Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Service manager info..

I am currently perusing the position of service manager for a Bass Pro shop Tracker Marine location. I am coming from a Automotive service background with a ton of marine experience. I have part of an idea what I am getting into, but would like to know from current marine professionals.

1. Is this a high turnover position?
    2. What would be the average salary range
    3. is there any specific industry specific things to ask or watch out for?

I'm having an interview soon and would like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the turnover rate has more to do with the employer than the industry. The last dealer I worked for went through two managers in three years but the place I'm at now has had the same one for a while.

I have no idea what the salary would be but techs in Mn don't make as much as auto techs.
    I think the best attributes would be being able to handle upset customers and a well written work order. We are having issues with one of our parts guys that doesn't ask any questions just wrights what the customer says. I had one today that said motor makes noise sometimes but then it goes away, it didn't make any noises in the tank or on the lake but I had no idea what I was looking for, wasted 2 hours on it.

I'm a tech at a bigger dealer in MN, I hope that helps
    Chet Olson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any info is good info. I'm a ASE master tech, and have written service and managed shops for 14+ years. I understand the operation of the business and the need for quality information. R/O's with the customer complaint of "dash is broken sometimes" just does not cut it

I figured the industries are very similar, but the marine is a "want" based, rather than a "need" based. I have worked for dealers that the service manager is a revolving door with a new face every 3 months and some that have been there since it's creation.

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The high turn over rate has to do with service managers who don't want to get their hands dirty. Many people think that a manager never has to do any work. Those are usually the ones who move a lot. Best things a marine service manager can do is keep open lines of communication with the customers, don't make promises you can't keep (price and time) and let the guys in the shop know that you are one of them. One more thing.... if that shop has techs that are lousy and not up to par you or the owner need to get them out the door because that will all come back on you.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    The high turn over rate has to do with service managers who don't want to get their hands dirty. Many people think that a manager never has to do any work. Those are usually the ones who move a lot. Best things a marine service manager can do is keep open lines of communication with the customers, don't make promises you can't keep (price and time) and let the guys in the shop know that you are one of them. One more thing.... if that shop has techs that are lousy and not up to par you or the owner need to get them out the door because that will all come back on you.
    Thanks for the insight. We had an interview yesterday. From what I gathered, they want the best, but don't want to pay for it as they were edging that subject.

You basically described my management style, and some just don't want to be part of a team.

Thanks!