Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16' sportline, by sportster mfg. co. ???

i would really like to find out more about the maker of my boat. it's registered with the CA DMV as a 1968 sportline, and the ID plate says the manufacurer is "sportster mfg. co." anyway, i don't know ANYTHING about it or it's history. whatever meager results i've found googling for pictures and info have turned up very little, or else some completely unrelated cuddy cabin things.

here is the low res pic taken by the previous owner for his craigslist ad:

it's powered by a v4 evinrude 135, is 16' long, and generally goes pretty fast. and there's plenty more speed in her too. with a stainless 21", i have to throttle way back to keep from over revving, and that's with the prop fully hooked up and not blown out. i'm thinking of trying a 23" next.

underneath the rustoleum camo paint job was a nice, disco-fabulous magenta and silver metal flake gelcoat finish. i might try getting that back.

hoping this can spark some memories in somebody in an oldtimer, or a youngster who had one as a kid who can tell me more about these boats. afaik, it has always been here in southern cal.

-peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 05-23-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a 16 Sidewinder.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, tuff. that's promising lead in my research. my FIL is a pro bass fisherman and former research and test driver for one of the big name brands. he said that in the 60's and 70's a lot of different companies came and went and kept and passed around a much smaller number of bottom molds, and merely applied their own top cap.

the sidewinder forum mentions tahiti frequently. as did the previous owner of my boat.

-peter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

better pics to help ID this boat

some better pics here from lake mohave last weekend in case anyone can help better ID this boat of mine. once again, the registration says it's 1968 sportline. the ID plate on the boat says it's a sportline, made by sportster mfg. co.

16 feet exactly, light weight, and 135hp, it's a ton-o-fun.

-peter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1969 16' Wriedt boat that look like your boat, but i dont know what model. the id tag is faded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well damn! That _does_ look a lot like mine. And you're in southern cal too, like me. Do you have more pics? Did you buy your boat here in socal?

-Peter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry bro...Im in nor cal. There are two brenrwoods in cali, on einthe north and one in the south. I bought the boat 4 days ago in San Rafeal, 15 min outside San Fran. I will post more pics soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 1968 Sportline

I do have a 1968 Sportline. It is a 15 ft with the original 1969 Mercury 650. It looks a little different than yours. What little I have found out has been the sportster Manufacturing was in northern California near the castroville area during that time. They built four models that I have been able to determine so far. Al were V-hulls, most were fairly small boats with rather large (for the size of boat) engines. I would love to start a group around these little gems but have not found any owners yet. Good to see someone other than me is putting one to use.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fiberglassics had this sportline brochure

http://www.fiberglassics.com/sportst...sterb64001.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5qdf View Post
    Fiberglassics had this sportline brochure

http://www.fiberglassics.com/sportst...sterb64001.jpg
    hah! you beat me to it. i was going to link you to it, but you saved me the trouble. i juuust found it a couple of days ago.

-peter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,

Is that motor the original motor that came with the boat? Mine looks fairly similar but it has a windshield. I dont know if the windshield is original. On the plate behind the drivers seat it says mine is rated for a 65 hp. I have run the serial number on my motor and it is a 1969 my boat is a 1968 so I assume it is original equipment. I have a friend at the library that is going to see if he can find more info on our boats. So, Stay tuned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, definitely not the original motor. the motor you see is a 1975 v4 evinrude 135hp. the boat is a '68, or so says the ID plate. IIRC, the max rated horsepower was a very generous 115hp. it's a fresh water boat and i live by the ocean, so it's kept at the lake near the wife's grandparents. most old folks on other forums guess it's max rating is like 90hp or so based on the 16 foot length, from tip of bow to transom. but it's for real, says 115 on the data plate. anyway, i don't think 135hp is too overpowered based on that, anyway. it doesn't chine walk and i don't think it's doing over 50mph either. i have to throttle back because the 21" prop is not enough it'll go way past redline in a hurry if i let it. i'm thinking of trying a 23" prop, which may be about the most i can get for this "small gearbox" lower unit.

i don't see any evidence that there ever was a windshield, btw. which i'm fine with, because i like to step up on the bow and do a little fishing every now and then. i don't have trolling a trolling motor or livewells or any of that though, so i'm a _very_ amateur fisherman.
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 07-19-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Your boat looks like it has a shallow hull compared to mine. Mine appears to have a deeper V hull. The Data plate on my boats says max HP of 65. I have not had a change to really open my motor up yet. The first time I took her out the throttle cable split. The next time she died in the middle of the lake. Compression and all looks good. Fuel seems to be dripping down from the front of the Carbs. It had been sitting for about 20 years. I am guessing the Carbs are full of junk and the seals are shot. So I will be rebuilding the carbs soon. I will let you know how she does. I would post pics but cant figure out how to post them. Looks like they need to be independently hosted.

Your boat looks awesome. I bet she screams too!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCRUSSEL...I posted a note in here on your boat....I built it....i;m kinda puter illiterate, so if u want more info on the boat, my email addy is : pedalpshr@cox.net...I will further tell you the driver in the boat wore the name of Dean Brown...if he is still alive, he prolly still lives in So Cal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Stroud View Post
    PCRUSSEL...I posted a note in here on your boat....I built it....i;m kinda puter illiterate, so if u want more info on the boat, my email addy is : pedalpshr@cox.net...I will further tell you the driver in the boat wore the name of Dean Brown...if he is still alive, he prolly still lives in So Cal.
    loren,

great job spotting my boat, thanks! i would like to know everything about it, please. there is almost nothing about sportster mfg. co. or their sportline boats out on the internet. what was your involvement in the company? my boat sure looks a lot like certain tahiti's and like the sidewinder lo-profile model. i wonder if there is some shared dna? i'm going to pm this same message to you and email it to you also. thanks again for making contact.

-peter