Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300xs issues again

i have a 07 300xs that has been a lemon from day one, now my warranty expiration is looming ( sept. 09). i went offshore sat. and on my return trip the motor would start to bog and surge beyound 4800 rpms. i would stop let it sit and idle for a couple of minutes then it would run good for a couple of minute then repeat the same issue. this went on for 38 miles till i got back to the dock. any ideas? thanks in advance. oh and i check the fuel filters and they were clean.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pier pressure View Post
    i have a 07 300xs that has been a lemon from day one, now my warranty expiration is looming ( sept. 09). I went offshore sat. And on my return trip the motor would start to bog and surge beyound 4800 rpms. I would stop let it sit and idle for a couple of minutes then it would run good for a couple of minute then repeat the same issue. This went on for 38 miles till i got back to the dock. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Oh and i check the fuel filters and they were clean.

sounds like fuel starvation or a restriction in the fuel system.. Put a vacume gauge on it and run the motor under load.. You should see no more than 2lb of vacume @ wot. If you see more.... Possible fuel pickup or the anti siphon valve. Hope this helps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the mechanic called and stated that he founf a wire that comes from the air compressor that was disconnected and the wire was labelled air comp temp. i haven't had a chance to run it but would the wire not being plugged in cause this?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be wise to purchase the extended warranty. Up to 2 more years.
    Last edited by scb; 06-03-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iam thinking that you might be correct in that suggestion. i have heard that it is in the 3k range, any truth in that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pier pressure View Post
    iam thinking that you might be correct in that suggestion. i have heard that it is in the 3k range, any truth in that?
    it's more than that.. 3k is for one year if im not mistaken.. it's like 5600 for 2 years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy sh#$t that really send a strong message as to how much faith mercury has in their product!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You dont have grey fuel lines by any chance. A friend is going through something similar. Pulled his fuel lines and ethanol has eaten up the inside causing restrictions. When he cut his filter apart is was full of little pieces of brown flakey stuff that is the fuel line breaking down from ethanol. I have heard several stories like this that invlove the grey fuel lines labeled as Merc or Tempo.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. Demeanor View Post
    you dont have grey fuel lines by any chance. A friend is going through something similar. Pulled his fuel lines and ethanol has eaten up the inside causing restrictions. When he cut his filter apart is was full of little pieces of brown flakey stuff that is the fuel line breaking down from ethanol. I have heard several stories like this that invlove the grey fuel lines labeled as merc or tempo.
    most of the fuel line that i have replaced have been on boats from 2004-2006. Merc must of had a bad batch of fuel line in those years.. I havent seen any other issues with recent boats. If the goverment goes for the 15% ethanol were in for some bad s@@t.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guy i will check. iam almost 100% that they are black lines but the boat was manufactured in 2004 donzi 23zf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300xs

I have quads on a old midnight, last summer we fought the same problem, inside the VST tank is a small relief valve that lets the fuel by pass inside the tank. This valve was sticking and causing my #4 motor to surge and loose RPM's if it was run harder that 3000. You might want to take a look inside and remove the fuel pumps and clean out the vST tank.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vst tank?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just extended warranty for 2yr on my 300xs, $2915.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You really need to remove the anti siphon fitting on you tank if it's still there.
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com
    Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

Visit My Liberator Boats Website

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont you dare by that Extended warranty for that kind of money....Guys remember, EVERYTHING in the Marine Business is NEGOTIABLE....The mark up on those Ext warrantys is Retarded.....I never suggest them, now and IM NOT BEING A JERK,with the problems Merc is having the last 2 years with Coils,Air Compressors,Lower Unit Exploding (basscat.com,click forum) ETC.....If I were you, if you have just the 1 outboard, Id shop around and see what kind of deal you can get on a NEW Motor, however If you do that, check the Bass Boat forums to see who is having problems and who is not.....Yamahas should be very aggresively priced since they are done with the HPDI and the carbed Loopers...Evinrudes product as in the 3.3liter or for $900 more the 3.4liter 250ho/300 Etec, seriously those 2 brands make an excellent motor, very reliable and their bugs seem to be worked out, Yamahas had the oiling issue and setup issue, BRP had some more, cylinder #2 lean oil mode 2005 early 2006 225hos, not the 200hos or the others, just the HO 3.3liter, later they said it was released about 6 months too early, so you know since then BRP has definitely slowed down releases, and supposedly their working on some more Cool stuff for 2010....anyways I hope your merc is cheap to fix, ALSO, since warranty is out soon, take it to the Dealer, have them go over the HOLE Outboard, the Powerhead,Cylinders,COmplete lap top checkover, Belts, Go over the 3yr service suggestions and see what needs to be done, but dude to spend 5K on a piece of paper that you may never use, your more than a 3rd of the way to a new 250 Series 2 Yamaha, 250 HO Etec, or another 250 Merc......Good luck dude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast