Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cadillac Northstar

Hi i am all ways looking for some thing new so I see that they make all sorts of cool stuff for a Cadillac Northstar engine and it is a light engine all aluminum. Now all i need is $$$ I can get the engine cheap enough about $175 from the you pull & pay yard
    http://www.chrfab.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-497E.jpg   mvc-863e.jpg  
    Last edited by 455maveric; 07-13-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depending what you need, mastercraft ski boats installed the northstar in some of their ski boats. this may be a source for some of the marine exhaust, etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's good to know but for right now the 455 olds will be there but sure love the look of the Northstar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think i will go take a look through the salvage yard befor work today

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i think that I would take a set of Big block headers and just reflang them i know i would need like a C impeller due to it makes its power at higher Rpm's. I just wrote to CHRFAB to find out what one with there single four barell setup with headers would make for power and at what rpm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a set of 455 olds logs, and a stainless pair for 454, nice
    E mail me I'll send pics fuelblendr@aol.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought i would post the email that Alan sent me from this site http://www.chrfab.com/ when i asked how much power it would make stock with there 4 barrell intake and open headers
    Hi mark,

There is a guy in New Zealand that did that very thing! The engine you describe will be approximately 390 hp and run all day at 6000 rpm. Put cams, springs and retainers in and it will turn 8200 rpm. I don’t think I would run it for very long up there with stock rods, pistons and crank, but short bursts would be ok.

Alan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I am talking to guys on the Fiero fourm do to they put this engine in that car and use stock ECU there telling me a GM 7730 ecu is the way to go found in junk yards cheap

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep up the ideas man! It's guys like you that think outside the box and come up with a better/cheaper way to go.

Please keep posting updates on this. Don't let anyone poop on your dream either.
    74' Apollo Starfire 18'
    429 BBF mid-engine
    Berkeley 12J, PD and NO intake fins

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank's for the encouraging words . I like big blocks but there in every boat and i think this might go faster Horse power for Horse power and this is why if you have a 400 Hp big block and the boat runs 60 mph then you put like this engine in with 400 Hp with the impella change so it will turn the rpm where the power is it will run say 65 mph due to it is 300 pounds lighter. I proved this to my self back in the early 90's when i had a Elimanator Daytona with a 377 Blown small block that turned 6200 rpm and went 85 MPH on the speedo no gps those days then put in a 454 dynoed 625 HP big block turned 6200 and went 81 MPH on the speedo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am realy looking at this Northstar after hearing Boatermike has blown up another Olds 455 and thats what was or is going in it not sounding to reliable of a engine for hard long runs like I know i will do I am kinda a hammer down guy

River Park psl,florida "winter" lake st clair,anchor bay,"summer"
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive worked on plenty of northstars,fact is the area in the main gallery where the headbolts thread into is commonly destoyed.id be very leary of a salvage yard engine for such a low price.there is a special tool and procedure for installing steel inserts into the aluminum block,but from what ive seen it isnt foolproof.what i mean is ive seen plenty of threaded inserts pull right out of the block.im not saying you shouldnt play with one or that they cant be used.what im saying is big block chevrolet parts are easily located and a proven design,versus a big gamble on an engine that most engine builders consider expendible.
    1986 HYDROSTREAM V-KING YT"bruiser" 2.5 260 OFFSHORE--- 1987 HYDROSTREAM VALERO YT for sale?---1978 HYDROSTREAM VULTURE,200 mercury"yard ornament" ETERNAL MEMBER OF THE CULT OF HYDROSTREAM love is grand....,divorce is twenty grand

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big blocks are cool or even a nice 406 SBC but I want to try some thing that most wont I have found one place that sells studs there over sized on the block side drill and tap the block screw in the studs and dont touch em just nut and washers after. I had my owen auto motive machine shop so this is like a fun thing for me not somthing i will cry over if it dosnt work out
    http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php
    Last edited by 455maveric; 07-20-2009 at 02:08 AM.

River Park psl,florida "winter" lake st clair,anchor bay,"summer"
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its your money.i was only trying to touch on the probability that youll need to go through a thorough core inspection to find a block suitable for such modification.plenty of the production blocks suffered from porosity and core shift.what im trying to say is that sometimes when you tear one of these down,you find out the block is no longer square.maybe youll get lucky and score a good one for $175
    1986 HYDROSTREAM V-KING YT"bruiser" 2.5 260 OFFSHORE--- 1987 HYDROSTREAM VALERO YT for sale?---1978 HYDROSTREAM VULTURE,200 mercury"yard ornament" ETERNAL MEMBER OF THE CULT OF HYDROSTREAM love is grand....,divorce is twenty grand

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its all just fun for me i think with how many small blocks and blg block chevy i built i could do one of them in my sleep i need a challenge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast