Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayliner Jazz Wont Accelerate

I took my boat out this weekend and realized that the boat will not accelerate like it used to. First, it was acting as if it was still in neutral.... rpm's would increase, but the boat would only go just a little above idle.

Later, the boat would finally go faster, but it took forever to get up to speed and it would do this only intermittently. The boat will usually get up to around 42 and it barely broke 33-35 range.

Do you think it could be the impeller bushing? It was also vibrating a lot, more than usual.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to S & F
    Check to make sure there are no weeds rocks wood in your pump. It doesn't take very many weeds to cause trouble.

V-king jet boat
    Seadoo speedster 200 310hp
    Hole shot http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...t=MOV00922.flv

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has this happened over time or just at some stage during the day?

If it's over time, have you been pumping alot of sand? Assuming these boats use an axial flow style pump then the impellor OD's (outside diameters) are important.

Each brand will withstand different amounts of clearance. Some pumps won't tolerate much more than .030" clearance between the impellor and stator housing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do i check the pump? When I pulled the boat out of the water, I pushed throttle down and looked in the drive towards the impeller to check for trash and didnt see any.

This started to happen the last time I took it out, then this weekend it started as soon as I put the boat in the water. However, the last time I had it in the water before this weekend it ran fine right before I put it up, but it did act up a little before I took it out of the water.

I was wondering if doing flat spins has anything to with it since you have to reverse the flow of all that water and pressure to do it and maybe something came lose or broke when I did that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a jet drive there is no reverse per say all it does is redirect the water flow forward so unless your cable slipped i would think that its a weed or rock problem. look up in the intake and see if you find anything no matter how small you think it is it will cause this in a jet pump. a buddy of mine bought 2 jet skis friday for a song the po thought there was somthing wrong with one of them. all that was wrong is a rock in the impeller about the size of a half dollar.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For it to happen pretty much that instantly I'd have to agree, either a small rock, weed, rope or some other small debris. Impellor errosion happens over time. Pull the grill off the bottom and take a look around, same with the tail pipe, pull it off and check up it's date

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Jazz used a Force powerhead early on. They were not made to last for too long. You may want to check compression on your engine. I may be wrong about the powerhead. I do remember from my engineering co-op at Mercury that the biggest problem early on with the Jazz was people submarining the boats and having the engines suck up water.
    KOMotion Racing