Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nodular crank

well tonight i finally opened the free engine i got from mike moody and i was shocked at what i saw.
    seems like it might have a nodular crankshaft, a huge cam thats in great shape,aftermarket windage tins,performance rod bolts,high compression pistons.performance oil pump and seems like dollars was spent on this one. way beyond what i expected to find even though the gentleman that gave me the engine told me it was low hours on rebuild.

im very geeked up and cant wait to get this one tore down.

i did find some interference damage on the rod bolts for the number 1 piston but cannot find the interference location yet. possibly it was a piece of floating debris or something.

one thing im sure of, my boat is gonna go at least one mph faster when i get it back together.

sure hope one of these blocks still qualify as standard bore and wondering how i identify a nodular iron crankshaft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mike, if i remember correctly that engine was out of a toronado (sp?)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its the big dog?

its definitely got more than what mine has

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mike you might be able to tear it down rehone the cylinders and put it back together and have a strong motor .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get the casting numbers off the crank and block and check online what it came out of and if it was a nodular crank. i dont know if its like a chevy motor where the crank has a wide casting mark by the journals to denote a steel crank someone here should have more info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

digging deeper

tore down the bottom end today and found standard bearings in this thing and could still see the cross hatch on the cylinders that didnt have heavy rust. found the rod bearings quite wore and apparently heavy debris in oil as all damage to bearings was focused in the areas near the oil passages. one set of rods might have been pinched the whole time as they showed heavy wear and signs of some heat. also found a couple pistons to have small marks possibly caused by floating the valves in disgust.
    Lots of great usuable parts regardless.im gonna use my block and crank with the free rods and pistons and cam ,timing chain, lifters and possibly oil pump. my engine had new valve springs retainers and keepers which im installing on the free heads.

im sure everyone would want me to use the nodular crank but my crank is in perfect condition and im never going to build my engine to a point where the added security of the nodular crank is needed.so im selling trading the crank off hopefully for other engine/boat goodies.my block also will be used because its cylinder walls will be within spec after a hone job as it also has recently been rebuilt.
    in true cheap redneck fashion i will be re installing the donor pistons with their current rings as they appear very fresh.

the one thing i still am confused about is what happened to the rod bolts and nuts on cyl. no 1? there is a little bit of scrubbing there somehwre that had to be real loud if it happened while running.

i think this thing might run pretty good!!!

thankx mikemoody69

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check for dipstick interferance.... IIRC Olds has the dipstick up front...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mike, does the damage look severe . worst case u can reuse one of your old rods and just have the piston swapped. when do you think you will be back on the water?