Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its to bad some prop company couldn't duplicate mercury's pro et prop,that was the best all around top speed prop I ever had.Thy just didnt hold up,kept throwing blades even though they warranted them. My p22 ran best with a merc lab finish pro et.and I know other boats that ran great with that pro and as well.
    27 Progression IO 22 Progression 300xs sold http://youtu.be/_K8boEfKrx4

2. Thanks Aiden1734 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Companies have tried but they just didnt run as good
    27 Progression IO 22 Progression 300xs sold http://youtu.be/_K8boEfKrx4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duro78 View Post
    I've tried the tropy and the bravo. The promax is the best all around prop imo. It jumps on plane, mid-range is awesome and is comparable to a pro-et on the top end. It also has the right amount of bow and Stern lift. Honestly it was the first prop I ever tried that I was completely happy with. Could justbe me but after my experience I'll always star with a promax first. Can't go wrong with a bravo either
    How did the ProMax carry the bow in comparison to the Bravo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spdrcr29 View Post
    How did the ProMax carry the bow in comparison to the Bravo?
    Imo the bravo carries the bow more and the promax is more balanced overall. No complaints with the bravo just wish I knew they were a pitch and half lower than they actually are before I bought it. My 32 ended up being more like a 30.5

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting info. If I recall the Bravo is 15 1/4" diameter and the Promax is 14 1/2".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecamiel@snet.net View Post
    It is the ex Black Duck boat and will be back in Westport, Ct. and Candlewood lake this summer. She has the full cabin, deck hatch, fold down windscreens, hydraulic external single ram steering, foot throttle and foot trim.
    The setback is factory stock approximately 20 inches on an aluminum swim platform/motor mount. The prop is a Trophy Plus - 26

I am not totally inexperienced. I have been a sailor for many many years, a car and motorcycle racer and I did own a Formula 242 with a 502. That was a smooth, rock steady 60 mph boat and relatively fool proof, at least to this fool. I bought this boat because the Formula was so good it became boring.

I am sufficiently intimidated both by my sea trial and by all these comments, to be very cautious. I'll be happy to go out with any experienced driver who would like to share his knowledge with me.

One concern is that on Long Island Sound there are frequently large wakes from large boats and ships that have passed un-noticed miles away. They can run several feet and interrupt a relatively calm sea and from a totally different angle. They are hard to spot and really unsettle a boat when you hit one at any speed. Hitting one at 80 MPH in a light boat won't be fun.
    Don't be intimidated, be smart. You'll be fine. You WILL have to learn to drive the boat, but once you do it will stay on rails just fine.

As for the large unforeseen wakes, you'll want to be cautious, but as was mentioned as soon as things start to get a little unsettled just get your foot on the trim and start letting off the gas and as long as you didn't get in WAY over your head you'll be ok. The foot trim is a great feature. What this hull can run through at speed is truly impressive once you get some seat time and you are comfortable with it.

8. Thanks ecamiel@snet.net thanked for this post
    Likes TooStroked liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice
    Just re-torqued motor to setback and setback mount to hull. Most bolts took 2 or 3 flats, some took a full turn. Tomorrow I'll check the hydraulic steering nuts and bolts. There is an inch or so of play at the wheel rim but no visible play anywhere in the mechanical parts of the linkage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now I have some seat time. It compares to a fine pure bred car like a Lotus of a Maclaren; light, fast, responsive, tight, rigid. It does what you tell it to. The ride is smooth, at least in the conditions I"ve run in. Definitely still learning and trying to take it easy. Speed is tempting. I've gone too fast for my experience level twice now and had to back off . I will try to be more conservative. Low 60's is still the edge of my comfort zone. Totally happy and relaxed at 50.
    I replaced the prop vents with solid ones and now she jumps up on a plane with fantastic acceleration and no cavitation.
    Here's a video of a pass first lifting out over a wake and then again over a wave. Smooth and level.

Eric

Progression 24 LD
    Merc 300 XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great run to get to know it in a variety of waters is down to the Statue of Liberty and back. You can gas up right down there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Unfortunately, none of the gas docks around me (Westport, Ct.) carry the 300xs required hi test anymore. Bummer. I haul to a gas station ashore. I need to research octane boosters.
    It's a pretty run. I've done it on big boats.

For now, I'll stick closer to home until I know the boat and trust the motor more. I still have to learn how to drive the boat in the chop that comes up in the after noon South Wester.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, none of the gas docks around me (Westport, Ct.) carry the 300xs required hi test anymore. Bummer. I haul to a gas station ashore. I need to research octane boosters.

For now, I'll stick closer to home until I know the boat and trust the motor more. I still have to learn how to drive the boat in the chop that comes up in the after noon South Wester.
    Dont use octane boosters with a lower test thinking your running the required octane. If your ever in a jam you can run the motor at a lower rpm without causing detonation. Find out what rpm it is for your particular motor. Pick up a service manual also they have an overwhelming amount of info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.wallaceracing.com/octane-mix-calc.php

I use this guy here, my local gas station and many on the water sell rec 90 (89 octane no ethanol) near by, I just get some Turbo blue and add the appropriate amount based on the calculator to get the octane I want. I trust that more than an octane booster.

15. Thanks ecamiel@snet.net thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I just bought a 275 Verado for my 24 Hi Deck Progression. What size prop should I try? Thanks Steve!!

17. Likes Frank Molé liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Trophy Plus 26p from my 24 LD with a 300. It was a great prop and what Progression recommended. I'm selling it only because I'm selling the boat without the motor (see" hulls for sale") It should work with your 275
    Contact me off line
    Eric

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5