Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda or no Honda?

Hey everyone

Hey all, I’m Laurence, I’m new to this forum and need some good advice about a motor that every body thinks is supposedly the best. The motor that I’m talking about is yes of course, the Honda! The reason for this question is I’m a dealer in South Africa and I have been given the option between Mercury, Evinrude, Honda and Yamaha. I choose the Honda because it’s been the longest running four stroke outboard motor in the world, I’m looking for a motor that will give my customers the satisfaction of being able to ride in comfort, and have the reliability of an old army gun. Which is why I oppose the question to you all, am I making the right decision of choosing a Honda? Please don’t hesitate, TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!

Thanks all

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate them! I really think they are the worst of all the new engines. They have given me and my friends the most problems. The suzuki's have been great though. Sorry to burst your bubble but you asked for the truth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, he hates Honda's, if that specific engine was any one of the others named then he would hate that one also. As we all know anything mechanical can have problems but making a blatant statement as he did is basically without merit.

There's probably a million Honda outboards out there running just fine as are Merc's, Etec's, Zukes and Yamaha's. Your choice of being a Honda dealer is totally dependent on what your customers are looking for. If they are high perf. folks then your choice is wrong. I run a Merc 175 Pro Xs and couldn't be any happier...to each his own.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the new four stroke outboards the big honda's are the least advanced. Suzuki, Yamaha and merc all have purpose built 4 stroke outboards. Honda is a car engine standing on end. Yamaha is supposed to be the old taurus SHO motor but still more advanced than the honda. Merc is tough to beat Suzuki would be second and i hated suzuki 2 strokes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyncwby View Post
    Ok, he hates Honda's, if that specific engine was any one of the others named then he would hate that one also. As we all know anything mechanical can have problems but making a blatant statement as he did is basically without merit.

There's probably a million Honda outboards out there running just fine as are Merc's, Etec's, Zukes and Yamaha's. Your choice of being a Honda dealer is totally dependent on what your customers are looking for. If they are high perf. folks then your choice is wrong. I run a Merc 175 Pro Xs and couldn't be any happier...to each his own.
    Based on my personal experience with 4 different Honda engines (150+ hp). Yes, I would say I'd rather have a Yammie, Verado or Suzuki before I would ever get a Honda outboard again. I have had too many problems with them. BTW I now run an etec and love it. CY do you know me or did I ask you to speak on my behalf? NO! He asked for opinions and I stated mines. HONDA OUTBOARDS SUCK! Oh yeah and your 175 pro xs is a beast

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMERC View Post
    Of the new four stroke outboards the big honda's are the least advanced. Suzuki, Yamaha and merc all have purpose built 4 stroke outboards. Honda is a car engine standing on end. Yamaha is supposed to be the old taurus SHO motor but still more advanced than the honda. Merc is tough to beat Suzuki would be second and i hated suzuki 2 strokes.
    This is exactly how I feel. I thought that the Honda name like in cars and generators would translate into a great outboard. NOT! What I got was 4 "lemons".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Honda products. I own a Honda lawn mower, and a Honda CRV.

But, one of my customers HAD a Honda 225 on his SCB Stingray, his experience with their outboards...click the link below.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=200125
    Last edited by scb; 08-09-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly every Honda outboard is a marinized small power equipment or car motor. If all of your customers are well off and will trade motors every two years they may be happy. But keeping one for the long haul, especially in salt water, no thanks. Seen too many of them go like alka seltzers in salt water.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stay away from the Honda, I am certified Honda tec. Most of the power heads on the V6 fail about 300 hours. Due to oil pressure problems. If you have any oil pressure alert codes stored in the ecu chances are the crank shaft is eating down in the block. The 150 will also do this, I have seen it so bad that the pulley eats into the crank sensor. I would go with a Yamaha or Mercury. I am certified tec in both of these too. The best all around outboard would be 150 merc 2.0 leter.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    I like Honda products. I own a Honda lawn mower, and a Honda CRV.

But, one of my customers HAD a Honda 225 on his SCB Stingray, his experience with their outboards...click the link below.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=200125
    I have a Honda pressure washer and two rancher 4 wheelers, nobody beats honda 4 wheelers. Buy Yamaha for OB..........no disapointments. I like Honda but the OB engines are outdated. Honda for land....Yammy for water
    LASER LTV, Mercury Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 800 hours on a pair of 2003 Yamaha F225's, on a 8000 lb CC and 4 blade revolution props. Absolutely zero problems. Routine PM with Mobil 1 synthetic every 100 hours. My neighbor 700 hours on his, also zero problems. Yamaha is a great motor. My florida boat has a 250 e-tec, flawless with 250 hours. Hope this helps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little Honda in my avatar spent it's first several years on the back of that Alumacraft, and the last 3 years pushing my 24' long pontoon boat. NO problems EVER. On my second set of spark plugs, and still has the original water pump. Perfect, always. I change the oil once a year, Mobil 1 10W-30. So my experience with a 10 year old Honda, I'd buy it again. Can't beat this 15 hp motor!
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL
    Checkmate boats message forum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming you're talking about being offered a franchise and you chose the Honda? They are a great running motor - Honda stuff is very well built - but a friend of mine who has worked on them says they are HANDS DOWN the worst motor in the world to work on. You have to disassemble a lot of the motor to do simple stuff.

You have to look at your market and decide what your customers want. I'm biased, but I think the Evinrude is the best option in the "clean" engine market because it's simple, lightweight, clean, and reliable. The Suzukis are awesome from a power to weight ratio.
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't stand them. I own a number of Honda products but their outboards suck. Over priced parts, defective parts from new, ie one customers I4 had a recall on the impeller, cylinder head, engine block and main power relay.
    Difficult to work on because of the number of unrelated components that need removing.
    A cobbled together engine IMO.
    Yamaha, although a good engine, their parts are very expensive, $2400 for a cylinder head assy?????
    I think I'll stop there.
    I would probably choose Yamaha for a dealership if I only had one to chose. They will probably be #1 within 3-5 years here in the US. Good range of products, good quality. Big problem is every dealer on every corner carries them.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never consider a Japanese outboard for any reason.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast