did drive the boat over on the left side a little when it hit the limiter and it felt like it picked up speed when I let off and got off the limiter. I took my time slowing down. We had plenty of room past the end of the course and I used a lot of it. Going from the limiter to off the limiter is interesting at times when the boat is that loose.

The 28 ET Cut Chopper that I ran would hit the limiter at about 3/4 track or so. Definitely felt it for the last few seconds of each run.

My dad ran this boat last year in the quarter with a 27" SRX and it ran 13.75 at 77MPH pretty consistently. It'll be a good prop but you'll be on the limiter for sure. I'm not running a nosecone either. I think you'd be OK with the 29 to be honest. You should be good to the mid 80s with that gearcase I'd think.

I'm putting a noseconed gearcase on it for New Athens. We'll see what that does. I may try my 30" Cleaver and see if I can pull 85 in the quarter!

That boat is awesome looking. Have fun with it!
    Last edited by Sam Baker; 08-25-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

going draggin'

Hey thanks for writing back....just like you I find the boat unsettles a little bit when on the rev limiter, so i try to keep at 5900, and still have 2 inches of throttle left,so it really flattens out once i'm w.o.t.. once I run with the handheld gps....i have the river racer allison, with the back seat....I want to get a good reading at 5850, and then see if there really is is more speed when its fully on the limiter.

my boats way heavier than yours, but yes it is very loose up top.

I'm going to bring my digital camera and put cotton over the sound michrophone in the camera........the sound of the e-tec winding up is some sweet music.
    LET's RIDE !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty kewl...............

u can go out there and do this with a $10,000 production motor.........racing is not dead yet

WET PICKLE RACING

The "UNracerxOFFICIAL"
    Home of the fastest Emission Outboard
    Motors on the planet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-tec drags

Well I ran the river racer today with a gps, and I am only telling the truth...77.8 mph, was the best i saw with 20 gallons of gas and a guy in the back seat holding the gps.....Its on the rev limiter so bad I can back off a couple inches and see 77.s at 5750 just under the first bump of the rev limiter....i ran several stretches over a mile long to study the speed at 6050 and it was 77.5, but the revlimiter seems to hit hard 3 times for a few seconds and then a few seconds with no rev limit...so every time it bangs out the boat twitches and you have to counter steer the allison .

after studying this thread and seeing old yeller get 82 on the stock gearcase i'm going to try the 29 sst rx ..probably monday to see if I can get a few more mph.

now I know a good bass boat might run 80, this is a 158 cu small block. and if get 82 or so with a stock gearcase i'll let you know
    LET's RIDE !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad saw 83 with a 30" cleaver on GPS at race weight (1600 pounds) so it can be done....

Get rid of the guy holding the GPS and just hold it yourself, throw the 29 on there and let 'er eat! I predict you'll see 80+.
    Sam Baker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some good reading Sam. Your Father ran a 30" prop on a 150 hp outboard, unreal. I've always been an Evinrude fan, but hated what happened to them when they built that ficht piece of junk. Seemed like the only good motors were the old loopers. When I brought my used merc home and popped the top off it I was bummed, more green wire than I've ever seen in one place. I knew right then I should have stayed with a rude.

Post up more vids of that little V6 beating up on those big car engines. Very cool.

Silhouette II Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82.6@5980

I ran the 29 rx and had a s&f guy ride in the back seat to hold the gps
    now if I had a 30" I could maybe find another couple,, since i'm still on the e-tec rev limiter at 6050.......
    ,andthe word blow out keeps coming to mind since I have a stock gearcase.
    is a couple miles an hour worth the chance of riding out a blow out at ??85 mph.
    we run in water management canals abot 250 feet wide at most

for reasons unknown I would like to see what mph the stock gearcase can cut thru the water...
    stock whats the ###.

and I can just back off a touch and be in the low 80's - stock
    LET's RIDE !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to my Dad last night and he said that he did run 84 on a Livorsi GPS speedo with the 30 cleaver. The motor was 1.75" below the pad.

I just put the low water pickup gearcase on it and am looking forward to running it with that.
    Sam Baker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the limiters on these things is that they are in stages. At 5850 it will start to dump in extra oil....over 6000 it will start to dump in extra fuel...at 6150 it starts cutting cylinders. It will also vary these a bit depending on how fast you are coming up on each stage...ie, if you are drag racing and it sees you screaming up on 6000, it may dump oil and fuel at the same time, or start cutting cylinders a bit early to keep your rpms down. With a big wheel, you'll see it will give you some leeway before it starts doing these things. With my big block, a 23 held to the floor will yield it actually cutting cylinders as it passes 6000....With my 28 that takes miles to get up to speed, it will let it creep all the way to 6150 before it starts cutting anything....

If you can find something to keep it below 5850 you will see a marked improvement in oil economy as well...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rpm limiter

Awesome...you explained exactly what I saw when I ran the 29 rx..
    i can now relate to the engine emm seeing how fast the revs are climbing and then at 6050 i get what feels like about 3 misfires and it throws the steering set off enough to cause me to bobble.
    so on a couple of the mile runs, I would creep up on the last 500 rpm or so so I could.lightly tread into the limiter and it seemed like I could hold at 5980, and found my best speed there at 82.6

so for my boat Ive got all I can use without another prop, and then blowout must be close.

awesom bullet.....we sold bullets for 3 years and back in ? 98 we sa3 82, and I swear I got blowout a couple times...as i remember I would find my self cranking the wheel to the right a lot more than usual, and that kinda' warned we.

your rev limiter explination is just what i saw........
    LET's RIDE !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Joelsob I was told by a Good Source that BRP was and is working on upping the power in your motor, my boss drove it this summer and I guess its the real deal..as you know the 200 2.6 is supposedly 188-192hp or so,and they want it to be a viable option for people wanting a light weight alternative to medium powered 4 strokes,without giving up the top end, im sure yours runs just fine cause of the hulls weight,compared to a production deep v or toon....have you researched the upgrade to the Lightning case? What about a Titus nose cone or bobs? I was always told the Magnum case was too fat for performance applications, but obviously not.....I told my buddy at BRP to make sure the new 200 is also dressed in a 175HO with the Lightning 2 case and the GOOD GEARS....Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

small block e-tec

bworner,you know I'm 61 now, and 10 years ago my river racer did good at the drags with a good looper v-6. 8200 with a 27 at 1000 feet out
    so at pure stock 82.6 is ok...I'll follow you guys around someday.and for me I always found speed from rpm.
    but take that yellow drag boat with a 150...ok mines a 200...
    .wheres the hp ------- light fast rpm and you gotta' grin!

i'm set for now! 82ldo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double your pleasure

Wanna borrow this bad boy?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast