Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayliner jazz with sportjet 90 - question

i can get ahold of a 1993 jazz with a trailer for 200 bucks. i know the motor would need bored and complete rebuild but i was wondering if there are other motors that will fit besides the sport jet90, because ive heard nothing but bad things with the force powerhead and lack of power. so if anyone knows of any larger or more reliable motor that i can shop for i'd love to have some optiopns. thanks in advance!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 93 I believe, someone correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that in 93 Force was made by Mercury. If it is a force, and not an L-drive, then a mercury sport jet may fit....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have rebuilt a small jet boat exactly like yours. the 90 SUCKS and has problems planing with 3 small or 2 large people (good impeller too!) I dont think if there is any motor that will directly bolt up, mostly due to either bolt patterns or spline count. Unless that is a boat you are directly looking for, I would pass it up.

hell, back when I worked at mercury, we borrowed a 21ft jet boat with a 250 opti powerhead and it sucked with 4 guys in it, not to mention the gas mileage it got.
    Some day... some day it will be mine!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the difference is between L-drives and force??? What i know about the boat is it is a 1993 jazz. Its has a three cyclinder in it with a sticker that says mercury on the motor. through research i learned it must be a sport jet 90. that being said i do not believe it is oil injected as there is a sticker by gas cap instructing to use mixed gas...through more research i learned that the non oil injection sportjet 90s had force powerheads. All this research has taught me that the force sportjets were junk...now im thinking maybe pick it up for 200 rebuild it, sell it for 1k or more then look for another boat...I'm not real sure...what would u do in this situation? Is the 200 buck price tag not such a great deal??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my personal opinion, if its on a trailer, its worth the 200....problem is, if all else fails, can you re-sell it? I have had good force outboards....if you have the know how to go through the engine, I would go for it. I would check the transom, floor and stringers first and foremost. I dont know, could be a good investment, or a hole in the water. Just my 2 cents....