Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new to forum and jet boats

hi, i'm new here and hoping i could get some help. i have a little boat experience but new to jet boats. i just got a 1977 hawaiian 17ft trihaul with a sb chevy and a jet pump after a little bit of rewiring and a new reverse cable i got it in the water last night seems to run good but dosent get up on top of the water as fast as i thought it would. was i just getting my hopes up or could some thing be wrong. i'm also including a few pics so hopefully you guys could identify the jet for me and tell me any maintenance that should be done and any other info that you guys might think will help me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how did you set your timing looks like number one is way off unless iam looking at it wrong

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my 70 chevelle set that way a few times. It all depends on if its cloudy or sunny on where the dwell window sits. Miss that car.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jet

Welcome to the site. You might also want to try the Skagen boat forum. We have a real good local bunch of jet boaters. http://skagenboats.com/modules.php?name=Forums

Lots of jet boats in Western WA.

Ya, distributer looks over 90 deg off. Most have the hot and tac wire plug at about 11-12 oclock. Something to look into, maybe this ones different ??
    2005 TRIAD STV EURO
    421 HP OMC 3.3 EFI by STOKER
    16" Taylor mid, Merc sporty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a Jacuzzi YJ pump. Jets are pretty easy to maintain. There are two grease fittings. One in at the front of the pump. You can barely see it on the right side of the tag in that last picture you posted. It has a silver cap on it. The other is inside the nozzle. If you open the reverse bucket and look inside you will see it right dead center. I'm not sure of the maintenance schedule. I'm sure someone wil chime in.

Most everyone will tell you to eiter swap to a berkly pump or to go with an energizer kit. FWIW I am content with my Jacuzzi YJ on my Sleekcraft Rebel. To much work and or $$$ to change over for me. I say keep the YJ and enjoy the boat.

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check your clearance between the wear plate and impellor. the yj can be adjusted by adding shims at the bearing housing to pull the impellor closer to the wear plate, the yj runs a very tight clearance and this will make a hugh difference on your take off. if your motor is in a good tune the boat should jump out of the hole pretty quick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The distributor can be placed in any position as long as they set the timing and firing order to compensate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info so far ill check that stuff out, i havent put a timing light on it yet but seems to run good i was curious about the vacuum advance on the distributor but i figured it might not be used because its not a marine one and i couldn't find any ports on carb.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the pump needs to be shimmed does it have to be disassembled? how big of a job is this ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casej21

We got a big rally going on in your area weekend after next. Check the Skagen site for lower columbia rally. Should be a big party. Im sure many jet boat guys will tell you everything you need to know. We will have many 100 + mph boat running the river. Might even take over Silver lake as a back up if the river gets too choppy.

Lance
    2005 TRIAD STV EURO
    421 HP OMC 3.3 EFI by STOKER
    16" Taylor mid, Merc sporty