Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Over the years there were some porting refinements, especially on the "S" motors and piston changes with fewer/thinner rings. We also wound up with "crescent" lowers during the "overlap years" when we ran both T2x's and V6's on the same sprint hulls in different classes.

T2x
    Thanks for the info. IMO the early to mid seventies was OPC racing at it's best. 100 C.I.D. limit. MM vs. OMC (Chrysler Marine also before bailout) S-OPC really WAS "Single Engine Unrestricted". Open stacks, cowbells, fuel injection, etc. Basically anything goes using standard "pump fuel" or "AvGas". Those WERE the days, my friend. Politics messed up MANY forms of racing, especially among the manufacturers.
    Last edited by swshawaii; 10-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Where can you get one of those
    I think it was known as a "Keller" Speedo with a very long "pitot tube". Problem was no matter how low the tube was in the water, the 30-120 gauge would fluctuate rapidly at top speed with a "variance" of at least 20 M.P.H. "Radar Guns" were a very new technology in the early seventies and hard to "obtain" unless you knew a cop with a "VASCAR" gun. AKA- "RADAR". Only other way to measure "accurate" speed was surveying a measured distance and timing a run.
    Last edited by swshawaii; 10-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swshawaii View Post
    I think it was known as a "Keller" Speedo with a very long "pitot tube".
    Problem was no matter how low the tube was in the water, the 30-120 gauge would fluctuate rapidly at top speed with a "variance" of at least 20 M.P.H.
    "Radar Guns" were a very new technology in the early seventies and hard to "obtain" unless you knew a cop with a "VASCAR" gun. AKA- "RADAR".
    Only other way to measure "accurate" speed was surveying a measured distance and timing a run.
    People would always ask me why we tested with a water speedo if it was so inaccurate..... The answer was really simple and logical.

If prop "A" showed 72 MPH and prop "B" showed 74 MPH....prop "B" was faster, even if you had no idea how fast either one was really going. Those speedos were great tools for comparison purposes only. in later years, by which time we got really busy and running over 100, we were much more into comparative lap times and acceleration from point to point on a race course using a stop watch than actual top speeds, so the speedos were used much less.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    People would always ask me why we tested with a water speedo if it was so inaccurate..... The answer was really simple and logical.

If prop "A" showed 72 MPH and prop "B" showed 74 MPH....prop "B" was faster, even if you had no idea how fast either one was really going. Those speedos were great tools for comparison purposes only. in later years, by which time we got really busy and running over 100, we were much more into comparative lap times and acceleration from point to point on a race course using a stop watch than actual top speeds, so the speedos were used much less.

T2x
    Couldn't agree more re: E.T. being the "winning" statistic, and NOT top speed. Especially on the one mile, two turn course, we competed on. Three pins each turn. Radius 50 feet. The 87 MPH Kober Kat previously mentioned was "giving" at least 10 MPH of top end speed to a few boats, had the course been longer. Difference was the KK's overall elapsed times after a five mile heat was almost always a full two seconds faster than the others, sometimes more.
    Last edited by swshawaii; 10-17-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=T2x;1695937]1. Beautiful looking boat with great lines and mold work

2. Not as fast as it looks.....while the Flatbottom Switzer used a tunnel forward/aft flat design to gain great speed..Carlson was unable to duplicate that.

3. Handling is not good in choppy water..and turning requires skid fins on the bottom or you will slide into the "tulies".

I hope this helps.

T2x[/QUOTE check1 check2 check3 ]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1970 COURTROOM SPECIAL it was called Huntington NY 16 years old with 1979 115hp merc paid $3000 In 1981 GREAT TIME

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3