Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

406,421,434 sbc

Ok i have raced in the dirt cars and have raced a 406 and ran great with no over heating problem. My thought on why was copper head gaskets so the heat could dissapate through the head . with all that in mind why are not people puting together one of the three like a 406,421 or 434 there are a ton of parts to build one. Eagle ,Scat and others offer crank kits and it all is Lighter than a BBC or BBF I understand that if you are going all out then BBC or BBF due to the HP you can get but a well built SBC 434 can make 600 HP pretty easy and i dont know what the most you could get out of one but with the wieght savings thats like adding HP. So what are you Thoughts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    putting a 406 in a boat now will let you know how it works out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, that's a good question... Maybe it could be a longevity issue with the less desirable rod ratio of a dispoportinately long stroke engine, unless the small block is an aftermarket tall-deck block...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes let us know how it works . I wouldnt think that there would be any problem if you build it with like the Eagle kit they use's 6 inch H beam rods. I used one of there complete rotating assemblies in my 360 Sprint car and that engine still live's today 5 years latter and it runs 7500 to 8000 rpm and it made 600 pluse HP
    Last edited by 455maveric; 06-07-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a few guys with aluminum hulls with 434's in them, You do have to build them strong, and neither of theirs are "cheap" motors by any means but both boats perform very well. The one is in a 19 sport hull and can do about 84 mph, could probably scrape 90 set up "loose"

Cheers
    "If you ain't hittin bottom.....you ain't jetboatin!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought it would be faster in an aluminum boat. I had a Elimanator Daytona 19 in 1988 with a 377 destroked 400 with a blower. dint have gps then but the speedo would read 85 MPH at 6200 rpm. Funy thing was Stock rods Stock Crank Bearing spacer on the mains Forged pistons Solid roller cam world prod sportsman aluminum heads and the B&M Mega Blower never blew the engine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 455maveric View Post
    I would have thought it would be faster in an aluminum boat. I had a Elimanator Daytona 19 in 1988 with a 377 destroked 400 with a blower. dint have gps then but the speedo would read 85 MPH at 6200 rpm. Funy thing was Stock rods Stock Crank Bearing spacer on the mains Forged pistons Solid roller cam world prod sportsman aluminum heads and the B&M Mega Blower never blew the engine
    Everything is faster in an aluminum hull Mav

Here is "The General" with the 434, beside my boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0067rr.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in a Jet or V drive, but I have a 406 in my boat. Other than an actual part failure, it has been a good experience so far. Made right at 594 hp/540 ft. lbs tq. Dart Block, Eagle crank, 6" H Beam rods, solid roller cam, Brodix Track1 heads, Jesel shaft rockers, Edel. Super Victor intake, and Holley 950 HP carb. I don't know how much weight affects the balance of jet or v drive boats, but I think my boat would be very unbalanced with an equivalent hp BBC!! Just my .02!!
    22 Velocity with a "little" HP!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love them Aluminum hulls where do you get them? That 406 would be nice 594 Hp sounds like fun. Jet boats like less weight if i put one person in with me it slowed it down more than 5 mph Lighter is better
    Last edited by 455maveric; 06-08-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only really one place to currently buy a "sporty" aluminum boat: Outlaw Eagle In Alberta, Canada. I just quit working there. They are way more money up front but last basically forever and tend to perform very well. They are light and very strong. Trust me if you saw the stuff I do to that little black and grey boat you'd die haha I would have wrecked 50 fibreglass jetboats by now, easily. (search for Xerophobic on youtube and you'll see what I mean)

There is a guy nicknamed VAMI on performance boats forums whos in Florida and has a 21 Eagle tunnel. Similar engine setup to his old glass boat and he's something like 20 mph faster.

Looking for a used race boat is sometimes a good bet, nearly anything can be fixed with these hulls, even huge dents and what looks "fatal". The hulls hold their value extremely well for this reason too
    Cheers

p.s. if you watch my "Brazeau Fun" video on youtube the boat following me thru the shallow rocky part that I point to is The General, but he didnt follow me after that hahaha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the videos I wish i had an aluminum boat. i still need to get the boat i bought if the guy gets me the title on it and the trailer. if i dont see the paper work on thursday I will be in touch with ebay and paypal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    local guy has one in a 20 checkmate and seems to work fine. I would say the size of the boat would be the limiting factor for the big small block. I would also think that a jet boat might be more than the valve train and crank could handle for very long.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

406 small block

I am currently running a blown 406 small block in my boat. I just freshened it last month after 7 years of abuse in 4 different hulls. The only stock chevy parts are the block and the front and rear main caps.Pro Topline aluminum heads, superchiller innercooler, 6-71 blower, hyd roller cam, etc.
    1) 75 Sanger superjet 83 mph
    2) 85 Bitz hydro jet scary 83 mph
    3) 83 Sanger V drive hydro 112mph
    4) 80 21ft Eliminater Daytona 87 mph. Currently running this boat.
    I love the small block and have proven they will last in a jet boat with a little effort.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great 7 years and still going and Small blocks are even cheaper to build than Big blocks and I saw a 434 Stroker kit on ebay for $1199 it had H beam rods 4340 crank,forged pistons,rings & bearings all new I know it not the best stuff but it still is decent stuff
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tab%3DWatching