Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SippyRat View Post
    This is a huge purchase for me and it's a 23 hour drive to NY for me so PLEASE POST OR EMAIL ME ALL PICS OF ALL PROGRESSIONS YOU HAVE! To jdsmac@me.com

Thanks everyone
    Just an idea, you are going to spend a rather large amount of money on a boat. Grab a plane and fly into NY and do a factory visit for a day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fast fun 2 View Post
    And the 24 is a fast mofo
    Awww, now I'm blushing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stvhelm View Post
    I dont know if this helps but I had a few run ins in the past with a yellow and white progression with a single IO from bergen point in babylon. I think its a 27' but could be a 29', not sure. Anyway, I've gps'd this guy at 100mph more than once. someone later said to me it can go 105. I dont know what he had for power but I didnt expect it thats for sure. good thing we were in the flats.
    that's temores 29..it had about 900hp under the hatch. i think he has small power in it now. but it did run 105

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
    I find that hard to believe that it just Delaminated , Progression boats are very strong, I mean really strong , Perhaps they hit something submergered, like a log or pillon, just under the surface?
    Race boats go through another level of stress that pleasure boats cant compare to..if u race consistently, ull need a new boat ever couple seasons..that boat prob had the crap kicked out of it tho
    Last edited by Ghost S84; 08-05-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    1986 23' Ghost- RIP
    1986 28' Ghost- SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 24 LD with a 300 XS. Any information or advice you could give me will be greatly appreciated. Prop? set up? Handling? Motor issues?
    I'm a total newbe to this motor and boat.
    Thanks
    Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome to the Progression club! You've purchased a great boat and motor and it should give you many, many years of faithful service. A vacuum bagged (not all of them were) 24LD with a healthy 300 XS should be about a 74 MPH (on GPS) boat. I think you'll find that getting that kind of speed out of it - unless you've driven a pad bottom hull before - will be somewhat elusive. Before you go for it, let's talk about some preparation.

The first thing you want to do it "nut and bolt" the whole boat - particularly the motor mounts and steering - to make sure everything is properly torqued and has no play or wear in it. And speaking of steering, you should have full hydraulic steering with that kind of power. If you don't feel comfortable doing this your self, hire a mechanic you can trust to do it for you.

After you're sure the boat is ready, make sure you're ready. Sit in the boat either on dry land or in the water at the dock. Familiarize yourself with the operation of all controls - particularly steering, throttle, tabs and trim. (And jack plate if it has a powered one.) When you get the boat up anywhere near top speed, things happen in a hurry and simply dumping the throttle when things get uncomfortable is usually the wrong thing to do. So knowing what control has what effect and which way you move it to get that effect needs to become "muscle memory."

Finally, when you're ready to actually launch and drive the boat, start out slowly and only work yourself up to speed as you feel comfortable. Having somebody who's driven a boat like yours out with you for the first few trips can be invaluable. Try different speed, trim, trim tab and jack plate height settings to see both how they work and what effect they have on the handling of the boat. Almost as important as what settings have desirable effects on the boat is learning what settings the boat doesn't like.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that you'll be able to get the boat comfortably up to the mid to upper 60's relatively easily. It's the last few MPH that require a steady hand and lots of experience. Don't get greedy here. I always say that my grandmother could drive my 22 Progression up to about 60-65 MPH. Getting it to its top speed of 77 MPH takes brass balls though. I also say that my P22 is "like driving a Formula One car on the street." It's not for everyone, but once you learn how to make her dance, there's absolutely nothing like it!

Have fun and be safe!

Tom
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

7. Thanks ecamiel@snet.net thanked for this post
    Likes JBS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, All very good advice.
    I’ve raced cars and motorcycles. The approach seems to be the same.
    During the sea trial we saw 72 to 73 With 2 people and half a tank of fuel, light chop.
    I drove the boat comfortably to the low 60s but felt I had my hands full beyond that. I happily backed off.
    The previous owner Who is an ex boat racer and Kevin from progression have both offered to give me lessons. I will definitely take them up on that
    If dumping the throttle is not the thing to do, do you just back off slowly when things get scary?
    Thanks Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecamiel@snet.net View Post
    Thanks, All very good advice.
    I’ve raced cars and motorcycles. The approach seems to be the same.
    During the sea trial we saw 72 to 73 With 2 people and half a tank of fuel, light chop.
    I drove the boat comfortably to the low 60s but felt I had my hands full beyond that. I happily backed off.
    The previous owner Who is an ex boat racer and Kevin from progression have both offered to give me lessons. I will definitely take them up on that
    If dumping the throttle is not the thing to do, do you just back off slowly when things get scary?
    Thanks Eric
    Most high performance boats don't like it when you abruptly chop the throttle(s) - particularly if you're trimmed up. When I get into trouble on mine, I've found that trimming down immediately (I have an In Control Foot Trim pedal) combined with backing off gently on the throttle is a far better way to go. I know some Progression 22's will take a pretty sharp turn if you chop the throttle.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progressions tend to be flighty in the bow. Before you learn the handling characteristics be very careful.
    Last edited by Duro78; 03-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.

11. Likes moatorbotin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duro78 View Post
    Progressions tend to be flighty in the bow. Before you learn the the handling characteristics be very careful.
    this is true, first month I had my 22 I shot the bow straight up and did a 180 in the air. I didn't realize how light the boat really was until I was in mid air thinking to myself " Im a large kite at this moment" not fun that's for sure.

I learned with that boat neutral trim was key to success with a 22 progression

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marks86 View Post
    this is true, first month I had my 22 I shot the bow straight up and did a 180 in the air. I didn't realize how light the boat really was until I was in mid air thinking to myself " Im a large kite at this moment" not fun that's for sure.

Same thing happened to me plenty of times. I must say it's the one flaw I see with these hulls. It wasn't til I sat passenger while an experienced driver took the wheel I truly saw and learned what these hulls are capable of. Blipping the throttle before hitting a wake or an unfamiliar wave does wonders. Getting the proper attitude right before entry goes a far way. I'll say one thing taking these hulls to the limit will definitely get your adrenaline flowing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the light bow as much of an issue with the 24 as with the 22?
    what kind of speeds and conditions caused the boat to get air born and do a 180? Was that a barrel roll or a back flip?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marks86 View Post

Trim tabs make all the difference in the world here. (Along with an experienced driver.) Mine got really light in the bow once before I added 12"x12" tabs back in 1996. I haven't had a problem since. Like any true high performance boat, you need an experienced driver to get the most out of it. That said, I'm reminded of the wise old saying: "Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from messing up."
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecamiel@snet.net View Post
    Is the light bow as much of an issue with the 24 as with the 22?
    what kind of speeds and conditions caused the boat to get air born and do a 180? Was that a barrel roll or a back flip?
    The 24 is a heavier boat than the 22, but the overall balance is similar. Relatively speaking though, the 24 is harder to stand on its transom. You can stand a 22 up at about 55 MPH in a stiff head wind. With the 24 in the same conditions, I'd say you'd have to be going at least 65-70 MPH.
    1992 Progression 22
    Mercury Racing 250R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 380 k planes on mine, I remember talking to Kevin about the boat and I’ll never forget what he said to me. Learn how to drive the boat with the tabs down. Makes sense

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast