Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 Ebko Stinger Restoration begins...

I am starting my 1st boat project. I have wanted an Ebko tunnel hull since I first saw one in 1981. Turns out a person that I work with and went to High school with had one. His parents purchased it new in 1971 with the 80hp Merc that you see in the pictures. The boat was used on a private sand pit lake and served proudly until around 2004 when the owner purchased a new boat. The Stinger then was used by a family member that did not cover it and allowed water to stand in the cockpit which now has caused the end grain balsa core to rot and make the floor weak. After 3 or 4 years of asking about the boat on monthly basis, I finally was able to bring it home Cheap!!.
    The Stinger that I lusted after in the early 80's was Red, Silver, and Blue with a 150 Black Max inline six.
    I am looking for input on all phases of my rebuild project so feel free to chime in.
    Looks like I will need to remove all reminents of the seat mounts.
    Cut out the center fiberglass to expose the rotted core, but I'm not sure if I should seperate the 1/2's or not.
    GLaguna has offered to donate some Nida-Core that remained after his project, to be used for the core replacement.(Pros/Cons?)
    I need suggestions for the motor.
    I'd like to use a period correct inline 6 150 Black Max, but I'm open to suggestions, maybe the 80 Merc is enough.
    Also ideas for seats, instrumentaion, paint or gelcoat, a way to fix or repair the windshield and how to mount a Ski Pylon on a tunnel hull. Just a small shopping list.
    Here are some pictures of her just before I put her in the shop for the strip down.

Here we go, let the dust fly...

Bye the way, DLouth & djrno36 how did yours turn out?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stinger, Good score! Get ready to itch...and find the last of your patience. Looks like a boat that is worth the trouble.

Separating the hull requires supporting the bottom hull, best to make a jig for it to sit in while you recore, but it makes core and transom repair much more comfortable. (Just imagine grinding core under that deck!)

That boat would look great with an inline 6. I think "Black Max" signifies a V-6 motor. The 150 inlines were "XS" I believe....
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool find!

I have a 72 Stinger (green) that my Dad bought in '73. I also have a second generation Ebko Skibee. We lived in Scottsbluff in the 70s and there were quite a few Stingers around as they were made in Hastings, NE. Kind of hard to find them now, though. This one looks like it is in pretty good shape!

My Stinger has the original '72 Mercury 115 on it. These look and work well on these boats.

Let me know how your project goes!

Dave
    Inlines are Divine!

1959 Delaney Cat
    1972 Ebko Stinger
    1972 Ebko SkiBee
    1973 Tunnelflite Marathon 170
    1976 Cee Bee Avenger 150
    1980 Hydrostream Vector
    1980 Hydrostream Viking
    1986 Contender 17
    2000 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I still have the nidacore, my suggestion is separete the two halfs so you can have better acces and get rid of all the bad core materials about a motor i don`t know much so i cant help but ask anything about fiberglass i am a cetified composites technitian and the best thing i am just around the corner in hastings, soon i will post pics of my skibee i will get it done this week.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful with the windshield!

They are as rare as hen's teeth! Don't let it or the frame get messed up!

Hey Gilbert!, How you doing, bro?

D
    Inlines are Divine!

1959 Delaney Cat
    1972 Ebko Stinger
    1972 Ebko SkiBee
    1976 Cee Bee Avenger 150
    1980 Hydrostream Vector
    1980 Hydrostream Viking
    1986 Contender 17

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stinger

Doing good, how about youself working on my EBKO SKIBEE have all the iterior done and my SS prop in the shop getting a new hub, I will get it in the water this weekend I will post pics of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of those years ago it was white w/red n blue flake stripes.
    had a small engine on it like urs and it was not enough by far.
    I put a 82 225 Merc on it and she was plenty fast!
    Had to jack engine up real high to keep it on the water but feel it was a little to much for it.
    Sold to a budy that did nothing but left it parked.
    I do remember i had to put a support for top cap under dash.
    They are cool little boats though

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dad had a beautiful stinger tunnel hull. garaged all it's life. red fleck with a white canvas top. he put a stainless steel transom plate on the back of his and used a 135 merc motor with a titanium prop, with power tilt, power trim. he has passed away and my stepmom is selling the boat, motor and trailer if you need parts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much for everything?

Quote Originally Posted by riseg123 View Post
    my dad had a beautiful stinger tunnel hull. garaged all it's life. red fleck with a white canvas top. he put a stainless steel transom plate on the back of his and used a 135 merc motor with a titanium prop, with power tilt, power trim. he has passed away and my stepmom is selling the boat, motor and trailer if you need parts.
    I would be interested in buying the whole thing if it is in good shape!

Dave
    Inlines are Divine!

1959 Delaney Cat
    1972 Ebko Stinger
    1972 Ebko SkiBee
    1976 Cee Bee Avenger 150
    1980 Hydrostream Vector
    1980 Hydrostream Viking
    1986 Contender 17

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by riseg123 View Post
    my dad had a beautiful stinger tunnel hull. Garaged all it's life. Red fleck with a white canvas top. He put a stainless steel transom plate on the back of his and used a 135 merc motor with a titanium prop, with power tilt, power trim. He has passed away and my stepmom is selling the boat, motor and trailer if you need parts.
    i`d love to see pictures of you moms boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up W up man nice boat

Quote Originally Posted by 71Stinger View Post
    I am starting my 1st boat project. I have wanted an Ebko tunnel hull since I first saw one in 1981. Turns out a person that I work with and went to High school with had one. His parents purchased it new in 1971 with the 80hp Merc that you see in the pictures. The boat was used on a private sand pit lake and served proudly until around 2004 when the owner purchased a new boat. The Stinger then was used by a family member that did not cover it and allowed water to stand in the cockpit which now has caused the end grain balsa core to rot and make the floor weak. After 3 or 4 years of asking about the boat on monthly basis, I finally was able to bring it home Cheap!!.
    The Stinger that I lusted after in the early 80's was Red, Silver, and Blue with a 150 Black Max inline six.
    I am looking for input on all phases of my rebuild project so feel free to chime in.
    Looks like I will need to remove all reminents of the seat mounts.
    Cut out the center fiberglass to expose the rotted core, but I'm not sure if I should seperate the 1/2's or not.
    GLaguna has offered to donate some Nida-Core that remained after his project, to be used for the core replacement.(Pros/Cons?)
    I need suggestions for the motor.
    I'd like to use a period correct inline 6 150 Black Max, but I'm open to suggestions, maybe the 80 Merc is enough.
    Also ideas for seats, instrumentaion, paint or gelcoat, a way to fix or repair the windshield and how to mount a Ski Pylon on a tunnel hull. Just a small shopping list.
    Here are some pictures of her just before I put her in the shop for the strip down.

Here we go, let the dust fly...

Bye the way, DLouth & djrno36 how did yours turn out?
    I DINT KNOW THEY MADE A PURPLE BOAT LIKE THAT, IT SURE IS NICE TO SEE THEM A LIVE!, I AM GOING TO MEET BILL PHILLIPS THE PRESIDENT OF EBKO INDUSTRIES SOON I SPOKE WITH HIM YESTERDAY HE IS GOING TO GET ME AN EBKO EMBKLEM FOR MY 69 SKI-BEE BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING THAT SAYS EBKO ON IT OTHER THAT THE COAST GUARD PLATE, ANY WAY BILL STILL HAVE A CABIN CRUSER IN ONE OF THE BLDNGS WHERE HE USE TO MAKE THE BOATS AND HE TOLD ME YESTERDAY THAT HE ALSO HAS WHAT HE CALLS A GO-FAST BOAT HE TOLDME IT IS A SPEED BOAT I WILL TAKE SOME PICTURES FOR SURE AND POST THEM HERE, HOW ABOUT YOU BRO HOW IS THE RESTORATION GOING IF YOU WANT I CAN SHIPP THE TWO PC. OF NIDACORE I HAVE FOR YOUR TRANSOM BY UPS OR SMOETHING, ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE PROGRESS?, IF IT WAS ME I WOULD MAKE A QUICK FIBBERGLASS MOLD OF IT AND JUST MAKE IT NEW BOAT OFF IT AND SELL THE OLD ONE, ONE LITTLE SUGGESTION DO NOT PAINT THIS BOAT WITH AUTOMOTIVE PAINT IT WILL FALL OFF AND YOU WILL REGREATE IT I HOPE THINGS GO GOOD FOR YOU MAYBE WHEN IS ALL DONE WILL RACE OUR BOATS AT LOVEWELL LAKE IN WEBBER KS OR AT HARLAND LAKE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is mi ski-bee

AS I SAID HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF MY FINISHED SKI-BEE ALL WOOD HAS BEING REPLACED WITH NIDACORE AND FIBERGLASS THIS BOAT CAN ACTUALLY SET IN WATER AND THERE IS NOTHING THAT WILL ROT IN IT IT IS ALL FIBERGLASS AND NIDACORE NO WOOD LEFT IN IT RE CLEARCOATED WITH CLEAR COAT GELCOAT CALL DURATECH HIGH GLOSS ADDITIVE NEW WIRERING AND ****CHES FUSES BUT KEPT THE ORIJINAL COMPONENTS LIKE THE ORIJINAL LIGHTS AND SPEEDOMETER AND OTHER THINGS THIS WEEK I WILL GET SOME EBKO EMBLEMS FROM THE GUY THAT USE TO MAKE THEM SO ORIJINAL EBKO EMBLEMS TOO HOPE YOU ALL LIKE IT THANKS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS850258.jpg   SS850262.jpg   SS850014.jpg   SS850023.jpg   SS850024.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS850018.jpg   SS850027.jpg   SKBEE EBKO 69.jpg   SS850028.jpg   SS850020.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebko ski-bee

And more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS850031.jpg   SS850032.jpg   SS850037.jpg   SS850333.jpg   SS850074.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GLAGUNA, did Ebko ever get rid of all those molds they were trying to sell on ebay a couple years back?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast